Where to service Rolex ?

Ogima

honestly, i dont really agree with you... yes.. rolex centre is the best if you want to be 100% sure about your parts but i dont think its correct for you to put down other shops... unless you have had your rolex serviced by them... there are many many shops other that rolex centre that does great servicing and has a reputation as very good and honest service centre.. some are even official service centres for brands like fortis and such... so its really unfair for you to put it down if someone has spend 30 years doing an honest and good job.

yup, totally agree wif u.. btw, my parents not cheenas... and my dad's cert has already turned yellowish if u happen to go to their shop and see the cert hanging there... he is certified on rolex, omega and many other branded watches repair and servicing... their shop is at toa payoh central for past 15yrs w/o being affected by any of the crisis, tis can proof a lot already... if u noticed, last time toa payoh central there are many watch shops but now only a few left... anyone who believe in me can pm me for their contact and u can personally check my dad's cert and skills over there...

PS: nobody complained b4 or ask for refund... still standing strong down there...

↡ Advertisement

I've told this story before on here.

Crown came off my Rolex, went to the Tong Building Rolex Service Centre.

They had a look and said repair and service will cost S$1800.

They said the inside was rusted.I said 'a Rolex inside rusted you must be joking' but they wouldn't show it to me.

So I went to JW Horology and they quoted me S$500 IIRC.

I didn't like the Rolex watch anyway, got given as gift, so I asked if he would buy from me.

He did at a very good price.

Happy me.

JW is good.... to the point that if i serviced my rolex there.. it will take me at least 3 mths to get it back because its either the boss or the his tech guy who will do it personally and i have seen him working on watching until past 10pm event when they close around 4pm and i have personally serviced my watch there.. a vintage 1970 rolex.

Edited by Jerms

Neutral Newbie

Thank you Guys for the input. below are my findings...

any recommendation to where to service a Rolex watch ?

I passed my watch to my bud & he help me to send to his brother's shop.

also what is the price for a normal service & polishing without parts change ?

One shop charges $140 & $200 for the genuine saphire crystal.

there is a little chip on the glass that will costs less than $50 for copied parts....against an original glass that costs $200 to change. which will you go for ?

I went for the genuine too. my bud brother charged less than $300 for the saphire crystal change including servicing.

appreciate your inputs.

thank you.

note : is Tong Building too expensive to send to ? any experience ?

Ever sent once to the above...their policy is change whatever that they think is neccessary OR they don't accept the watch at all. In other words, your watch will be perfectly conditioned upon leaving the service center....protecting their esteem branding. Of course your watch MUST be in original stock condition with no third party add-ons. You are not allow to see nor can you take back what had been replaced. You will be serviced at the front desk by pleasantly uniformed ladies & the servicing guys in their doctor inspired white dust coat.

Price paid ? $400+ for a normal service plus one gear change.....and that was in 2003.

JW is good.... to the point that if i serviced my rolex there.. it will take me at least 3 mths to get it back because its either the boss or the his tech guy who will do it personally and i have seen him working on watching until past 10pm event when they close around 4pm and i have personally serviced my watch there.. a vintage 1970 rolex.

As an alternative to Rolex service centre, I would also suggest JW watch at Great Eastern Building. They are very professional and in fact are the appointed service centre for several watch brands.

I dislike the service and attitude of the staff at the Rolex Service Centre at Tong Building. They are of the breed of staff that behave like they are multi-millionaires doing you a favour by talking to you, if you are not Bruneian Royalty. (They are not rude, but they are condescending - at least the last few times I was there. Maybe I got a f--ked up face haha)

I had the same experience like someone in this thread, my rolex had a chip on the sapphire glass, and was quoted $1k+ to change the glass. I asked them are they replacing the sapphire glass with a piece of diamond?

their reasoning is that once they changed my glass , they need to do a full servicing and waterproof testing before they issue a warranty on the repair work

I asked how much is it just to change the glass WITHOUT their BS. they told me around $198. I said since my watch was recently serviced by them, just go ahead and change the glass without doing anything else.

they couldn't take it and refered to their secret kung fu manual , and decided to use a new pattern - they suddenly decided that they cannot repair my glass without doing the servicing.

I asked to see the service centre manager and suggested we call Rolex HQ in Geneva to clarify this. A few mins of whispering among themselves and they decided that they were able to just replace the glass finally

but I was warned that there was no warranty on the glass and workmanship. That was fine with me because if they f--ked up such a simple repair then we could refer the case to Rolex HQ

So in the end my glass was replaced at the official agent at a cost of $198++

but unless you are prepared to take on the 'atas' service girls at Tong Building, go to JW and get it done, it will also cost you about the same $150 to $200. they are not cheaper, but just as good, and no BS.

P/S: Maybe the Rolex service centre attitude has changed since then, you can give them a call to compare

Edited by Dogbert1973

the rolex range is quite wide. there is the rolex air, cellini etc..

but for practical purpose, when people refer to Rolex, they are talking about the Rolex Oyster range

this is the range that you can pawn for cash easily any country in the world, I remember reading a book that the special forces in those special ops overseas was issued with gold rolex watches, so that they could use it to pawn for cash or bribe people where needed , haha

the cheapest Rolex oyster range without date will be about $4k++, go to pennisular and lucky plaza to check around

good luck

the rolex range is quite wide. there is the rolex air, cellini etc..

but for practical purpose, when people refer to Rolex, they are talking about the Rolex Oyster range

this is the range that you can pawn for cash easily any country in the world, I remember reading a book that the special forces in those special ops overseas was issued with gold rolex watches, so that they could use it to pawn for cash or bribe people where needed , haha

the cheapest Rolex oyster range without date will be about $4k++, go to pennisular and lucky plaza to check around

good luck

Oh ok. Thanks for the Info. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Bro...how much does a decent brand new rolex now costs ? For ladies & for gens.

hello bro Hip,

it depends on the model, NEW or pre-owned....just like you ask someone, " How much does a decent car cost ?"

However...certain older models are considered collectors' item. In this case, the older the better, unlike cars.

for my opinion, i would rather get a boy size than a lady for your misses/GF.

you paid so much for your Rolex, then you want to look else where to service.... [sweatdrop]

go back to hour glass lah....Tong Bldg....after service, like brand new one...

btw , that one is not glass. it's Crystal...

Some rolex uses glass and not crystal man. :)

Bro...how much does a decent brand new rolex now costs ? For ladies & for gens.

Roughly 7k and up for a decent brand new men model, although theres quite a few that's cheaper than it.

As an alternative to Rolex service centre, I would also suggest JW watch at Great Eastern Building. They are very professional and in fact are the appointed service centre for several watch brands.

I dislike the service and attitude of the staff at the Rolex Service Centre at Tong Building. They are of the breed of staff that behave like they are multi-millionaires doing you a favour by talking to you, if you are not Bruneian Royalty. (They are not rude, but they are condescending - at least the last few times I was there. Maybe I got a f--ked up face haha)

I had the same experience like someone in this thread, my rolex had a chip on the sapphire glass, and was quoted $1k+ to change the glass. I asked them are they replacing the sapphire glass with a piece of diamond?

their reasoning is that once they changed my glass , they need to do a full servicing and waterproof testing before they issue a warranty on the repair work

I asked how much is it just to change the glass WITHOUT their BS. they told me around $198. I said since my watch was recently serviced by them, just go ahead and change the glass without doing anything else.

they couldn't take it and refered to their secret kung fu manual , and decided to use a new pattern - they suddenly decided that they cannot repair my glass without doing the servicing.

I asked to see the service centre manager and suggested we call Rolex HQ in Geneva to clarify this. A few mins of whispering among themselves and they decided that they were able to just replace the glass finally

but I was warned that there was no warranty on the glass and workmanship. That was fine with me because if they f--ked up such a simple repair then we could refer the case to Rolex HQ

So in the end my glass was replaced at the official agent at a cost of $198++

but unless you are prepared to take on the 'atas' service girls at Tong Building, go to JW and get it done, it will also cost you about the same $150 to $200. they are not cheaper, but just as good, and no BS.

P/S: Maybe the Rolex service centre attitude has changed since then, you can give them a call to compare

i am sorry but no.. they have not change abit.

i would recommend, Sea Deweller, Submariner, GMT master or explorer 2.

Personally i dont like the oysters or airking.. but thats just me.. maybe my age not there to wear it yet.. so i like the sports model.. :P

i am glad that many people know that there are other better service centres out there other than thinking ROLEX AT TONG building is the best.

Hmm... this is funny... i dun see throttle in this thread.

hello bro Hip,

it depends on the model, NEW or pre-owned....just like you ask someone, " How much does a decent car cost ?"

However...certain older models are considered collectors' item. In this case, the older the better, unlike cars.

for my opinion, i would rather get a boy size than a lady for your misses/GF.

Oh...thanks for the heads up.

Im not familar with watches of any kind........ [laugh]

It will be a good gift for wify tho. ^_^

Edited by Hiphiphoray

Oh...thanks for the heads up.

Im not familar with watches of any kind........ [laugh]

It will be a good gift for wify tho. ^_^

at the same price range, you can also bring your wife to see Cartier watches

Women seem to like Cartier watches

↡ Advertisement