50 Things to remember from my fond 80s childhood

Thargor

486DX2 is mid 90's liao wor

in 1991, my dad bought a whomping Intel 386DX 33Mhz PC for a whooping 3k!! That time it was top of the line as most of my mates are still using 286 PCs.

My 386 comes with 4MB ram and a 85MB harddisk!! Can install tonnes of games. That is before CD-ROM drives are invented.

During those times some newer games have extra features if you make use of "EMM386" expanded memory from the RAM on-top of the 640kb base memory.

eg. Wing Commander cockpit view, the stick steer according to your controls!

Those times, PCs are so simple yet so complex at that time.

In the 80s, Apple II and its clones were the rage...

Still remember one of my favorite games - Gemstone Warrior - some hack and slash game played on a green monochrome monitor...hahah

My 386 was bought in 1989 when I entered uni - already counted as very fast as my friends were still on XT [:p]

No HDD then - only bought a 20MB one a year later for close to S$800 :o

And in the early 80s, there was the Atari console with its joystick and 1 red button...hahah

↡ Advertisement

In the 80s, Apple II and its clones were the rage...

My first PC was an Apple II which was made in 1978.

The PC actually older than me lor...

i started learning programming with that machine when i was 12

I went to my first concert. Bon jovi! I think it was 1992 1993 or something. I wonder how I got the money too...

I think back then romance of 3 kingdom game was very popular, n u can hack the stats via a text file or something. Not my cup of tea, but slot of my friends like to play.

Also popular is championship manager & sim city. Got Godzilla come out after a while. Lol

Turbocharged

maybe we should start a poll and see if most of us prefer the living environment of yester years or now.

For me, yester years are more fun and the games or hobbies we had are no longer the interests of kids now.

i want the pace and environment of yesteryears but technologies of modern days :D

Ya, I remember playing aeroplane game in provison shop.

For ardcade, anyone still remember Small World in Parkway?

Yeah, I remember Small World at Parkway. I was there promoting the He-Man and Skeletor cartoon and I am in the Skeletor suit walking around there.

hmmmm............. I like the vehicles, Vauhall Viva and Ford Carpi (2 doors sport car) ..... [drivingcar]

i thought nobody would remember/heard of the Viva (the coke-bottle shape body).... my neighbour had a capri

Lada (Russian), Subaru Vivio, Madza Astina roamed the roads during that era (or was it in the 90s?)

wasnt there also Subaru Viki?

i want the pace and environment of yesteryears but technologies of modern days :D

I want the pace and enviro and ALSO the technologies of yesterday.... fro example, there's realy nothing wrong with the cars in the 80s... cheaper to repair also due to the low tech design.... :D[bounce2] ..... no need cat converted to 'block' the exhaust system [thumbsup] .... LTA/ROV also seldom bothered you whether you mod or not

remember zone-phone? can only make calls within certain zones.

and writing out a list of songs and then going to a cassette shop in chinatown to get them recorded.

Zone phone, PCN line, CDMA line and of cuz gsm line...

Got my 1st phone a nortel with PCN line. Gsm was too ex... Lol

17-177155-1 ........ Lol pager most frequently paged number

like this post! now all the stuff kids are ever gonna remember are high-tech electronics..

now still got which kid play at the plastic playground [:(]

Now i realize no more swing in the playground, thats my fav item in the playground during my time.

hmmmm............. I like the vehicles, Vauhall Viva and Ford Carpi (2 doors sport car) ..... [drivingcar]

I had this Capri in 2008. It is the later model that was not very popular. Capri nonetheless.

post-18199-1296140083_thumb.jpgpost-18199-1296140092_thumb.jpgpost-18199-1296140099_thumb.jpgpost-18199-1296140108_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement