Positive and negative cambers

SaNibOy

Dunno where to post tis request, so try my luck here.

Need the pros and bros/sis expertise in tis. Which is better? Positive or negative? Or both? I reali know nuts abt tis stuff. Stil new to car stuff la.

And i got a situation where i changed to a 2nd hand coilovers where go tyre shop and do alignment, my other rims all can get negative camber but only my front driver side has a positive 0.3mm(is tis correct reading?). Can tis b cured?

All ur feedbacks and advise is much appreciated. So thanx in advance!

↡ Advertisement

Need the pros and bros/sis expertise in tis. Which is better? Positive or negative? Or both? I reali know nuts abt tis stuff. Stil new to car stuff la.

And i got a situation where i changed to a 2nd hand coilovers where go tyre shop and do alignment, my other rims all can get negative camber but only my front driver side has a positive 0.3mm(is tis correct reading?). Can tis b cured?

why positive degree?? u shall set to negative degree...

i lowered and set my to -1.4 , u will experience under steering, and tire uneven wear...

stick to standand for daily use, if you don want to burn tyre fast. track day you can set to minimum -1.5degree maximum is up to driver.

Front camber should be able to adjust but don go too far it will caused damage to drive shaft and wheel balancing on

high speed. To over come this problem camber kits necessary.

Is your coilover come with adjustable top mount plate? your ride is FF or FR? This is important as well.

Alingment mechanic should be able to advise you, lastly do check your coilover as well.

Do not be alarmed by what u found out that only the driver side is positive camber; this is normal.

Just get yourself a pair of after-market camber bolts (Brand: SPC) for your front if your coilover is not camber adjustable; and set it to at least -1.5 deg camber to complement your coilovers.

Suggest u look for Kenny at AMK Autopoint Level, I've been patronizing him for the past 5 years. [thumbsup]

Edited by Mr_biscuit

I've heard of the 'conventional wisdom' to set negative camber to influence weight distribution during cornering, but this is the first time I heard of only setting the driver's side to positive while the rest are zero or negative. Why the difference?

With some suspension designs, the camber angle changes as the suspension member cycles through its stroke. For a visual representation of this, look at the rear wheels of a heavily loaded FD Civic, compare it to an unloaded FD Civic.

Thus loaded or unloaded, your car's camber angle could change. And most of the time, cars have only one occupant the driver. However alignment is almost always done without the driver being in the car.

Positive camber angle is not recommended as it endows a car with snap breakaway characteristics, it is also not healthy for tire life.

I've heard of the 'conventional wisdom' to set negative camber to influence weight distribution during cornering, but this is the first time I heard of only setting the driver's side to positive while the rest are zero or negative. Why the difference?

On stock suspension on almost all cars, the manufacturer would preset it at positive camber, and this is non-adjustable, am still puzzled what's the rationale of having positive camber.

Many cars today even after lowered with springs or coilovers, the camber largely remain positive too.

The only possible solution to achieve negative camber is by means of adjustable camber kits or adjusting the camber plates found on many coilovers on the pillow mounts.

Main reason for having more negative camber (Front) is to reduce understeer, and this is beneficial to almost all FF or AWD cars.

For RWD cars, usually the rear will be set to more negative camber instead.

Usually to also acheive more negative cambers (rear) on cars today, cars with rear Torison beam suspension are unable to do that.

Cars with rear Multi-Link (Independant) suspension setup, either use adjustable camber bolts or camber kit (More ex).

Thanx for all the feedbacks. The thing is i tink i kena chop by tis tyre shop in jb. Only got myself to blame cos i didn't go find out more.

Initially after change coilovers, only my rear left passenger side still on negative camber but all the other 3 sides positive, with the driver side the most. They said need to install adjustable camber kit, so i *gong gong* just say ok la. The fella said all ok except my driver side still on positive camber even after pulling the camber kit to the max.

Does tat means my driver side is reali got something wrong? Me a bit lost here....

Thanx for all the feedbacks. The thing is i tink i kena chop by tis tyre shop in jb. Only got myself to blame cos i didn't go find out more.

Initially after change coilovers, only my rear left passenger side still on negative camber but all the other 3 sides positive, with the driver side the most. They said need to install adjustable camber kit, so i *gong gong* just say ok la. The fella said all ok except my driver side still on positive camber even after pulling the camber kit to the max.

Does tat means my driver side is reali got something wrong? Me a bit lost here....

actually u shall find out more about the type of coilover or suspension kit u installed before u plunge into it...

hmm....they are not wrong technically... however, i heard of 2 camber kit if u wan to bigger degree... but never heard of 1 camber kit unable to correct the problem..

perhaps u pay kenny a visit... he's good enough to help or solve ur problem...

(edited)

Wow. Thanx everyone for sharing. My ride is a korean and im on D2 coilovers now. Definitely more firm than original but road grip is superb. Now to endure the ride quality a bit . Hehehehe....

Anyone got add and contact of kenny shop? Me goin there based on u ppl recommendations.

Edited by SaNibOy

Wow. Thanx everyone for sharing. My ride is a korean and im on D2 coilovers now. Definitely more firm than original but road grip is superb. Now to endure the ride quality a bit . Hehehehe....

Anyone got add and contact of kenny shop? Me goin there based on u ppl recommendations.

Kenny's Wheel Alignment

Address: 10, Ang Mo Kio Autopoint #04-15, Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 2A, Singapore 568047

Telephone: 9092 1015

Please remember to call and make appointment. I understand that he is quite packed most of the days and very difficult to attend to impromptu customers....

Edited by Yuan

if all 3 end can achieve negative camber and 1 side cannot.

please check your kuncle or suspension structure.

if you had mount kerd badly kuncle can be bent.

visual cannot see one.

Neutral Newbie

can advise wich shop in JB, so i can avoid it??

cos me mainly did most of my mods, maintenance in JB. My korea ride with hotbits coilovers.. so far, have not installed in camber bolts yet, and seems to have neg camber liao... most prob wld go and source for a set of camber bolts and install it it and adjust it properly..

can advise wich shop in JB, so i can avoid it??

cos me mainly did most of my mods, maintenance in JB. My korea ride with hotbits coilovers.. so far, have not installed in camber bolts yet, and seems to have neg camber liao... most prob wld go and source for a set of camber bolts and install it it and adjust it properly..

For aftermarket adjustable Camber bolts, do not go for cheap type; so far the only reliable camber bolts is 'SPC' which Kenny is selling or Stamford Tyres.

Many years back bought & installed a set from a JB shop on my old Nissan March (Setup is B+G springs & Yellow Koni Shocks).

1 side of camber bolt gave way after 6 months; and also the alignment & camber setting is not done up professionally, unable to achieve even camber on both sides. [bigcry]

Kenny is an expert in this field and his only business is purely doing wheel alignment. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement