Any bro from hokkien huay kuan??

Chalk

wat's so sad abt that?

care to elaborate on that statement of yours?

if you cannot even comprehend such a simple statement, then you are simply not worth talking to....

↡ Advertisement

I feel sad oso that our pri school registration has become like this and i at first dun wanna do all this things for my kids as i have the same thinking as you that its sad to have to resort to this. But bro, its really no choice as the pri sch near me that is confirmed entry has only 30+% for their sec sch express. rather than the 70+% at nan chiau.

ppl will say that "as long as ur kid is good, study where oso good."

I agree with it and from a parent POV i would like to give them the best environment and best chance to make sure they turn out good.

It is the society that had change but im sure our love for our kids will not change.

hmm... i think the primary school won't make much of a difference....

but the secondary sch makes a much bigger difference in developing your kid academically and other life skills...

one thing to note... perhaps you can consider training him/her up in a certain sport/talent so that in case can't get into the sch of her choice easier to appeal.... will definitely come in useful for sec sch/ JC

if you cannot even comprehend such a simple statement, then you are simply not worth talking to....

oh i see. i'm just seeking clarification.

unless you duno what u are toking abt? u sound peeved... did i just pinched yr a$$?

then i guess you are not in a right state of mind to answer my ques then. [laugh]

NEXT!

Edited by Relagsingh

hmm... i think the primary school won't make much of a difference....

but the secondary sch makes a much bigger difference in developing your kid academically and other life skills...

one thing to note... perhaps you can consider training him/her up in a certain sport/talent so that in case can't get into the sch of her choice easier to appeal.... will definitely come in useful for sec sch/ JC

you could've just answered me like that.

i duno how my post left a bitter taste in yr mouth. [sly]

yeah, stay within 1KM but unable to get a place in Ai Tong

wah ai tong also under hokkien huay kuan? how many sch they linked to man??

oh well... tough luck then. maybe ai tong situated in a very populated area?

it's not the end of the world. ^_^

do u look down on hokkien dialect? do u prefer to speak english?

otherwise, dont abuse hokkien huay kuan membership. [laugh]

do u look down on hokkien dialect? do u prefer to speak english?

otherwise, dont abuse hokkien huay kuan membership. [laugh]

some not even hokkien also member. [laugh] [laugh]

I think I need to clarify that SHHK only accept hokkiens as members. Being quite involve in it for some time now, below is what I observe. It could be quite different from its official stand, but absolutely true.

1. Officially you need to be a member for 2 years to be eligible for phase 2B. And SHHK will not hesitate to tell you pointblank that it will not guarranttee you will be given the cert to be eligible for P2B! Priorities will be given to those in committees, depending on seniority and appointment. The later is definitely true as huey kuan is about kuanxi, on face. If on certain year a lot of people apply for cetain school, then those ordinay members might not stand a chance as there is a quota in place, though quantity is definitely unknown to public. And 2 years membership is definitely not holding water if you have someone senior enough to talk on your behalf. A year is good enough if you can pull on good string or work hard enough. Who you knows is VERY VERY important. You could be a dormant member but still get a place, compare to a active member who has no string to pull. But SHHK is quite fair that if you are active enough for yourself to be known on first name basis, then you will most probably be given the cert for P2B. But be warn, this world is never fair, and big fish always eat small fish.

2. Having P2B cert is no guarranttee of success in getting a place in school. If you stay > 2yrs from your preferred school, and have no intention to move to within 1km of it, then please don't waste the money and effort to go through this path. It will be rewarded with anger and frustration! At least try to rent a place within 1km for a year to allow change of address. This is supposedly unlawful but I still see successful story even this year.

3. Work closely with SHHK during P2B exercise to know first hand how many vacancies still available on last day. If you good friend enough, you can get the priviledge info of how many vacancies still available by 3pm on the last day and make informed choices before rushing down to the school to apply for place. Do not be kiasu or kiasi or idiotic enough to rush down on first day to register even if you have been informed to do that. It is only to avoid overloading and why make life easier for the school at your expense.

4. If you fail at P2B, it is not the end of world. Try to secure a place in a reasonable school and put your kid on reserve list. Before school start, there will always be parents who vacate the place due to stress or oversea posting, and SHHK have the sole discretion to allocate the place. Of course, it must either know you good enough, or your friend must be famous or important enough to get you the place. Remember, even the grand kids of council members have higher priority over any committee member.

5. If you choose to volunteer, do not start 4 or 5 years ahead as you will be burnt out by the time your kid is registering for P1. 3 years before is best. Take it positively as the activities are actually quite fun and the social netwrok is excellant if you are in business line. It might even help your business to grow faster. You will be very sad if you always think that you are doing it for your kids.

But be warn that due to overwhelming kiasu parents, even if you volunteer to work for activities you might not get any chance at all. So, who you know is really really important.

If you do not know the meaning what is SHHK, please go to the website to take a look to know more. No harm.

Edited by Best_ctzn

As a hokkien, I'm thinking of joining hokkien huay kuan to expand my social circle and i want to preserve my heritage. anyone can advise how to secure 2 signatures of members?

As a hokkien, I'm thinking of joining hokkien huay kuan to expand my social circle and i want to preserve my heritage. anyone can advise how to secure 2 signatures of members?

and secure gd places for ur kids?

I think I need to clarify that SHHK only accept hokkiens as members. Being quite involve in it for some time now, below is what I observe. It could be quite different from its official stand, but absolutely true.

1. Officially you need to be a member for 2 years to be eligible for phase 2B. And SHHK will not hesitate to tell you pointblank that it will not guarranttee you will be given the cert to be eligible for P2B! Priorities will be given to those in committees, depending on seniority and appointment. The later is definitely true as huey kuan is about kuanxi, on face. If on certain year a lot of people apply for cetain school, then those ordinay members might not stand a chance as there is a quota in place, though quantity is definitely unknown to public. And 2 years membership is definitely not holding water if you have someone senior enough to talk on your behalf. A year is good enough if you can pull on good string or work hard enough. Who you knows is VERY VERY important. You could be a dormant member but still get a place, compare to a active member who has no string to pull. But SHHK is quite fair that if you are active enough for yourself to be known on first name basis, then you will most probably be given the cert for P2B. But be warn, this world is never fair, and big fish always eat small fish.

2. Having P2B cert is no guarranttee of success in getting a place in school. If you stay > 2yrs from your preferred school, and have no intention to move to within 1km of it, then please don't waste the money and effort to go through this path. It will be rewarded with anger and frustration! At least try to rent a place within 1km for a year to allow change of address. This is supposedly unlawful but I still see successful story even this year.

3. Work closely with SHHK during P2B exercise to know first hand how many vacancies still available on last day. If you good friend enough, you can get the priviledge info of how many vacancies still available by 3pm on the last day and make informed choices before rushing down to the school to apply for place. Do not be kiasu or kiasi or idiotic enough to rush down on first day to register even if you have been informed to do that. It is only to avoid overloading and why make life easier for the school at your expense.

4. If you fail at P2B, it is not the end of world. Try to secure a place in a reasonable school and put your kid on reserve list. Before school start, there will always be parents who vacate the place due to stress or oversea posting, and SHHK have the sole discretion to allocate the place. Of course, it must either know you good enough, or your friend must be famous or important enough to get you the place. Remember, even the grand kids of council members have higher priority over any committee member.

5. If you choose to volunteer, do not start 4 or 5 years ahead as you will be burnt out by the time your kid is registering for P1. 3 years before is best. Take it positively as the activities are actually quite fun and the social netwrok is excellant if you are in business line. It might even help your business to grow faster. You will be very sad if you always think that you are doing it for your kids.

But be warn that due to overwhelming kiasu parents, even if you volunteer to work for activities you might not get any chance at all. So, who you know is really really important.

If you do not know the meaning what is SHHK, please go to the website to take a look to know more. No harm.

Haha, guess its wat ppl always says...

Its not wat u know, but who u know....

We looking at nan chiau.. it will be impossible to get it unless PV or Clan... so....

Either PV or go through grassroot volunteering.

I understand through Clan membership, as what other folks mentioned, need 2 existing members to support + $500.

Either PV or go through grassroot volunteering.

I understand through Clan membership, as what other folks mentioned, need 2 existing members to support + $500.

But there are heavier price to pay to go the PV and grassroot route.

PV: you have to be lucky enough to survive 1 round of balloting even before P2B if there is a quota on PV for that school. Then you have to sacrifice 30mins of sleep from 645am to 715am, or pm shifts or you work part-time, twice a week for a year to control students or traffic.

grassroot: you have to be in any committee to be eligible, not just the extra pair of hands and legs. You must either approach the right people, unless the committee there always not enough volunteers. Then you must do some active works like events organising, etc. You might even be assigned to chop carpark lot for MP and jagar there waiting for despise from residents, etc. Also maybe need to knock on doors to prepare residents for arrival of MP during block visit which could get doors slammed on you or scolded ccb. Good perks indeed.

Clan membership is much easier although have to pay $500. Just need to attend some routine meet-new-members meetups to know the management and let them know your serious intention to serve. But of course everybody know why you want to serve lah. Then you will be called up to serve in big events which is once or twice a year. Nothing much to do also. But then, you will need a few signatures to get you in.

Which route you think is easier?

Turbocharged

wah ai tong also under hokkien huay kuan? how many sch they linked to man??

oh well... tough luck then. maybe ai tong situated in a very populated area?

it's not the end of the world. ^_^

yes.. ai tong is with hokkien huay kuan..

wanted to enroll my kid there cos i studied there before.. but i sort of lost my report card/identification.. any suggestion?

Turbocharged

Ai tong is the best pri school. I was there in the late 80s. To early 90s.

Omg 100% Chinese student .

yes.. all chinese students then.

best or not i'm not sure.. but i remember getting grilled by the teachers last time... siong ah..

still like the teachers though..

my time the principal was mr ting. remember i got into some trouble and got scolded by him before. [:p] should be retired by now.

Neutral Newbie

Ai tong is the best pri school. I was there in the late 80s. To early 90s.

Omg 100% Chinese student .

Yeah! i was there in late 80s too, Mr Ting, power principal. Now still 100% chinese? My cousin, two years younger than me, had a Malay classmate who speaks fluent mandarin in the school also.

miss that place... haha :D

↡ Advertisement