Moving the cigarette lighter position

Sofarsogood

Has anyone here got workshop to relocate the cigarette lighter position to somewhere near the top of the front windscreen? It seems the logical thing to do to remove unsightly cables to the GPS, video camera etc. Let me know of any lobang that does this.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Has anyone here got workshop to relocate the cigarette lighter position to somewhere near the top of the front windscreen? It seems the logical thing to do to remove unsightly cables to the GPS, video camera etc. Let me know of any lobang that does this.

Thanks

Yup, i need to clear those messy cables too . Do share with us if you have any workshop in mind. Preferably in the east for me.

Thanks guys, [;)]

I went to Car Beauty to have my GPS power cable hard-wired to the 12V cable below the dashboard. Fairly simple job, most ICE shops should be able to do it very easily.

Cigarette lighter socket is easy to do as well, but if you want it mounted on the dashboard you have to figure out how you want it to be fixed so it doesn't move. Otherwise, the socket will be loose on the dashboard. If it's underneath the dashboard, you have lots of places to secure it do (under the steering wheel), but it's more difficult to access the socket if you want to keep powering different accessories.

Thanks

Definitely possible. However I think the socket would be unsightly. What I would do is add another socket under the steering wheel on the inside, the tuck the wire in and have only the necessary length come out from the side of the instrument panel hood.

Thanks

I think relocating the power socket is a more tedious affair plus it will leave an unsightly gaping hole on your center console. They would just tap the power source from elsewhere and dan just add a socket to where you want it placed. Dun need rocket science to do it so I think anyone familiar with the car's circuitry can do it.

Edited by Watwheels

I think it's pointless to relocate the 12V cig socket.

Like bros mention here.

Either hardwire to a 12V which is car key ACC on/on ACC off/off,

or

get a multi 12v socket splitter. It's just one cable running from your cig socket and you can

place it almost anywhere.

However, note that iif your camera/gps, etc... does not have voltage regulator built in,

then it's advisable to use a 12v regulated socket. Otherwise you'll be feeding your device

higher current depending on your alternator and battery.

i have another question, does any bros have this issue, power for GPS is tapped from car battery, and needs to change GPS...cables also need to change...therefore is it still wise to tap this wire

↡ Advertisement