Why Still Can Drive With Handbrake Pulled?

Celicar

Unwittingly drove off without releasing the handbrake today. Leads me to wonder why the accelerator can override the handbrake, anyone knows?

It seems to me it is safer if handbrake overrides accelerator.

Makes me also a little worried that my car mechanism will be damaged if I make such mistakes or that the handbrake will one day fail after parking the car...

[:(]

↡ Advertisement

If you pulled very hard on the handbrake, you will likely be able to overcome the engine power at low throttle position.

The handbrake is only mostly on the rear wheels, also the design strength is not to stop a running car. But to prevent a stationary from moving on it's own weight and gravity!

your handbrake drum shoes will be destroyed if you continue doing it.

over some time, you might smell a burning smell.

I see. Is it easy to check at a typical servicing session or do I have to take apart some sections of the car before I can check the drum shoes?

Your ride is a front wheel drive ? Correct me if i am wrong, your handbrake work on your rear wheel. Remember our driving lesson where we are always told to pull handbrake when on slope.

Handbrake is the only device that can stop your car from moving when it is parked and engine is off.

It does not rely on hydraulics and vacuum which your main brake used.

So the braking action is very limited and not meant for a moving car.

But some people found it useful for drifting. [laugh]

I see. Is it easy to check at a typical servicing session or do I have to take apart some sections of the car before I can check the drum shoes?

The drum brake can be open during servicing by removing the rear tyre and probably a screw or bolt on the drum.

Don't worry too much about the shoes. They can take quite a bit of abuse and still work ok.

Unwittingly drove off without releasing the handbrake today. Leads me to wonder why the accelerator can override the handbrake, anyone knows?

Makes me also a little worried that my car mechanism will be damaged if I make such mistakes or that the handbrake will one day fail after parking the car...

handbrake is somehow a mechanical stuff.

if the handbrake is not pull upwards fully, car is still able to move if you step on the accelerator.

i believe if handbrake is applied not fully, car will not move unless there is a slope. even so, you will notice the movement before you leave your car.

there is now, electronic handbrake, which enables the brakes to fully engaged if you turn it on.

most cars now are still using the mechanical braking.

mine's a footbrake instead of handbrake and still a mechanical braking system.

when i forgotten to release my footbrake and i applied my accelerator, my car will still move.~

but there will be a warning beeping sound and it will indicate "Release Foot Brake" infront of my screen.

Am not confident of my handbrake. Normally at idle, the rpm will alternate sinusoidally cos maybe the alternator load as well as the a/c compressor fan keeps varying. Sometimes i can feel the car shudder as if it can creep forward. Sometimes it does. [:/]

So now i just step on the normal brake pedal just in case.

i only know that by driving with handbrake on, your handbrake thingy (the mechanism inside etc) will be damaged and spoit

Twincharged

I think the handbrake is good enough to hold ur car on slopes but not enough to prevent ur car from moving if u try to accelerate. Even on my car with 1.4l engine also can move off with handbrake if I want to.

My car dun move...

my front wheel spins...

if i pull my hand brake all the way up...

the front wheel tried to overcome the friction on the rear tyre...

so if it does overcome the rear wheel friction?

it will drag your car...

either way... it is not good for both tyres and brakes...

My car dun move...

my front wheel spins...

if i pull my hand brake all the way up...

the front wheel tried to overcome the friction on the rear tyre...

so if it does overcome the rear wheel friction?

it will drag your car...

either way... it is not good for both tyres and brakes...

Hi Ah Guan,

You punishing your car arh? wait the good car become no good car liao. [;)]

Handbrake needs attention/workshop service

If you pulled very hard on the handbrake, you will likely be able to overcome the engine power at low throttle position.

The handbrake is only mostly on the rear wheels, also the design strength is not to stop a running car. But to prevent a stationary from moving on it's own weight and gravity!

Your handbrake knowledge needs enlightenment (inadequate)

Handbrake is the only device that can stop your car from moving when it is parked and engine is off.

It does not rely on hydraulics and vacuum which your main brake used.

So the braking action is very limited and not meant for a moving car.

But some people found it useful for drifting. [laugh]

You got the point. You are right. After some drifting wonder why the carcass failed? (laugh)

handbrake is somehow a mechanical stuff.

if the handbrake is not pull upwards fully, car is still able to move if you step on the accelerator.

i believe if handbrake is applied not fully, car will not move unless there is a slope. even so, you will notice the movement before you leave your car.

there is now, electronic handbrake, which enables the brakes to fully engaged if you turn it on.

most cars now are still using the mechanical braking.

mine's a footbrake instead of handbrake and still a mechanical braking system.

when i forgotten to release my footbrake and i applied my accelerator, my car will still move.~

but there will be a warning beeping sound and it will indicate "Release Foot Brake" infront of my screen.

Can share with us what car you drive? No mechanical handbrake?

↡ Advertisement