Spark plug issue, bent ground electrode

Noelleon69

012%20Automobile%20spark%20plug.jpg

I'm using Bosch Fusion plugs which have 4 ground electrodes. One of my plugs, has 1 ground electrode bent and touching the centre electrode. Will this affect anything?

To me no difference experienced, I don't know how long been like that. The plugs were bought early last year and only few days ago I thought about taking it out to see if lots of carbon deposits then I can clean it. The plugs were still in good condition though.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I'm using Bosch Fusion plugs which have 4 ground electrodes. One of my plugs, has 1 ground electrode bent and touching the centre electrode. Will this affect anything?

To me no difference experienced, I don't know how long been like that. The plugs were bought early last year and only few days ago I thought about taking it out to see if lots of carbon deposits then I can clean it. The plugs were still in good condition though.

It's best you replace the plugs as very close-gap plugs are not efficient and will affect your power and FC.

Edited by Trex101

no worries, just "pull" the bended ground electrode back and redo the gapping.... to gap the spark plug correctly, search online and u can find more details.

There's no proper way to re-gap Bosch fusion plugs, you can pull the "closed" ground electrode out and that's it. The other 3 ground electrode will take care of the sparks for you, that's why it such a long life plugs.

Ya don't feel any noticeable difference leh. I tried using a scissors blade to try and see if I can push the ground electrode back but seems like pretty hard to do so, I don't dare to use too much force too in case something breaks or spoils. So I should try and use a plier to pull the ground electrode outwards or even pull out?

(edited)

Get a new set, replace all and monitor the condition from now on. Not worth salvaging. This is not even an issue for need of re-gapping. It's already damaged (bent) indicating possible engine problem.

Edited by Kangadrool

Must to replace all 4 plugs? Hmm... dang if only have warranty. If change all 4 then probably look at other brands or even get cheap ones and change every 10K.

(edited)

Yes, always replace plugs in set of the same brand, model and heat range. Partial replacement will cause engine damage. Some diehards even go to the extent of insisting getting the set from the same box/batch (if they are not prepacked in set of 4).

Just get cheap NGK or Denso copper plugs will do.

Edited by Kangadrool

Must to replace all 4 plugs? Hmm... dang if only have warranty. If change all 4 then probably look at other brands or even get cheap ones and change every 10K.

Nope, not necessary. Just replace the damage plug will do but you will have problem buying just 1 plug.

Neutral Newbie

Bros I heard that the gapping is vry important for cars fitted with CNG. If not done correctly it may cause the car to stall... thats quite dangerous on highway manz...

Bros I heard that the gapping is vry important for cars fitted with CNG. If not done correctly it may cause the car to stall... thats quite dangerous on highway manz...

Yes, that why normally if your car is spec for 1.1mm, you have to choose a colder plugs with 0.8mm gap(those turbo plugs). For example, if your car is spec for BKR6EIX-11, you have to upgrade your plugs to BKR7EIX. CNG runs hotter thus the need for colder plugs with smaller gap and if you can, upgrade your coolant system with better heat transfer fluid.

There's no proper way to re-gap Bosch fusion plugs, you can pull the "closed" ground electrode out and that's it. The other 3 ground electrode will take care of the sparks for you, that's why it such a long life plugs.

hmm... true also. the plug got 4 leg... traditional gapping tools cant work... unless can get a "flexible gapping tools"

↡ Advertisement