Which maps combination to use? -new Garmin GPS user

Buzzzz

You can't do anything about the zooming as well as preventing the POI from disappearing from the screen. It's all in the Nuvi's software and one possible way out is for Garmin to do a firmware update if there are areas that are problematic. If you are talking about those POIs which you saved as waypoints in your "Favourite", then it is possible to transfer all or selected one from one device to another using mapsource. All these favourites reside in G:/Garmin/GPX. Just connect your device to the mapsource and under "Tranfser" in mapsource, select "Receive from device". All your routes, maps, waypoints and tracks will be imported from your connected device and displayed in mapsource. ONce done, unplugged your device from the PC and connect the other device to the PC. Before you transfer all the favourites or selected one to the second device, please delete all those waypoints and also those tracks, maps and routes, if any, that you do not want to transfer over. Then, under "Transfer", select "Send to device". Thank you.

Roger that. :)

Once again, many thanks for your guidance on GPS related matters.

↡ Advertisement

You can't do anything about the zooming as well as preventing the POI from disappearing from the screen. It's all in the Nuvi's software and one possible way out is for Garmin to do a firmware update if there are areas that are problematic. If you are talking about those POIs which you saved as waypoints in your "Favourite", then it is possible to transfer all or selected one from one device to another using mapsource. All these favourites reside in G:/Garmin/GPX. Just connect your device to the mapsource and under "Tranfser" in mapsource, select "Receive from device". All your routes, maps, waypoints and tracks will be imported from your connected device and displayed in mapsource. ONce done, unplugged your device from the PC and connect the other device to the PC. Before you transfer all the favourites or selected one to the second device, please delete all those waypoints and also those tracks, maps and routes, if any, that you do not want to transfer over. Then, under "Transfer", select "Send to device". Thank you.

For Garmin, how do we do a exact search for address? Garmin only locate the road name but not the exact blk.

Where To -> Address -> Search All -> 74 (House no) -> Bedok North Road (Street name)

Neutral Newbie

which Garmin model is able to make route planning? i know lower end model can't do it?

As I know, Garmin can do if you turn off the GPS signal. but only A to B type plan, I am not able to do A to B to C or more....

Igo8 has this feature to set via point, and Igo8 can save these route plan for future usage, for instance today I want use A to B1 to C, tomorrow I want to use A to B2 to C.

papago also can do via point route plan, but can not save.

mapking 2007 and mapking landmark also can, but can not save.

sygic, route66, agis, tibo and amigo all can do route plan at home.

Hypersonic

For Garmin, how do we do a exact search for address? Garmin only locate the road name but not the exact blk.

Where To -> Address -> Search All -> 74 (House no) -> Bedok North Road (Street name)

I usually use the Point of Interest-> Spell name.. I'll key in partial name to search.. e.g just key in "100 Ang Mo" for 100 ang mo kio.. Search time takes longer though.

(edited)

I usually use the Point of Interest-> Spell name.. I'll key in partial name to search.. e.g just key in "100 Ang Mo" for 100 ang mo kio.. Search time takes longer though.

Thanks Ender, tried the Point of Interest-> Spell name, and it works.

But Garmin will also attempt to search addresses in Malaysia and Thailand too, hence takes so long to search, right?

Edited by Billcoke

Hypersonic

Thanks Ender, tried the Point of Interest-> Spell name, and it works.

But Garmin will also attempt to search addresses in Malaysia and Thailand too, hence takes so long to search, right?

Not only that, it also search thru the database of restaurants, lodging, ATM, basically all POIs, that's why it takes much longer compare to a proper search.. But no choice as MFM and MAlsing put those blk numbers as a POI and not as addresses.

I find Garmin forum a bit confusing, with so many different steps in updating the maps.

Some more, the POI updates is in different pages.

Why can't they put everything CLEAR in one page?

Exactly.. I find updating map on garmin quite troublesome.. Dunno which page to refer to and its confusing.

You can update your map from here: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopi...92&start=30

But this one is free and has no JCV and LA... for that, i think you need unclock codes or something... quite complicated... hope this helps.

No, now the map in malsingmaps no longer requires an unlock code. It is very straightforward. Just download, unzip, copy and paste the file (gmapsupp.img) into the Garmin folder of the SD card and you are good to go.

will it corrupt the files i have already in the stored memory?

that means 1 gps has gt multiple maps?

Not sure if can take multiple maps.. i just copied the gmapsupp.img file over to the file located in the sd card.

you can refer to Redstorm's advice at the beginning of this thread... i followed that and managed to update mine.

↡ Advertisement