Upgrading car HU

Torque6

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I am removing my stock HU + CD changer and installing a new HU. Pioneer/Alpine.

I have always got hold of my car's stockist and bring the parts to my workshop to repair as it is about 50-60% cheaper.

But how about Audio stuff as some of the quotes i get include free* installation. I understand SLT got real good deals on import sets as they have no warrenty, so depends on luck but the price differential quite good. e,g for the Alpine 9887 about 580 vs 700 (local set)

So far these are the prices I am getting after a few calls and driving to the workshop to look see, but prices so far are on the high side and need to put car at their garage 2 days....

- Order Front Din Panel cover for the car $120; cover slots on front

- Removable of old HU + CD changer $100

- Wiring and install of new HU $100

If done at shop = 700+320= > 1k

If buy HU at SLT = <1K.

Any advise? thanks,

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys,

I am removing my stock HU + CD changer and installing a new HU. Pioneer/Alpine.

I have always got hold of my car's stockist and bring the parts to my workshop to repair as it is about 50-60% cheaper.

But how about Audio stuff as some of the quotes i get include free* installation. I understand SLT got real good deals on import sets as they have no warrenty, so depends on luck but the price differential quite good. e,g for the Alpine 9887 about 580 vs 700 (local set)

So far these are the prices I am getting after a few calls and driving to the workshop to look see, but prices so far are on the high side and need to put car at their garage 2 days....

- Order Front Din Panel cover for the car $120; cover slots on front

- Removable of old HU + CD changer $100

- Wiring and install of new HU $100

If done at shop = 700+320= > 1k

If buy HU at SLT = <1K.

Any advise? thanks,

IF u wanna upgrade the HU, you sh upgrade the speaker too.

Depends on whether u plan to have a entry level set up or a high end set up.

when comes to ICE, all about $$. Other than HU, amps, woofers, component speakers, sound insulation are also part of ICE which also cost $$$.

Gd Luck !

from past experience, unless you are going for high-end setup, you are better off getting everything from an installer.

no doubt getting from SLT is cheaper but most of them are export sets hence without warranty. you may run into issue during installation or worse, only months later. by then, your installer may not entertain since the equipment is not supplied by them. even if they do, they have no means of doing an exchange with agent for you.

agree on the speaker upgrade. even if you are on budget, go for a pair of entry-level component speakers. unless your stock speakers are already very good, it's usually one of the most bang for bucks upgrade you can get out of $300-400.

Hijack the thread for a moment.

Anyone know an affordable single din head unit ( & decent looking) that have iphone connectivity for listening to music on. Mine have Aux jack, that is just an input device.

Neutral Newbie

thanks for the update, but I already have a pair of 6" bose speakers. So am looking for just an upgraded HU. Would like to have both an AMP + subwoofer, but my car is a 2 seater with 0 boot space. So not much option. I best guess is an entry level Sony HU with EQ+bass controls.

By the way, how come Panel Din so expensive, isn't it just a piece of plastic?

thanks for the update, but I already have a pair of 6" bose speakers. So am looking for just an upgraded HU. Would like to have both an AMP + subwoofer, but my car is a 2 seater with 0 boot space. So not much option. I best guess is an entry level Sony HU with EQ+bass controls.

By the way, how come Panel Din so expensive, isn't it just a piece of plastic?

Hmm..u driving a 350Z ?

Hijack the thread for a moment.

Anyone know an affordable single din head unit ( & decent looking) that have iphone connectivity for listening to music on. Mine have Aux jack, that is just an input device.

Pioneer 7250SD or Alpine CDA-117

Neutral Newbie

U can install the amp and sub under ya seat

thanks for the suggestion jeff, ya can do that with China Slim steelcase or Focal SB 20, but I think i will be quite uncomfortable with all that thumping on my seat... later tomorrow output "bleeding". LOL.

My initial setup was an alpine AMP on the passenger side with a active subwoofer on the driver seat. MU + AMP should be able to drive the front 4 speakers. No point putting any woofer in the back, cos roof down will muffle the sound.

Neutral Newbie

hi everyone... sorry to hijack this thread... i just got a 2nd hand berlingo but the sound quality is terrible.. i'm used to having a average HT 5.1 in my room with nice bass if you know what i mean...

was wondering, if I would like to change/upgrade my system... what would the cost like..

my wish list-

1. no need top end stuff, nice and acceptable bass with clear vocal is good enough.

2. Got to be affordable

3. Hopefully it can be interchangeable, meaning now i'll get something, like HU, then next month something else.. and all works together...

4. I'm not an audiophile, so no need superb quality or fanciful items..

and I browse through some threads talking bout HU and in dash... got diff?

right now my system is a sony player... those can pop out the lid and at the back there's a small row of connectors..10 cd changer below my front passenger seat.. 2 front speakers, i think it's tweet, 2 at each side of the door, supposingly mid? and 2 at the back.. but just no bass AT ALL...

and my player some buttons spoil alr... cannot next track... only back.. annoying...

please.. all the old birds, experts, DIY owners... and those just wanna comment... help me out... everytime on the music make me feel like reaching for my ipod and earpiece...

Xie xie ni!!

Neutral Newbie

hi bro, i dun knw whether are u interested in getting used sound system or nt? bocz currently i m dekitting my ICE frm my old ride due to the new ride i cannot change my headunit.. below is the setup i have it inside my car. HU pioneer P80RSII used for 4 mths undated warranty, 2 set of helix e136 2 way component spkrs one set of helix precision 3 inch mid spkrs, one set of helix dark blu3 4 channel amp and lazar 10 inch sub with box.. if want to review try to do so tomolow coz sunday i will be dekitting my set. 96938132 do give me a ring

Neutral Newbie

Sorry to hijack as well

I have an existing ICE setup which I want to port over to my new forte.

I was advised that if I wanted to keep the current sound characteristics without changing the forte's HU, I will have to buy a sound processor...2nd hand sound processor about 700 or so..i think =(

was thinking of slowly doing it up..

export my current setup except my old HU to my car when $$ is sufficient(about 400~500 plus cables)

plan to buy 2nd hand processor when have $$

install processor

so my wiring have to plan in such a way that I can accommodate the processor in future...

no other way right?? unless I can live with the specs of the head unit.

I do not want to change the forte's integrated functions...

what do you guys think?

↡ Advertisement