MAZDA 6

Voxy28

Turbocharged
On 6/1/2024 at 10:37 AM, mersaylee said:

I don't believe in simi it's sealed... lifetime oil...got drain plug means need to drain...for whatever reason...I'd just do a drain and fill with fresh oil within specs...don't flush...change the filter if there's one...

It's also important to go to a workshop that know the proper proecedure for the car model with right amount to fill...reprogram the tcm if necessary...

I came across a video in which life-time transmission fluid is indeed to last the lift-time of a transmission BUT this so-called life-time does NOT mean forever or eternity! If a transmission is to die in say after 7 years the unchanged fluid will of course dies with the transmission in this life-time and that life is definitely a finite period.

I also came across this below video about to change or not to change transmission fluid, although it mainly on Toyota or Lexus fluid (nowadays they also used so-called life-time transmission fluid) but i think the context is applicable to other makes. And generally it is that if you want to change the transmission fluid, then do so at a finite interval, if don't want to change and already way passed conducive change period, then it seems better not to change and hope for the best...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 12:05 PM, DOBIEMKZ said:

I came across a video in which life-time transmission fluid is indeed to last the lift-time of a transmission BUT this so-called life-time does NOT mean forever or eternity! If a transmission is to die in say after 7 years the unchanged fluid will of course dies with the transmission in this life-time and that life is definitely a finite period.

I also came across this below video about to change or not to change transmission fluid, although it mainly on Toyota or Lexus fluid (nowadays they also used so-called life-time transmission fluid) but i think the context is applicable to other makes. And generally it is that if you want to change the transmission fluid, then do so at a finite interval, if don't want to change and already way passed conducive change period, then it seems better not to change and hope for the best...

That's corright...scared then better change...not scared then better pray...😁

Lifetime of oil same as lifetime of gearbox claim is...if the GB ever needs a repair or service means the end of life for that oil...who would put back the old oil after a repair or service? 😂

Internal of a GB all made of metal...sure have shred along the way due to wear...the filter can only do as much...

Edited by mersaylee
  • Haha! 1

5th Gear
On 6/9/2024 at 4:37 PM, Kalthus said:

Hi everyone, I'm looking to get my first car and have shortlisted the 2017-2018 Mazda 6 2.0, any advise if this car is relatively reliable? Anything to lookout for particular for a new car owner who has no experience in buying 2nd hand car?

Understand that this is a mid-size sedan so having a hard time convincing my wife that its not as intimidating as she think it is, as she hasn't driven since getting her license. I have been driving my dad's car on and off for about a decade so not an issue for me. But, do you guys feel that its difficult to get into parallel parking lots or carparks that are well-known to be tight/small?

Also noticed that late 2018 models are facelifted, other than the exterior asthetics, any major differences? Both pre and post 2018 face-lift looks great to me (post-facelift definitely looks better though!) but the latter costs more, so was wondering if its worth the extra $$.

Thanks in advance!

When I first drove the car, I can feel the size difference while reverse & parallel parking. It just takes some getting used to. 

I drive a 2015 Mazda 6 2.0. I have owned an older model and test driven a new model. My take of the difference are

1. NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness): NVH is definitely way better than the pre-facelift model as they have more noise dampening stuff included at the undercarriage and doors. I remember reading some where the feedback given by pre-facelift owners is that the NVH is way worse than it competitiors (Camry, Accord, K5, Sonata, etc) but win in driving dynamics. As an owner, I can confirm the NVH is not that good against D segment cars but better than some "C" segment cars.
  2. Infotainment: No android auto or apple car play. 
  3. Normal or Executive Model: Normal model is very basic, mine doesn't have keyless entry. I recommend taking at least the Executive mode if you're going for the pre-facelift.

Driving or ownership wise, I don't see any major difference besides the upgraded NVH and Infotainment. I have driven multiple times to KL and Genting, its a great car to do long distance driving. I think you will be ok with pre-facelift, just need to check the wear & tear parts.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 6/10/2024 at 2:06 PM, mersaylee said:

That's corright...scared then better change...not scared then better pray...😁

Lifetime of oil same as lifetime of gearbox claim is...if the GB ever needs a repair or service means the end of life for that oil...who would put back the old oil after a repair or service? 😂

Internal of a GB all made of metal...sure have shred along the way due to wear...the filter can only do as much...

the "dirt" you see in the transmission is actually the clutch material and is normal for the fluid to darken a little due to the clutch material. you dont want too much clutch material to be floating around as it can then clog the valve body causing jerky shifts. Yes, the filter can old do so much. but also no need to change filter so often. 120k km change also can. the metal bands dont wear much. if wear then fluid is gone. just drain and fill every 40k is good enough. 

last time i Kiasu and change my parents toyota wish fluid every 20k(drain and fill) bloody overkill. open up the filter at 100k km and the filter only half dirty. 😁

• Praise 1

3rd Gear

The "Battery System Malfunction" on my Mz6 came up. Does this mean it is time to change the battery?

↡ Advertisement