SHOULD unwed mum have benefits???

Picanto

Sometime ppl don't have a choice or in a bad situation when the child father are irresponsible. The woman and the child are innocent... our society should be more compassion, it's difficult enough to bring up a child in Spore, somemore single parent. They deserve all the equal benefit a family should had, be it single or not.

agreed

the question is what causes the unwed mum to be unwed in the first place ?

not to sterotype.

normally it's from the less well to do familes , or broken familes that can't afford to guide the teen.

parents need to work long hrs to earn enough for the family , or taken care by grandparents..

( these are the families that need more social welface in the first place)

the gov can choose to help b4 they grow up or help after they had grown up..

but it have to start somewhere.. if not how can they break out of this vicious cycle ?

Edited by Mingsect

I feel unwed/single mum should get some sort of benefits. Often, denying them the benefits, the kids (innocent) will also be affected. As long as the benefits are not excessive eg. unwed/single will still have to work to make ends meet, etc..., I don't see what's wrong. We don't want the people to become unwed/single mum so that they can be fed by the gov eg. in the UK where some young gals got themselves pregnant so that they could live on their own, with the help from the gov.

Not all unwed/single mum want to be in that situation by choice....some could have been date-raped by their BFs, have abusive/irresponsible husband, etc.....

I feel should hav a law for those irresponsible fathers to pay maintenance on these kids.

Some girls are so loose that they seriously don't know which guy who inseminated her... how?

if unwed mum also got benefits, then the govt will be creating more social problems.

I don't think with the benefits, people will go out and get pregnant lah. The money isn't that good...otherwise, we would have seen more married having babies...and the gov wouldn't have said the baby bonus didn't really work.. :D

must be case to case so that system is not abused.

I don't understand how it can be abused..... Would you want to have a kid just to get the benefit? I feel the mother should get the full benefit if she choose to keep and take care of the child. In fact, she needs it more than a normal family.

DNA? I agree, we should make the kids dad to bear with the cost too.

That's provided, there's a law that can force the person to donate blood for DNA testing simply just by the victim's suggestion. I don't think that will work... Unless it's rape....

That's provided, there's a law that can force the person to donate blood for DNA testing simply just by the victim's suggestion. I don't think that will work... Unless it's rape....

Nothing is impossible in s'pore....what's human right? But in this case, where the the result will not help gov make money...nothing will be done. Too much work with no returns.

Not all unwed/single mum want to be in that situation by choice....some could have been date-raped by their BFs, have abusive/irresponsible husband, etc.....

Abortion is an option.

And as far as I know, I dun thnk it is possible to have an unwed mom with an abusive/irresponsible husband.

What if it's a case of widow (father died)? Then how?

I think Singapore needs to be realistic and wake up. We shouldn't keep pushing our so-called "traditional" values when the world is moving along so fast. Otherwise, we'll be left behind.

What if it's a case of widow (father died)? Then how?

As long as the mom got marriage cert, then consider kid got a daddy. The birth cert will not have the father's field as blank.

Isn't running to the govt for assistance considered a paternalistic practice?

Let's not forget there are tons of NGOs assisting such cases.

Abortion is an option.

And as far as I know, I dun thnk it is possible to have an unwed mom with an abusive/irresponsible husband.

Of course abortion is an option...but not the best solution. It may cause long-term damage to the woman's reproductive system. Also, it may be against their faith, upbringing, etc...

As for the abusive/irresponsible husband...I meant to say BF.

Of course abortion is an option...but not the best solution. It may cause long-term damage to the woman's reproductive system. Also, it may be against their faith, upbringing, etc...

As for the abusive/irresponsible husband...I meant to say BF.

Assuming the abusive/irresoponsible BF is also the biological father, if I were the woman, I wld really be worried if I want the child. Proceeding with the pregnancy only means a lifelong relationship with such a man.

The policy shd stay as a deterence. But if the child is already out, there are other mechanisms to assist the mom and child.

Given that this country is now very desperate for live births and increase the fertility rate, it goes without saying that we should be practical (as we always have been) and extend the same maternity benefits to single moms. And that's it. Nothing more than that (because not having a husband around for the child is their own problem, anyway).

For those who are squirming at this idea, it helps to think of single, unwed moms like divorcees... not much difference there, is it? In both cases, abandoned or given up by the male partner. The only difference is a ROM cert, just a piece of paper.

And maybe SDU/SDS should also include single, unwed moms into their activities and help them find new partners in the hope that someone will stick :D Some guys DO prefer 'instant' families, save the trouble of bringing up the child from infant stage !!

Seriously though, I don't think it's beneficial in the long run to stigmatise single, unwed moms. At the very least, their children are innocent victims.

Edited by Sosaria

I'd like to add that be it for better or for worse, the child is already born to this world. So, why not nurture it? So, the benefit should be fully given to the mum to bring up the children well. It may not happen, but at least with assistance, the chances is higher...

↡ Advertisement