Somali pirates seize Singaporean ship

Sleepyman

Is this baby still around? That'll teach the pirates a lesson.

Yes, its still around in the war museum [:p]

These are obsolete & outdated ships and have been decommissioned long ago liao.

can the submarines be used in anti-piracy in any way ? just wondering . like pretend to pay them ransom and then after they make their escape, to creep up on them literally, and point the machine gun at them to surrender.

Do u hav any idea wat ship we sent there? Its a 141m landing ship... its a naval transport vessel with some small guns and carrying helicopters & special forces on board.

Btw, in modern war, all navies are trying to reduce the size of ship.

Bigger ship = bigger radar signature = easier to detect. Now is modern warfare, its all about electronics & missiles. Not about the size.

The new generation of US Carriers, Gerard R Ford are getting bigger compared with the current Nimitz class... [hur]

Nah...I am not telling you that mate...

What I am really saying is RSN has in the past & present many instances of pirate engagements....but we have nvr been successful (or nvr reportedly so). In our region, the reason is simple...politics and not taking the risk to offend our sensitive neighbours. I trust we are well equipped to task but there is no will.

In the Int'l arena, our deployments to everywhere so far has been a limited one. Mainly medical, logistical or police monitoring. If and when they do decide to take a more aggressive stance, that'll open the door on pressures for such "active" deployments down the road.I don't think SAF wants to take that road....

That's my personal take.... [pirate]

ic...up till now it has not reached the stage whereby our navy really need to go hard on the pirates in this region...its still very safe in our waters compared to, for example, straits of melaka.

having the capabilities doesnt mean we have to use it unless when neccessary.

Spore is such a small nation with limited resources so we shld juz maintain the supporting role in UN and other humanitarian missions [nod]

We should take out the hijacker.... ship all those going to expired ammunition and bombs and used it up. Save the expenses on disposal. 1 stone 2 bird.....

Ah... no wonder the US always likes to start wars [lipsrsealed]

can the submarines be used in anti-piracy in any way ? just wondering . like pretend to pay them ransom and then after they make their escape, to creep up on them literally, and point the machine gun at them to surrender.

Possible. Just send the submarine lurking nearby at the hijacked ship and when the pirates leave, suddenly pop-up and demand they surrender.

However, there is 2 problems:

1) Very expensive to operate a submarine this way. Its like using a chopper to kill an ant.

2) Submarines have no guns... [laugh]

have any of u guys even hear the sound of bullets flying over yer heads??? maybe NS time la but tat is way above the trees i guess. but definately no RPGs n heavy guns... so far i notice these pirates will never engage full monty on ships, they more interested to take hostage for huge ransom. but wat are they gonna do wif loads of money??? is it for IPODS or s--t like tat??

Possible. Just send the submarine lurking nearby at the hijacked ship and when the pirates leave, suddenly pop-up and demand they surrender.

However, there is 2 problems:

1) Very expensive to operate a submarine this way. Its like using a chopper to kill an ant.

2) Submarines have no guns... [laugh]

i agree it is expensive, chinese saying goes, use a cow knife to kill a chicken.

but i thought submarines do have a machine gun at the top of the chimney ? not sure ...

The new generation of US Carriers, Gerard R Ford are getting bigger compared with the current Nimitz class... [hur]

Thats aircraft carriers(not surface combatants as per se) y would they want to make it smaller? So that they can carry less planes?

have any of u guys even hear the sound of bullets flying over yer heads??? maybe NS time la but tat is way above the trees i guess. but definately no RPGs n heavy guns... so far i notice these pirates will never engage full monty on ships, they more interested to take hostage for huge ransom. but wat are they gonna do wif loads of money??? is it for IPODS or s--t like tat??

actually how do the pirates hijack the ships in the first place ? do they shoot some bullets into the body of the ship, and threaten to hurl grenade to sink it, unless the ship allow them on board ? or do the pirates actually quietly climb up the ship ala commando style ?

i agree it is expensive, chinese saying goes, use a cow knife to kill a chicken.

but i thought submarines do have a machine gun at the top of the chimney ? not sure ...

Those subs with guns at the top of the conning tower (the one that looks like a huge chimney) are of WW2 era.

Modern subs only carry torpedoes & missiles...all these r useless against the pirates [:p]

Those subs with guns at the top of the conning tower (the one that looks like a huge chimney) are of WW2 era.

Modern subs only carry torpedoes & missiles...all these r useless against the pirates [:p]

oh ok ! i only know about the subs from The Red October. [blush]

actually how do the pirates hijack the ships in the first place ? do they shoot some bullets into the body of the ship, and threaten to hurl grenade to sink it, unless the ship allow them on board ? or do the pirates actually quietly climb up the ship ala commando style ?

Grenades alone cannot sink those ocean going liners. Its only effective in sinking those ferry that we take to batam/sentosa. What they usually do is go alongside the ship and board them "commando style".

Grenades alone cannot sink those ocean going liners. Its only effective in sinking those ferry that we take to batam/sentosa. What they usually do is go alongside the ship and board them "commando style".

ok thanks. i suggest rearing a dozen of watch dogs, preferably guard dogs like german sheperd, british bull dog and what you have, those which you see already also scared ones, on board. if the pirates succeed in boarding the ship, they still have to face their worse nightmare. try telling a dog not to move or else i will shoot.

Edited by Vextan