Why do Malaysian's mandarin sounds...

Ahgongwolve

Why do Malaysian's mandarin sounds funny?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Why do Malaysian's mandarin sounds funny?

• Cos that's the correct way to speak Mandarin
    • Cos their teachers all screwed up
    • I have no idea

Why do Malaysian's mandarin sounds...so funny

none of the option. i got a mandarin teacher told me before, malaysian speak mandarin without one of the tones (in chinese, tones separate different word). that is why their spoken mandarin is not really right. if not talking to them and they just come out one or two words (like dictation), no one with proper mandarin speaking can understand them. of course with whole sentence, we will automatically "understand" what they are talking.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Aiyah...like that more colourful meh...one language but my different favour...there's no right or wrong...so long get your point across can liao....

Like English in Europe, you hear the way they speak, straight away you know where they come from....

Even our Singlish now Ang mo find it quite interesting...as we shortcut the sentence but still get to the point for eg,

When a taxi driver asking passenger the destination:

Singapore driver: Go where, sir? (3words)

English: Where would you like to go, sir? (7 words)

So Singlish are abt 60% more efficient than tradiational english but still get to the point. Haha

U are right. They literally translate cantonese to mandarin....

For eg...

Not free = Mm Tak Han (Canto) = Bu De Kong (Mandarin)

How much? = Kei Tor cheen (Canto) = Ji Duo Qian (Mandarin)

probably they speak mainly cantonese, HK people speak chinese also sounds funny......

Weird.... I spoken to some taiwanese uni students and they told me actually lian pang mandarin is better understood by them, not talking about the 几够力华语, Singamandarin is sometimes more difficult to understand with the monotone - listens to comments from mandarin speaking country instead of covering our ears ! [blush]

hehe i like your username. btw there is a young HK actress whose english name is annie man. any man can do....

Supercharged
(edited)

i got a mandarin teacher told me before, malaysian speak mandarin without one of the tones .

Think it's the second one. My Malaysian MIL pronounces China as zhong(3) guo(4), not zhong(1) guo(2), and "study" as du(4) hsu(1), not du(2) hsu(1).

Edited by Kklim

Neutral Newbie
hehe i like your username. btw there is a young HK actress whose english name is annie man. any man can do....

You belonged to that type...... 有读书,没文化! [thumbsdown]

an nie wan! an jua gong?[:/]

Neutral Newbie

My friend used to say "lian pang qiang" Sounds low class.. like language spoken by uneducated labourer..

几够立一下喔。。。Something like that LOL

should be ... 几够力一下的喔

(edited)

isn't fun to make fun of people language....

as long it serve the purpose of communicating.....and each party do understand another.....dun see any problem with it.

overall i find their chinese competency , depth of vocab...is better than most people...here...

where some chinese here dun even can speak proper mandarin..

How about our singlish ? isn't it pretty "unique" too?

Edited by Lv3338

the msian admin girl in my office wear bra on outside today

[dizzy]

LOL this sounds funny hahahahaha.

is she crazy?

are you sure it's a bra? [sweatdrop]

isn't fun to make fun of people language....

as long it serve the purpose of communicating.....and each party do understand another.....dun see any problem with it.

overall i find their chinese competency , depth of vocab...is better than most people...here...

where some chinese here dun even can speak proper mandarin..

How about our singlish ? isn't it pretty "unique" too?

agree wif u bro....watch any local news broadcast on ppl being interview,8 out of 10 cant speak proper chinese. Always got tis ..then, also,bcos etc. I find it v irritating n an insult to mandarin as a chinese language. [shakehead]

i purposely asked this penang girl why her mandarin sounds so funny...she said she was from English-school in malaysia...LOL

and there is this my converted sg citizen who went to army liao but as much as he tries to hide his accent, he still sound like my and a bit cc in the tone.

They may sound funny but their mandarin standard is better than Sporean. Can check with any chinese educator here. They will say the same.

Neutral Newbie

I find it rather amusing that the poll starter should start a poll as such to criticise Msian Mandarin when his/her written English is so ridiculously bad, judging from the title of the poll. Truely ironical...lol. This poll perhaps reflects more on him/her than Msians.

Our spoken languages sound different to the people from other countries as well, so would it be nice to see a poll saying our accent is such because our teachers screwed up?