Down memory lane - Old Cinemas

Cdrarities

Neutral Newbie

Some old movies screened at closed and forgotten cinemas. See how many have you watched there.

I have watched movies at Changi, bedok, liwagu, hollywood, happy cinemas.

post-68622-1277909753_thumb.jpg

post-68622-1277909768_thumb.jpg

post-68622-1277909780_thumb.jpg

post-68622-1277909789_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

the oldest that i can remember is near bukit timah 6th avenue.

open air with netting. raining day must wear clogs, bring own umbrella, papers to sit on if u nvr bring own stool.

(edited)

I've watched all of them as I grew up in the 80's as a teenager. Gosh, how I miss that era...carefree days of wham, duran duran etc. In fact, I grew up having Cathay cinema as my next door neighbour, managed to sneek in or I would say watch for free many movies since I was little kid...all the aunties, uncles ushers and ticket collectors all know me as the neighbourhood kid. Haha... Movies shown at Cathay thati remembered watching for free when I was a kid includes, the incredible Melting man, Herbie series, fantasia, pinnochio, shangrila-the lost horizon, etc. ah....fond memories keep gushing back now...I wish I'm a kid again [bigcry]

Edited by Garis

open air with netting. raining day must wear clogs, bring own umbrella, papers to sit on if u nvr bring own stool.

nod nod....i remember one such cinema along jalan bukit merah which i went quite often in the 70s. The open air cinema situated on the rooftop of a 3 storey shop house. Like those shop houses found along smith street now. i think 10 or 20 cents per head. My grandpa diy stools for the whole family. He was really one superb carpenter. Nowaday how many of us can diy stool? My happiest childhood days ! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Another one is King cinema along kim tian road. Kah Chiang Pu teh 5 cents only ! Ticket was 50cent for adult if i remember correctly. Well i got in for free as i was still a boy boy then.

Pre - Great world city used to have 3 or 4 cinema there. Some sort like our current "integrated resort". You can find games, pool, arcade, joy ride(roller coaster and haunted house were my favourite), night clubs, gambling dent(illegally), and of course the many cinema all under one roof. Those born before 80s would know.

The "3 world" mean anything to you? Gay world, big world and the new world. All are amusement park. Don't mistaken it like our current pasar malam. The scale is 3 fold or 4 fold bigger and its situated on a permanent site. Who say we never have IR!

[drivingcar][drivingcar][drivingcar]

kallang bahru used to have one cinema too.... remembered watching Gong Xi Fa Cai which was starring Alan Tham there with my parents.

Neutral Newbie

there is one at thomson road....just outside the main road of Sin ming plaza....京 Du cinema..anyone know?

This one is called Imperial Cinema.

But it was a "open air" one before they rebuilt it in the 70s.

Neutral Newbie

kallang bahru used to have one cinema too.... remembered watching Gong Xi Fa Cai which was starring Alan Tham there with my parents.

This one is Mandarin Theatre, the building is still there I think.

Neutral Newbie

I've watched all of them as I grew up in the 80's as a teenager. Gosh, how I miss that era...carefree days of wham, duran duran etc. In fact, I grew up having Cathay cinema as my next door neighbour, managed to sneek in or I would say watch for free many movies since I was little kid...all the aunties, uncles ushers and ticket collectors all know me as the neighbourhood kid. Haha... Movies shown at Cathay thati remembered watching for free when I was a kid includes, the incredible Melting man, Herbie series, fantasia, pinnochio, shangrila-the lost horizon, etc. ah....fond memories keep gushing back now...I wish I'm a kid again [bigcry]

Then you must remember " Orange Julius " . . .. . .

Best orange juice drink then . . . . .

Wonder if they're still around somewhere ?

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

nod nod....i remember one such cinema along jalan bukit merah which i went quite often in the 70s. The open air cinema situated on the rooftop of a 3 storey shop house. Like those shop houses found along smith street now. i think 10 or 20 cents per head. My grandpa diy stools for the whole family. He was really one superb carpenter. Nowaday how many of us can diy stool? My happiest childhood days ! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Another one is King cinema along kim tian road. Kah Chiang Pu teh 5 cents only ! Ticket was 50cent for adult if i remember correctly. Well i got in for free as i was still a boy boy then.

Pre - Great world city used to have 3 or 4 cinema there. Some sort like our current "integrated resort". You can find games, pool, arcade, joy ride(roller coaster and haunted house were my favourite), night clubs, gambling dent(illegally), and of course the many cinema all under one roof. Those born before 80s would know.

The "3 world" mean anything to you? Gay world, big world and the new world. All are amusement park. Don't mistaken it like our current pasar malam. The scale is 3 fold or 4 fold bigger and its situated on a permanent site. Who say we never have IR!

[drivingcar][drivingcar][drivingcar]

I think those who knows about the "3 Worlds" must be a little bit Ah Peh already [laugh]

Great got Sky and Globe IIRC.

New world in Kitchener Road and Gay world in Geylang got Music studio, can go practise with electric guitars and drum sets.

And not forgetting got "Bugah Tanjong" as well, where you can buy a coupon for 20 cents or something like that and dance with the mostly if not all Malay hostesses, complete with live music . . . . . . .

Hahahahahah those were the days.

Edited by Driver57

I only remember the open air cinema at Holland Village. It was where 'Windmill mall' now stood. HV was a rough place...lots of fights.

Then you must remember " Orange Julius " . . .. . .

Best orange juice drink then . . . . .

Wonder if they're still around somewhere ?

There's a stall outside Wheelock Place ... [:p]

anyone watch old cinemas @ east ? lee lee, galaxy, forget the name near the parkway ...

my 1st movies were BLACK HOLE and Starwar 1 & 2

hmmmmmmmmmm..................... I remember Kok Hwa Theatre along Yio Chu Kang Rd near to Upp Serangoon Rd.....

back those days, 25c per ticket only ........ -_-

I can never forget Rex Theatre............

First theatre to install Sense-surround speakers and the show was "Earthquake" .............. [dizzy]

The vibration feeling was shiok ......... [inlove] . Even the stalls along the lane beside Rex theatre also complaint that their drink glasses vibrates. [bounce2]

↡ Advertisement