Lee Kuan Yew - Interview with New York Times

Piyopico

The fear is this bubble. The current high price may never repeat itself without a great leader to pass on his skills to the Yes men.

The lost of confidence in Singapore is very real.

People fear to talk about the old man death.

But we all seen many rich family business, when the patriarch pass away, all the wife,sons,cousins,relatives all will gorged each other till disaster befalls on the company.

The Taiwan 'AI' show on TV every night is a good example.

Dun bother with the local media as they dun provide the full content.

And although the leaves are already falling from the tree, he said, the Lee Kuan Yew story may not be over yet.

He quoted a Chinese proverb: Do not judge a man until his coffin is closed.

In the course of our daily living, it is very easy to become unhappy with figures of authority - our parents, our teachers, our bosses, our government. The frustration that comes about from the struggles and suffering in life seeks a channel to be vented. More often than not, that frustration and resultant anger is directed at those from whom we feel the pressures originate.

It is human tendency to direct blame away from ourselves. Such is the nature of the human psyche. It is part of the survival instinct that is inborn in every single living person. It is much easier and definitely much less painful to think and believe that others, and not ourselves, are to be blamed for the situation. Few will ever point the finger of blame back at our own faces.

Lee Kuan Yew is very much human despite what the media has portrayed him to be over the last few decades. He is subject to physical ailments, mental anguish and emotional stress. The fear of the unknown is existent in even the sharpest and bravest of minds. And the greatest unknown is death. The image of an authoritative ironman struggling with the fear and uncertainty of death is not something that many people are used to.

Yet, this article leads us not to belittle him or to deride his behaviour. Instead, it lets us in on that simple fact that he is as human as any one of us, as fragile as any one of us. It introduces us to the paradoxical notion that the powerhouse who led a nation to its present-day success is also as vulnerable emotionally as all of us.

It invokes the compassion in us, to feel for the man who has fought hard and toiled tirelessly as the father of our nation and leader of our forefathers.

It triggers the empathy in us, to feel for the man who now is facing the greatest challenge of his life.

Gratitude is an important aspect of being human. It is what differentiates us from the beasts. Without gratitude, humanity is but a facetious concept.

Inevitably and invariably, all human beings will succumb to their mortality, Lee Kuan Yew will not be an exception. You and I will one day walk our final days with the same fear and uncertainty of death and the unknown. What we could do now is to extend a simple demonstration of gratitude and respect; if not by reflecting on what he has done for and contributed to the country, then at least by showing basic respect for a fellow man by keeping our mouths clear of defilement while the leaves fall.

This interview is the most human side of him I have seen

Or perhaps Singapore press only dare to/choose to portray him as Superman

So at the end , no one is immune from life

and what is hidden?

A lot of the time, I think you're just trolling. But in case you're not (and for the edification of anyone else who sincerely wants to know), go look up "HPL condo saga" in google and click on the first link. That's a clear example of certain irregularities that took place and were basically hushed up without proper legal inquiry, let alone censure of the guilty parties.

For the record, I respect many facets of LKY's persona. He's very intelligent, knowledgeable and hard-working, and his drive to better this nation in the face of impossible odds is awe-inspiring.

But he does have flaws, like everyone else. This would be fine since it's just an inescapable concomitant of the human condition, but he has publicly portrayed himself and his party affiliates as whiter-than-white and corruption-free. Which is simply not the case, as this incontrovertibly documented event would clearly show.

Respect the man, not the myth. And don't be afraid to call a spade a spade.

Edited by Turboflat4

A lot of the time, I think you're just trolling. But in case you're not (and for the edification of anyone else who sincerely wants to know), go look up "HPL condo saga" in google and click on the first link. That's a clear example of certain irregularities that took place and were basically hushed up without proper legal inquiry, let alone censure of the guilty parties.

eh bro you actually bother to reply to this swine...he is but a prick and should be on yoru ignore list <_< <_<

eh bro you actually bother to reply to this swine...he is but a prick and should be on yoru ignore list <_< <_<

Thanks bro, he loves to troll and I mostly ignore him. But my post was also meant for people who may genuinely not be aware of that event. Lots of young 'uns here. [:)]

This is not the actual transcript leh. also edited one what...

Paiseh, every version out there also seems to be edited.

Maybe wait for the actual video interview lor ........................

:D

although i dun like some of LKY's policies, he still has my admiration and respect...

i will support strongly for him being the Founding Father of Modern Singapore... and also the Founding Father Day (holiday) [sly] [sly]

Edited by Scion
↡ Advertisement