Charging solution for iPod interface.

Madarmour

All,

I've just installed a Clarion EA1251 iPod interface/adapter in my car. I'm using my iPhone 3GS as the source. The problem is the EA1251 does not charge my iPhone.

My installer has mentioned someone got by this problem by using a charging adapter (cig lighter powered?) bought from Sim Lim Square. Priced ard $40.

If anyone know the name of this charging adapter, together with the place to get it, I'd be very grateful. A pic of the said adapter will be very helpful. Any other suggestion will be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

EA1251B.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Hi. certain things to take note of is that iphone 3gs, i touch (gen 2, 3) and iphone 4 require a 'new' type of charger coz it seems that apple was scheming and they revamped the charging system to make older chargers obselete.

USB has 4 wires. 2 for data and 2 for power. Typical and older chargers simply supply power to the power lines. But what apple did was to add power to the data lines as well. So, in order to charge the newer apple portables, you need all 4 lines to have power before it would be allowed by the IC on the appliances to charge. U can run a google search if u care to modify your existing charger.

as for me, im using 3gs and i bought http://store.apple.com/sg/product/TW379PA/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY. prices are the same online and in all other stores selling apple stuff.

then again i think you may be looking at modifying your existing clarion with 2 resistors (10c each from simlimtower) because you will need to use your existing module to control your phone?

I m using Scosche Passport, which you can connect one end to the ipod cable (to the head unit) and the other end to your Iphone. Works perfectly for my Ipod touch. No need connect to cig lighter

Another product you can use is Griffin Charge Convertor....you can get from 3th floor Sim lim sqaure for about $60...

I got my Scosche Passport from ebay for about $40.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Turbocharged

You just need an adaptor to convert from firewire charging to usb charging. Use either device as elepoo mentioned. Though scosche stuff appears to be avail at epicentre booth at comex so you might want to take a look there also.

then again i think you may be looking at modifying your existing clarion with 2 resistors (10c each from simlimtower) because you will need to use your existing module to control your phone?

Bro, thanks for your quick reply. You're right, I cannot use the Belkin-type of car charger as I will not be able to play music at the same time.

As for the resistors solution, it is really beyond my limited understanding in electronics.

Thanks anyway! Much appreciated. :D

I m using Scosche Passport, which you can connect one end to the ipod cable (to the head unit) and the other end to your Iphone. Works perfectly for my Ipod touch. No need connect to cig lighter

Another product you can use is Griffin Charge Convertor....you can get from 3th floor Sim lim sqaure for about $60...

I got my Scosche Passport from ebay for about $40.

Hope this helps.

thanks

Bro,

Thanks for your quick reply! I think this Scosche Passport might just be the thingamagic I'm looking for. My Clarion EA1251 iPod interface is supposed to be able to charge older iPods.

314LbpxpM8L.jpg

I think the Griffin Charge Convertor will work too! Many thanks!

Cheers!

I am taking this opportunity to ask which HU has the best compatibility with iPod Touch/iPhone?

My Pioneerr 4150 is almost perfect in everyway with them including charging them until I recently upgraded the firmware to 4.02, they now play with intermittent moments of very brief silence, still liistenable but very irritating.

I am willing to change the HU if necessary and any help is appreciated.

Jaw

I am taking this opportunity to ask which HU has the best compatibility with iPod Touch/iPhone?

My Pioneerr 4150 is almost perfect in everyway with them including charging them until I recently upgraded the firmware to 4.02, they now play with intermittent moments of very brief silence, still liistenable but very irritating.

I am willing to change the HU if necessary and any help is appreciated.

Jaw

i'm using 4250... no prob except cant display chinese.....

4150 and 4250 compatibility with ipod/iphone shouldn't differ, have you upgraded to firmware 4.02?

nope... dun intend to upgrade also unless got drastic diff, eg can display chinese else wat's e point?

Neutral Newbie

Scosche Products: Charging adaptor for Ipod & Iphone. Get it from

Vozaudio (S) Pte Ltd

7030 Ang Mo Kio Ave 5

#07-35

Singapore 569880

Tel 6570 6751

Edited by Swoosh

Neutral Newbie

I had recently installed an ipod cable to my stock headunit. It can be used with my Clarion headunit too and it charges my iphone as well. Heard from the installer that this cable is suitable for a few car brands like Honda, Suzuki, Toyota, VW, Fiat, etc. I got mine installed at $180. Just plug and play.

It works well with my stock headunit but controlling the iphone from the headunit is a bit not so perfect cos the timing and the track number does not tally. But whatever is being played on my iphone can be played through my stock headunit. At least it is still able to control through the audio control buttons on my steering wheel. I think it is great to use even though it is not perfect.

Interested parties can PM me for his contact.

↡ Advertisement