Mercedes Vs. Bmw- Quality and Reliability

Stanley30949

2 hours ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

This sounds quite bad since this means just 15k km yearly n I believe is average mileage. 

May be I clarify my motivation. Most new Japanese car costs >sgd10k depre but the safety features n drive may lose to a 10yo conti. Most 10yo E n 5 series in sgcarmart have depre below sgd9k so I figure if yearly maintenance n repair costs sgd1k still kinda breakeven. Thus useful to know the big ticket items e.g. gearbox if it is probe to repair at this mileage. 

Old conti have low listed depreciation because used car buyers avoid them like plague. It is due to low demand and high supply (because many conti owners also buay tahan, wanna get rid of their old ride)

1k annual maintenance and repair cost? You are joking.... just do normal maintenance and regular change tyres and filters will at least be 1k. You are assuming zero breakdowns or parts replacement. That is more difficult than hitting jackpot.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

One thing confirmed that needs repair by 7 or 8 year old is the roof lining for German cars, even if parked under shelter all the time.  Don't understand why the Germans cannot make this part to be of normal quality like Japanese or Swedish cars. 

Cos they like glue or clip the roof lining. After 10 yrs very easy to come off

also i think probably they got put soundproof layer so add more weight to lining. 

Thats why when raining, conti vs jap can feel the diff lol

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Davidtch said:

In term of safety features, new Japanese car with safety suite definitely better than 10 year old E or 5.

In term of crash protection, new Japanese car definitely better than 10 year old E or 5.

The biggest difference is E or 5 from those era has stiffer chassis than current New Japanese car.

These car will not be cheap in term of maintenance especially it had been abused by previous owners.

Lastly are you willing to spent time to learn about your car?

Thanks all for your comments  this is the sort of info I am missing. 

Not sure what you mean by learn about my car. If you mean to find new problems over time n frequent workshop visits then my answer is no. But learn to use it properly then I am fine. 

Based on the feedback I conclude my idea of old conti vs new jap is invalid.

NB my comparison is something like corolla or Mazda 6 (~sgd100k-110k) vs 10yo conti, not a Lexus.

3 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

1 Year Maintenance & Repair Costs $1,000.?Where got so cheap.?Inc some Items,make it like $3,000 more like this,if S-Class or 7 Series,prepare $5,000 at least per Year if the Used car mileage exceeded 150,000Km.

$1k? My 3.5 yrs old bmw f10 required almost $6k in a year. Mileage still below 60k km. 

I cant imagine if its 150k km. 

• Haha! 1

40 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Old conti have low listed depreciation because used car buyers avoid them like plague. It is due to low demand and high supply (because many conti owners also buay tahan, wanna get rid of their old ride)

1k annual maintenance and repair cost? You are joking.... just do normal maintenance and regular change tyres and filters will at least be 1k. You are assuming zero breakdowns or parts replacement. That is more difficult than hitting jackpot.

With my mileage I think only need to change tyre every 2-3 years, which I excluded in my assimption of 1k pa.  For sure expect to fix few items at time of receiving the car. This can be 5k  then 1K-2k pa for the rest of the ownership period. 

4 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Cos they like glue or clip the roof lining. After 10 yrs very easy to come off

also i think probably they got put soundproof layer so add more weight to lining. 

Thats why when raining, conti vs jap can feel the diff lol

It's the spongy layer that disintegrates. Can't last 1 COE cycle. 

• Haha! 1

Just now, Thaiyotakamli said:

$1k? My 3.5 yrs old bmw f10 required almost $6k in a year. Mileage still below 60k km. 

Wow. This is costly.  Then I must thank my wife stopping me getting a 2 series last time n ended with a Japanese car.

2 minutes ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

With my mileage I think only need to change tyre every 2-3 years, which I excluded in my assimption of 1k pa.  For sure expect to fix few items at time of receiving the car. This can be 5k  then 1K-2k pa for the rest of the ownership period. 

If the conti car is fairly simple and basic, maybe you can manage 1 to 2k a year. You will have to source parts yourself on the internet. 

If you want less trouble, but still Conti, maybe consider Volvo. Definitely much more reliable than Germans (don't expect similar handling).

4 minutes ago, ConnorMcLeod said:

Wow. This is costly.  Then I must thank my wife stopping me getting a 2 series last time n ended with a Japanese car.

U buy brand new with warranty nvr mind

but if buy coe need set aside some $$$. Of course depend on luck too whether u get lemon conti as my friends f10 doing quite ok. 

Also need set aside time to visit workshop. One year i visited 4-5x and breakdown also. Very inconvenient. But i will still buy conti again hehehe

now i buy new skoda instead of used 3yrs old 5er or e class. At least i got covered for 5 yrs by agent

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Volvobrick said:

If the conti car is fairly simple and basic, maybe you can manage 1 to 2k a year. You will have to source parts yourself on the internet. 

If you want less trouble, but still Conti, maybe consider Volvo. Definitely much more reliable than Germans (don't expect similar handling).

Volvo? Lol I got 1 friend drive S60. He visit workshop as much as my f10 lol

3 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

U buy brand new with warranty nvr mind

but if buy coe need set aside some $$$. Of course depend on luck too whether u get lemon conti as my friends f10 doing quite ok. 

Also need set aside time to visit workshop. One year i visited 4-5x and breakdown also. Very inconvenient. But i will still buy conti again hehehe

now i buy new skoda instead of used 3yrs old 5er or e class. At least i got covered for 5 yrs by agent

I tried the Skoda Superb n Octavia. Design wise I am ok. The lift back(?) is a feature I like. Not sure was it me or the test drive car, the pick up is not as strong as I expect ( I tried BMW 3 n Subaru Forester XT before n n the pickup was strong )  

Having said that I rode in a few Skoda when I have biz trip in Europe n was very good. Just the gadgets set it apart from my german colleague's VW. 

10 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

WS boss/admin chio? 😆

I have various Volvos for more than 15 years ( The biggest items so far - 1 radiator fan, engine mounts, coils (they will die around 120k km).  The rest are wear and tear like filters, pads, shocks. I have never even serviced the air cons.

But now Volvo is owned by Geely. I can't comment on latest models. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I think it's a luck thing. I had a new 850 last time n needed to change gearbox 2 times in first 2 years. My friend's 850 bought around the same time was fine. 

1 hour ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Conti all the same. Wear on parts is usually higher. But of course the drive is nicer. Conti parts just don’t last. 
merc bmw has ECU failures.  rather rare in Japanese. 
these things bug me. I’m ok with typical wear like aircon, suspension, engine mounts. But not ECU, fuse boxes, ignition and steering locks. 

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Please don't buy contis. 🤣

Actually it is true, if one have to live in fear driving a conti, dont buy. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

F10 so bad meh?
Or your mileage very high.

↡ Advertisement