What is Side Slip?

Babyt

I just sent my qashqai for servicing and the side slip tested 0.6mm. what does it mean?

searched the web for info but all lengthy and very chim.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

i think so but if the measurement gets bigger n bigger what will happen??

for example, mine is 0.6mm...wat if it becomes 5cm?

how to rectify?

Edited by Babyt

side slip = slip angle , mean on your car's handleing

In x-axis , zero = your car go straight when steering is striaght, (-ve) = to the left when your steering is straight and (+ve)positive to right when steering is straight.

possible your tires or your steering problems will result positive or negative figure.

A sideslip test is actually just another test for any potential wheel-alignment problems. +0.6mm is very very minor, and not an issue at all.

Essentially, a sideslip result of +0.6mm means your vehicle will travel 0.6mm to the right over a distance (I believe it's 1m in your case) even if the wheels are maintained directly straight.

So, with a sideslip result of +0.6mm, over a distance of 1km, your car will "slip" rightwards 600mm, or 60cm, or 0.6m. This is still well within rated specs of +5m/km.

P.S It's quite common, you should not have to worry too much about it. :)

Edited by CarsNStars
  • Praise 1

If the reading is side slip then it should read +0.6mm/M. The car will pull to the right by 600mm after travelling the distance of 1km.

Good to have it corrected....I had some issues with wheel alignment few months back and sent car back to AD for correction....doesn't cost much...definitely below 100 bucks...not bad for safely and reassurance of mind. [drivingcar]

Sorry to bump this old thread, but does anyone know if there is any workshop in the North West area that does side slip testing and can also do the necessary adjustments to correct any excessive side slip?

I just sent my qashqai for servicing and the side slip tested 0.6mm. what does it mean?

searched the web for info but all lengthy and very chim.

Is that a "PASS" with Viacom?

If can pass, no need to adjust lah.

BTW "side-slip" is the distance yr car will drift to the side off the center line on a given distance forward.

If its very bad, u can even feel the steering pull to one side sometimes. [drivingcar]

Hmmm...yeah. I've had this test too and have NO idea what it means. Think it has something to do with wheel alignment?

Er....Hermi, U so lau-chiau also dunno what is side-slip?

U must b joking. :o

bro, where u do this side slip test?? might need to go one for my ride... :(

Search Kennys Alignment service in here. He at AMK autopoint.

He specializes doing it. Price abt $50 fr a normal Jap car fr the 4 wheel computerised alignment.

But many tire shops hv this service. Its better to go for the 4 wheel computerised alignment test as it addresses all the 3 parameters of your cars tracking. Any irregularities wil show up.

U go for the basic mechanical side-slip check where the car is driven over 2 plates on the floor only check side drift of front wheels but its a cheaper option. Abt $25 I think.

↡ Advertisement