Cycle Lanes for Express Way

Darryn

Over the weekend I needed to get my (push) bike home to Punggol from Changi South. Rode it via Changi Road whatever to TPE then all the way straight along the expressway in the breakdown lane. (dun tell anyone ok - its not allowed [lipsrsealed] )

Took me around 45 minutes, even though I am dreadfully out of shape and it is a rusted $90 Aleoca. Made me realise that for this particular trip bike would be a really good option over publlic transport.

BUT - it is illegal to ride bike on expressway [thumbsdown]

What would be really cool would be if for at least some selected expressways that don't have easy alternative routes, a proper cycle lane could be set up. Biggest challenge would be the slip roads - I think this would be best handled by tunnels (each one would only need to be about 2m wide by 2.4 high so quite easy from engineering standpoint and not major work.

For the bridges - (like Punggol River) then put a lane on outside of bridge - again weight demands are low so shouldn't (I wouldn't think) provide too much of an engineering challenge.

At first they wouldn't be used hardly at all, but as time went by, and we started to get people growing up using such things to get around, then usage would increase hugely. When I was growing up a 30 minute cycle to work was nothing, I was doing it everyday. (I worked nights, cycled down a main thoroughfare and through a park) as had a shower at work. Would cycle home again afterwards - saved on petrol and parking, and kept a little bit fit as well.

So - if such a thing was technically feasible, would you support it? Would you use it? Why or why not?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

this would be a great idea and route.

i am a cyclist too and such routes would be much welcomed by the community

but i think lane is not enough, need to have proper walls, if case car/heavy vehicles lose control and run into them

this would be a great idea and route.

i am a cyclist too and such routes would be much welcomed by the community

but i think lane is not enough, need to have proper walls, if case car/heavy vehicles lose control and run into them

Definitely has to be behind guard rail - when I was happily cycling along I was looking - the whole way there is enough space for a proper cycle way, except for Punggol river bridge - and there I reckon you could build on the outside of the bridge no problem.

What most people probably forget is just small the space a bicycle needs actually is. 2 m is more than enough - can get two bikes side by side in this space if need be (and the cyclists are competent)

I have done a bit of "commuting" cycling here but only to run errands - never for work. I even rode bike to go get my driver's license converted. Kovan down to the city a few times also. Excepting the attitude of drivers, and the dangerous roads, Singapore is great for cycling, so compact, so flat, and becuase of the flexibility of a bike you often make better time than you would on public transport and only marginally slower than a taxi.

Cycling as a commute is great. Used to do it for a while, but no more shower facility. Instead of getting a dedicated bike lane along the road I propose a more extensive park connector network. why breathe in all the fumes??

Because if have lanes that follow expressway then don't have to go and try to find out what route is best, where the park connectors join the roads and stuff.

That's the whole reason I took the expressway in the first place as I didn't actually know how to get from Changi south to Punggol via surface roads. At least, without going all the way down to Eunos link, then back across to Hougang Avenue 3 and back up Punggol Road. Guess there must be some way across from Tampines Avenue 7, to Tampines Avenue 10 then Old Tampines Road also - but that is also a big detour and I really didn't want to go and try to find out.

But if the park connectors can give shortcut then Great! Gets you away from the traffic and gives a scenic ride also.

I hear also that the park-connector network is quite troublesome? A lot of places where must get of bike and push it?

Because if have lanes that follow expressway then don't have to go and try to find out what route is best, where the park connectors join the roads and stuff.

That's the whole reason I took the expressway in the first place as I didn't actually know how to get from Changi south to Punggol via surface roads. At least, without going all the way down to Eunos link, then back across to Hougang Avenue 3 and back up Punggol Road. Guess there must be some way across from Tampines Avenue 7, to Tampines Avenue 10 then Old Tampines Road also - but that is also a big detour and I really didn't want to go and try to find out.

But if the park connectors can give shortcut then Great! Gets you away from the traffic and gives a scenic ride also.

I hear also that the park-connector network is quite troublesome? A lot of places where must get of bike and push it?

Yeap...esp at crossings ... but small price to pay...Park connectors can be quite pleasant for cyclists.

I don't think it's a big issue if you into cycling, Most avid cyclist I know wil take the longer route as long as it gets them to where they wanna go in relative peace.

Take some time to look thru the street directory, I am sure there are ways to circumvent expressways. I used to cycle everywhere..kindda miss it

Yeap...esp at crossings ... but small price to pay...Park connectors can be quite pleasant for cyclists.

I don't think it's a big issue if you into cycling, Most avid cyclist I know wil take the longer route as long as it gets them to where they wanna go in relative peace.

Take some time to look thru the street directory, I am sure there are ways to circumvent expressways. I used to cycle everywhere..kindda miss it

If I'm going somewhere for a reason I want the shortest route possible, if I'm just out for a cruise then heck care.

But note - I am really horrible with directions, so do like to stick to the routes I know, asking me to plan a route around the expressways where I have to turn here turn then I die lor.

If I'm going somewhere for a reason I want the shortest route possible, if I'm just out for a cruise then heck care.

But note - I am really horrible with directions, so do like to stick to the routes I know, asking me to plan a route around the expressways where I have to turn here turn then I die lor.

AIYOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH(in ref to directions)

ok ok but don't get caught lah.... [flowerface]

AIYOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH(in ref to directions)

ok ok but don't get caught lah.... [flowerface]

this was a one off - not likely to happen again [thumbsup]

I'm more likely to head down to orchard or bugis, and both ways can go direct enough by upper serangoon....

But still - how do we get more people cycling without good and convenient cycling routes for work? (and also showers at work, but thats a whole different thread)

this was a one off - not likely to happen again [thumbsup]

I'm more likely to head down to orchard or bugis, and both ways can go direct enough by upper serangoon....

But still - how do we get more people cycling without good and convenient cycling routes for work? (and also showers at work, but thats a whole different thread)

Yes true .....and you know what? You got me there.. [dizzy]

↡ Advertisement