Magnetic oil sump nut

Rickster86

Neutral Newbie

Planning to go for servicing within this mth thus thinking if replace the OE nut to a magnetic 1 will be useful.

Any one had that in your ride? Wonder if it is really useful in sucking metal debris from EO.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I think being able to capture ferrous metal should be more then enuff. Can't possibly expect capturing micron debris.

Nope. Not needed. If you want, stick magnets to your oil filter instead. Its easier since you don't need to clean the magnet when you replace oil filter.

Btw, don't spend money to buy those oil magnets from autobacs.... Crazy price. Just rip out some from your old spoilt HDDs. They are neo magnets. Very powerful.

samething for those fuel magnets. If you want to try out fuel magnets, don't spend $$$ to buy them. Use those HDD magnets instead.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Can't comment whether they are "Needed" or "Useful" or not. I can only tell you I have one for transmission and one for engine oil. Every oil change for both at 10K I can see metal shavings at the end of it when I take out the bolts. So it's definitely working. Not very tiresome to clean unlike some say. You juz use a clean rag to wipe clean then put back. What's so difficult.

Bri mini-itx have also raised raised a valid point abt using your neodynium magnets from HDDs. Yes, they're powerful, yes they'll easily "out-attract" metal shavings compared to magnetic nuts. But you can only stick them at the bottom of your oil pan. They (the debris) dun get flushed out. Just stuck to bottom of oil pan for the rest of the car's life.

3 years ago I also did up some lame project involving taking out the oil pan and getting half a dozen HDD magnets stuck to the inside of the oil pan. That works the best but only if you have access to jacks, a spare oil pan in case you strip the threads, like what I stupidly did when the nut seized [:(] and most importantly, willing to take out the pan regularly to get rid of the metal debris. You can also leave them there permanently but personally juz dun feel good knowing there's things stuck there and although will not run about the system, I'm not doing anything..

Cost wise not very ex. I got mine from my car make's forum. Was 60 bucks for J's racing ones for trans and engine. Hope I helped

Edited by Melvyn

Neutral Newbie

U guys mean take cut the HDD and paste onto the pan? But when during EO change, have to take out the HDD metal parts right other wise the debris will stick inside?

Can't comment whether they are "Needed" or "Useful" or not. I can only tell you I have one for transmission and one for engine oil. Every oil change for both at 10K I can see metal shavings at the end of it when I take out the bolts. So it's definitely working. Not very tiresome to clean unlike some say. You juz use a clean rag to wipe clean then put back. What's so difficult.

Bri mini-itx have also raised raised a valid point abt using your neodynium magnets from HDDs. Yes, they're powerful, yes they'll easily "out-attract" metal shavings compared to magnetic nuts. But you can only stick them at the bottom of your oil pan. They (the debris) dun get flushed out. Just stuck to bottom of oil pan for the rest of the car's life.

3 years ago I also did up some lame project involving taking out the oil pan and getting half a dozen HDD magnets stuck to the inside of the oil pan. That works the best but only if you have access to jacks, a spare oil pan in case you strip the threads, like what I stupidly did when the nut seized [:(] and most importantly, willing to take out the pan regularly to get rid of the metal debris. You can also leave them there permanently but personally juz dun feel good knowing there's things stuck there and although will not run about the system, I'm not doing anything..

Cost wise not very ex. I got mine from my car make's forum. Was 60 bucks for J's racing ones for trans and engine. Hope I helped

Can stick it to oil filter instead? [confused]

U guys mean take cut the HDD and paste onto the pan? But when during EO change, have to take out the HDD metal parts right other wise the debris will stick inside?

u are suppose to stick to the oild filter. NOT oil pan or any other parts !

so all the loose fine metal will be at ur filter when change oil , filter use and throw.

no one so eng to remove ur oil pan one.

Just stick it to oil filter will do.