Connecting MioTV to PS3

Yogi

Question to all the PS3 techie and gurus here :)

I understand MioTV is powered by MS MediaRoom and if that's the case, will it possible to use PS3 to detect it over the home network and be able to use it to stream the contents over to the PS3 box?

↡ Advertisement

u mean mio tv content to PS3 and to TV???

I dont think can leh bro...

Ya, was hoping to be able to do that..... my mio box only coming next week, so cannot try yet, was thus hoping some bros here have tried. Maybe better luck with X360 as I understand that they have a built-in mediaroom client.

if not wrong, PS3 have to stream thru PC device not a standalone device like MioTv

I see... if that's the case, then it will be a matter of extracting out the stream/content onto a PC device which then server as a media server... but I thought that's what the mediaroom was supposed to be? Sorry, I'm just asking questions and shooting off as I don't have a chance to try yet....

(edited)

u try la..if can..u can teach all of us.. [:p]

Heheh... I will defintely try, but dun place too much hope... I am a technical moron [laugh] I only can conjure up high level fuzzy concepts :)

Edited by Yogi

Heheh... I will defintely try, but dun place too much hope... I am a technical moron [laugh] I only can conjure up high level fuzzy concepts :)

U sound alot like our fren AGG [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Ang kee kee is here.. hehe.. This is interesting. I've not done or research it before.

But let me attempt to explore this.

Do you mean u want to connect your mioTV to PS3 and use PS3 as the sole output (like a amplifier) to your TV, meaning all audio/video output from your mioTV will go to PS3 first, then hv it redirect to TV?

Assuming it can be done, looks like it is going to be an overkill for the old phat PS3 because it tend to generate a lot of heat. PS3 slim will have less heat problem, but doing so might make u less greener (extra electricity on ps3). It might cause premature hardware failure since u r going to use it heavily.

But is there a reason why u chose to do so instead of the conventional of connecting mioTV to TV directly, then PS3 to TV separately?

I have taken a look at the available connectors (sorry, dunno what shld be the right term for it) for a PS3 slim and it doesn't seemed to have a "compatible" input source, unless u r considering the LAN point.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10109_7-10001...;tag=mncol;thum

In this pic, the 3rd connector is something that I have not used before, dunno what is that either.

Sorry ah, I am not using mioTV, so a lot of guess-ti-mation here.

I'm just trying to contribute some info here for this interesting topic. ^_^

Edited by Angguguay

It should be not possible.

PS3 is workable to media server via UPNP and other format.

MIO tap signal from the modem (or one of the port from router) cabled directly and output via analog cable or HDMI cable or s-video... to TV. There is no way you can tap any signal from the MIO and go through PS3 before TV....

MIO box actually convert the demodule frequency from modem to another frequency which able you to see and heard on TV...

I give up MIO box long ago... don know if the setting have change...

my 2 cent worth....

Hi AGG,

That's an interesting point. My original intent was to have the standard Mio to TV setup in the living room, but as my place is fully wired up, I have LAN points in all rooms. Hence I was hoping to "tap" on to the Mio box via LAN and be able to also stream it across the network to another room which I have my PS3 (hooked up via LAN as well).... In this way, I was hoping to avoid getting another set-top box/fix line number etc etc and also minimize the physical moving of the Mio box + modem if I want to watch it in another room :) Cheapskate I know, but I just thought it should be interesting to test it out and also I felt the mio way of delivering content is quite cumbersome.

It should be not possible.

PS3 is workable to media server via UPNP and other format.

MIO tap signal from the modem (or one of the port from router) cabled directly and output via analog cable or HDMI cable or s-video... to TV. There is no way you can tap any signal from the MIO and go through PS3 before TV....

MIO box actually convert the demodule frequency from modem to another frequency which able you to see and heard on TV...

I give up MIO box long ago... don know if the setting have change...

my 2 cent worth....

Think you are right - the mio box is a descambler for the signal, bypassing it would not work...

Neutral Newbie

Hi AGG,

That's an interesting point. My original intent was to have the standard Mio to TV setup in the living room, but as my place is fully wired up, I have LAN points in all rooms. Hence I was hoping to "tap" on to the Mio box via LAN and be able to also stream it across the network to another room which I have my PS3 (hooked up via LAN as well).... In this way, I was hoping to avoid getting another set-top box/fix line number etc etc and also minimize the physical moving of the Mio box + modem if I want to watch it in another room :) Cheapskate I know, but I just thought it should be interesting to test it out and also I felt the mio way of delivering content is quite cumbersome.

not cheapskate lah, it will be great if it works. I used to "abuse" my ps3 alot too, always curios to see if this n that works.

not sure if Linux OS (alternate OS for PS3) will help but anyway Sony has already removed this "feature" from the slim version. Unless u owned the old phat version, then it might also worth exploring if an alternate OS would help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS

http://www.linuxps3install.org/

But again, this is unlikely to work afterall after having read Koko's contribution. If Mio cannot output a compatible format, there isn't much we can do also.

Edited by Angguguay

Hi AGG,

think it easier to get a cordless mio box for additional of 12.84/mth.

↡ Advertisement