Suspected New ERP gantry along Lornie Road

Pippo20

Neutral Newbie

you guys know what to do during the coming big E [mad]

I think will activate this gantry only after election, haha..

↡ Advertisement

you guys know what to do during the coming big E [mad]

If the govt only knows how to spend(our tax$) and not do a thing about putting the $$$ back, then I am worried.

Maybe we should look at the Greece situation as a example.

Turbocharged

I would have thought the basis of any such suspicion should be some hint of gantry construction, isn't it? Or are they pre-fabricating the gantries nowadays?

[confused]

If the govt only knows how to spend(our tax$) and not do a thing about putting the $$$ back, then I am worried.

Maybe we should look at the Greece situation as a example.

Coincidentally, i just googled the amount of public debt (gross) that Singapore (the state) has amassed. It is about 117.60% of our GDP. In terms of percentage, Singapore is in no. 8 position. In terms of absolute amounts, i think Singapore will be much further down the list to be sure.

Well i do understand that a country's public debt may not always be perceived negatively. For example with all things else being equal, two countries A and B. A has a higher public debt than B. It is plausible to assert that A has had a better credit rating than B thus creditors has lent to A as reflected in the higher public debt.

I am sure this staggering % is due to Singapore's aggressive growth measures in recent years. While a country pursuing economic growth is expected to have public debt to a certain extent, i am concerned that this public debt is kept in check.

This brings me to another area. Why and how did Singapore acquire so much debt in the first place?

Although I wouldn't assume that the ERP may soon come to Lornie Road due to the presence of sensors/transmitters that may sound off the IU unit, but I don't discount the possibility that it may be reality as I've recently observed and increased activity of human surveyors and traffic trackers deployed on the Overhead bridges and at the side of the roads at various hours (peak and off-peak) along Lornie through to Farrer Road and right up to Commonwealth to gather statistics on daily traffic. This is usually a prelude to some report that may determine if ERP would be justified for that particular road. As you'd all be familiar, they'll use stats like the total number of cars on peak/off peak and the 'average speed' at those hours to arrive at the conclusion.

Coincidentally, i just googled the amount of public debt (gross) that Singapore (the state) has amassed. It is about 117.60% of our GDP. In terms of percentage, Singapore is in no. 8 position. In terms of absolute amounts, i think Singapore will be much further down the list to be sure.

Well i do understand that a country's public debt may not always be perceived negatively. For example with all things else being equal, two countries A and B. A has a higher public debt than B. It is plausible to assert that A has had a better credit rating than B thus creditors has lent to A as reflected in the higher public debt.

I am sure this staggering % is due to Singapore's aggressive growth measures in recent years. While a country pursuing economic growth is expected to have public debt to a certain extent, i am concerned that this public debt is kept in check.

This brings me to another area. Why and how did Singapore acquire so much debt in the first place?

errr are the CPF contributions govt owes us considered public debt (of course minus the ones with kosong cpf cos of housing loans)

Supercharged
(edited)

Interference from Mediacorp's transmission towers? Oy maybe from one of the nearby houses' security systems. Heard one of the Gen 1 Lee brothers lives in Sime Rd.

Edited by Kklim

errr are the CPF contributions govt owes us considered public debt (of course minus the ones with kosong cpf cos of housing loans)

Actually more than that also. From my impression, how national development works is like this. For example to build HDB flats (excluding DBSS), traditionally HDB got to borrow $$ in order to buy the plot of land and then develop it etc. It services the loan as what any other private developer does. I read somewhere that the serviced interest is rather high almost 8% (I am not sure why HDB happily goes for such bloodsucking interest rates) So what HDB borrowed counts towards public debt. If you think that whatever we pay HDB goes back to HDB and heck what we pay is quite a few folds anyway :ph34r:, first thing we must remember is that nobody pays full sum upfront or is allowed to do so. So capital recovery takes a substantial amount of time. Secondly, i think the influx of funds back to HDB are diverted elsewhere :ph34r:

So HDB is saddled with the said loans and just paying the interests bit by bit.

Another case in mind is the MRT network. SMRT as contrary to what many people think, is just a service operator. The construction outlay is not pegged to SMRT. Had that be the case, it would never be able to go for a public listing since its earning to debt ratio as well as shareholder equity would be ridiculously shitty.

The now defunct MRT Corporation was the organisation tasked with the construction. It is now subsumed by LTA. So LTA is the said entity being saddled with this debt/loan.

All these loans count towards public debt since every FY, these entities depend on their annual handout in the Annual Budget to pay off their liabilities etc.

You suprised? I am not, when we do not have rubber trees to be tapped, no palm oil to barter, no sugar cane to harvest, no rice to export. Even water have to be bought.

Supercharged

the jam is caused by the stupid road construction at farrer road that is under progress for past 10+ years!!

once the damm construction is done, no more jam liao

(edited)

You suprised? I am not, when we do not have rubber trees to be tapped, no palm oil to barter, no sugar cane to harvest, no rice to export. Even water have to be bought.

The intriguing point here is that 100% of this public debt is domestic debt since Singapore has been quoted to be carrying 0% foreign debt from 1995.

HAIZ, the fate of us Sillyporeans

Edited by Happily1986

(edited)

pulling nonsense out of thin air. that's how rumours start.

the IU goes into "sleep" mode and will only be activated when it receives certain signal waves. there are certain places that have these signal waves - which "wakes" up the IU. the IU will check the value of the cashcard and beep if the value is under. this is to help remind drivers that their cashcard is low in value before a point of no return. this enables them to find a top-up station before heading into a course that a gantry will be inevitable.

the Lornie Road signal has been there for YEARS. so has the one on ECP-AYE near the railway station.

Edited by Kyojin

Supercharged

I drove by both ways of Lornie Road 2 days ago but never encountered what TS mentioned. My cashcard is inside the IU fyi..

dun worry, wun happen. not at least they finish the construction down the road. which is the cause of the jam.

That construction seems to take forever to complete. [thumbsdown]

Neutral Newbie

It will only beep if you pass thru a gantry. You mean there this an invisible gantry erectd in Lornie road already?

maybe the government put some Sensor at both end of the road to count how many peep they can get to determine if it is profitable to put a ERP gantry at there .

Turbocharged

maybe the government put some Sensor at both end of the road to count how many peep they can get to determine if it is profitable to put a ERP gantry at there .

dont need any data collection lar..... erp gantry is profitable on ANY road... [laugh]

(edited)

jalan bahagia u mean?

all along one ma... ends at 1030pm

usually ard 1015, u can see traffic slowing to a crawl.

damn interesting sight when u r at the overhead bridge.

sometimes lane 3/4 comes to a complete stop, but no one behind will horn.

hahahhaaaa

KNN, don't know garmen also take money at 1015pm along CTE to AMK :angry:

So late don't wan people to go home har :wacko:

Edited by Agentwilson
↡ Advertisement