Post-It notes new weapon in parking war

CarsNStars

Neutral Newbie

This is so hilarious I just have to post it up here for all to see. Warning : For entertainment purposes only! In no way do we condone using Post-It notes for anything other than boring memos.

------

Original article taken from AsiaOne Motoring.

Respect my car space

By Fiona Chan

In a peaceful little cul-de-sac somewhere in the west of Singapore lives a family that is - almost - like any other.

They have a bunch of well-dressed kids, a lovely house and a garage that can hold three cars comfortably.

There's just one problem: The household has more than three cars. Quite a lot more. Seven, to be exact.

When the entire family comes home, as inevitably they do, their cars - marked by the same digits on all their licence plates - overflow onto the road in front of their house like a vehicular oil spill. They seep insidiously into the lots in front of their neighbours' houses, tarring their personal space and polluting their goodwill.

I know this because every time I drive over to visit my friend, who lives opposite this family, I have to dodge their cars while looking for somewhere convenient to park.

Of course, it's not illegal to take up parking spaces that your neighbours don't use. It's not even morally wrong for a single household to own seven cars (although I, the owner of half a car, think it should be).

But, to me, buying several more cars than your own house can accommodate is the height of inconsideration.

It's not like there isn't an obvious solution: Just sell one of the sports cars and use the money to build a bigger garage, for heaven's sake.

Then again, thoughtless motoring behaviour appears to be the norm in Singapore. In my own, significantly less wealthy, estate, many of the older single-storey houses are too small to shelter even one car. So residents park their cars right outside their houses, on both sides of the narrow road, along which runs a single white line.

This is actually illegal but the owners clearly don't care.

What they seem more concerned about is glaring at me as I am forced to inch my car through the obstacle course created by their protruding vehicles to get to my house.

I've never actually rammed into one of their cars. But I am always tempted to.

The same goes for all those foodies who park illegally outside eateries - even when there is a perfectly legitimate carpark just a few minutes' walk away - just so they can maximise their eating convenience.

The Sunday Times ran an article last week about how nerve-racking it is for these drivers to dine and dash. But it is 10 times worse for the rest of us, who have our nerves shredded trying to carefully squeeze past their obstructive cars, and don't even get to stuff our faces.

What I would love to do is paste notes on the dashboards of these parked cars and make them look like parking summonses, just to give their owners a scare.

"Gotcha, sucker!" these notes will say. "Next time it will be for real."

I don't quite have the meanness - or, to be honest, the balls - to do this, although my friends tell me they've stuck Post-it warnings on the cars they've seen illegally parked near their homes.

All I do, in a cowardly fashion, is live in hope that one day the traffic police will come knocking on the doors of these parking idiots.

After all, in Singapore, that seems to be to be the only way that anyone can be persuaded to do what in other countries would be plain common sense.

Take buses for example. You might think that letting a poor lumbering bus exit from its bus bay would be a natural instinct for other motorists.

But no, drivers have to be threatened with a fine before they will give way to a bus. Unfortunately, there's no penalty for drivers who grumble loudly and non-stop about the new law.

Do we really have to introduce - and enforce - punishments for every thinkable inconsiderate driving activity? Surely there is some shame in always having the obvious spelt out in the form of a law?

If there's anything I've learnt from years of kindness campaigns, it's that courtesy can't be taught. So I'm taking matters into my own hands.

The next time I visit my friend in his cul-de-sac, his neighbours better watch out. I'll be armed - with a bunch of Post-its.

[email protected]

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

pix pix pix !!! kekeke

NPNT ...... love to see the vehicular oil spill effect

you are rich to own 7 cars but not rich enough to park all 7 cars inside your house !

be considerate ! although your neighbour do not need to park a car in front of their space, that does not give you the "rights" (taken for granted) to use someone else space, does it ? hmm, bo pai seh ?

Edited by Wt_know

Yeah that's funny! But the lady obviously cannot drive! What obstacle course? Carefully squeeze past? I'm guessing these are gross exagerrations of the truth, and there's actually more than enough room for a vehicle to manouvre, especially as she mentions driving only "half" a car! We see these drivers all over sg roads, wait till they try that 2-way road going up to Gunung Brinchang & the BOH Tea Plantation in Cameron Highlands, then they will complain no more!!

Turbocharged

very true la.a lot of motorist hv very little common sense...or choose not to utilise it. they don hv any consideration to others.wat to do....uniquely sporean...

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

What's even funnier is if news of this 'weapon' gets out to the HDB space and residents... -laughs- Imagine, HDB carpark filled with post-it notes all over. Officially we don't encourage this kind of behavior, but secretly, I'm hoping to see this happen. Just like the tissue paper choping system, only a million times better.

Edited by CarsNStars

Firstly, I don't expect ppl with alot of money to be gracious..if they are..then it's a bonus.

Your starting thread is so long ...and indeed pointless to the fact that it was getting NO where except round and round.

You see the thing to learn in life is ..... nothing can convince a person to be GOOD!

It has to come from within...and usually...having alot of money prevent this from TRUELY....and SINCERELY ..note the cap words...from happening.

Which of course, is not entirely true unless one prefer the simpler things in life.

Cheers

What's even funnier is if news of this 'weapon' gets out to the HDB space and residents... -laughs- Imagine, HDB carpark filled with post-it notes all over. Officially we don't encourage this kind of behavior, but secretly, I'm hoping to see this happen. Just like the tissue paper choping system, only a million times better.

walau wei bro, u encourage wastefulness ... more trees gotta be chopped to make those post-it notes, which indirectly reduces the chances for CO2 reduction, which will lead to further worsening of global warming, which will directly causes more ice to melt from north & south poles, which will lead to rise in sea level and ultimately drowning of Singapore island!

no no this issuing of "post-it notes" is not highly encourage.

This is so hilarious I just have to post it up here for all to see. Warning : For entertainment purposes only! In no way do we condone using Post-It notes for anything other than boring memos.

------

Respect my car space

By Fiona Chan

In a peaceful little cul-de-sac somewhere in the west of Singapore lives a family that is - almost - like any other.

They have a bunch of well-dressed kids, a lovely house and a garage that can hold three cars comfortably.

There's just one problem: The household has more than three cars. Quite a lot more. Seven, to be exact.

When the entire family comes home, as inevitably they do, their cars - marked by the same digits on all their licence plates - overflow onto the road in front of their house like a vehicular oil spill. They seep insidiously into the lots in front of their neighbours' houses, tarring their personal space and polluting their goodwill.

I know this because every time I drive over to visit my friend, who lives opposite this family, I have to dodge their cars while looking for somewhere convenient to park.

Of course, it's not illegal to take up parking spaces that your neighbours don't use. It's not even morally wrong for a single household to own seven cars (although I, the owner of half a car, think it should be).

But, to me, buying several more cars than your own house can accommodate is the height of inconsideration.

It's not like there isn't an obvious solution: Just sell one of the sports cars and use the money to build a bigger garage, for heaven's sake.

Then again, thoughtless motoring behaviour appears to be the norm in Singapore. In my own, significantly less wealthy, estate, many of the older single-storey houses are too small to shelter even one car. So residents park their cars right outside their houses, on both sides of the narrow road, along which runs a single white line.

What they seem more concerned about is glaring at me as I am forced to inch my car through the obstacle course created by their protruding vehicles to get to my house.

The same goes for all those foodies who park illegally outside eateries - even when there is a perfectly legitimate carpark just a few minutes' walk away - just so they can maximise their eating convenience.

The Sunday Times ran an article last week about how nerve-racking it is for these drivers to dine and dash. But it is 10 times worse for the rest of us, who have our nerves shredded trying to carefully squeeze past their obstructive cars, and don't even get to stuff our faces.

What I would love to do is paste notes on the dashboards of these parked cars and make them look like parking summonses, just to give their owners a scare.

I don't quite have the meanness - or, to be honest, the balls - to do this, although my friends tell me they've stuck Post-it warnings on the cars they've seen illegally parked near their homes.

All I do, in a cowardly fashion, is live in hope that one day the traffic police will come knocking on the doors of these parking idiots.

After all, in Singapore, that seems to be to be the only way that anyone can be persuaded to do what in other countries would be plain common sense.

Take buses for example. You might think that letting a poor lumbering bus exit from its bus bay would be a natural instinct for other motorists.

But no, drivers have to be threatened with a fine before they will give way to a bus. Unfortunately, there's no penalty for drivers who grumble loudly and non-stop about the new law.

Do we really have to introduce - and enforce - punishments for every thinkable inconsiderate driving activity? Surely there is some shame in always having the obvious spelt out in the form of a law?

If there's anything I've learnt from years of kindness campaigns, it's that courtesy can't be taught. So I'm taking matters into my own hands.

The next time I visit my friend in his cul-de-sac, his neighbours better watch out. I'll be armed - with a bunch of Post-its.

[email protected]

Fiona said it well, but she shouldnt be surprised. Most Singaporeans are low-class but try to pretend to be of blue-blood. Even many of the so called elites behave like drug-dependant-prostitutes from third world countries.

think that fellow is rather kind to put a post it notes.... my boss who stays in Jalan Kayu will usually call the authority to get the jokers a summon. Thats pretty common at his place before the public carpark is built... At 1st i dont undestand why a nice & patient guy like him would do such things... its just a car park infront of your house and block your entrance, just need to wait for a while and the fellow should be there to move the car, in the 1st place, how long does it takes to eat a few piece of roti prata???

Well, i finally undestand his feeling when i visit him more often and my car always blocked by outsiders car everytime without fail... it is very frustrating to wait and horn and wait and horn... in the end, after waiting for half an hour, u found that the bast*rd who walk over to drive the car in jus sitting opposite, knowing that you are waiting for hiim, he happily eat and take his own sweet time to finish his tea... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Turbocharged

------

Respect my car space

By Fiona Chan

[email protected]

West side..sounds like my friend's neighbour.. [rolleyes]

Irony - the descendants of coolies is far worse than descendants of prisoners.

I never thought about it that way... but as soon as you mentioned it, the first thing that popped into my head is pride. Over there pride is from within i.e. what you do or how you do something defines you, so they do what they can to the best of their abilities even when it comes to care and concern for others (or at least for the "founders" of their culture it was). Over here pride is from outside i.e. what people think, so they just do things to make themselves look good regardless of the harm it causes to others, or the crappiness of the job done etc.

In this case my hypothesis is that it simply translates into "its just parking, nobody is going to think badly of me (probably since everyone else is doing it), so who cares about others as long as its convenient to me." While over there it would be "if i park here it will inconvenience other users. It doesn't matter if someone else is doing it as this is not the right way of doing things, so i will park in a proper place."

think that fellow is rather kind to put a post it notes.... my boss who stays in Jalan Kayu will usually call the authority to get the jokers a summon. Thats pretty common at his place before the public carpark is built... At 1st i dont undestand why a nice & patient guy like him would do such things... its just a car park infront of your house and block your entrance, just need to wait for a while and the fellow should be there to move the car, in the 1st place, how long does it takes to eat a few piece of roti prata???

Well, i finally undestand his feeling when i visit him more often and my car always blocked by outsiders car everytime without fail... it is very frustrating to wait and horn and wait and horn... in the end, after waiting for half an hour, u found that the bast*rd who walk over to drive the car in jus sitting opposite, knowing that you are waiting for hiim, he happily eat and take his own sweet time to finish his tea... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Thats why I say we need to have towing in our system. of course the owners/drivers will have to pay towing costs, storage costs, and admin charge, and be slapped with the relevant fine.

↡ Advertisement