Getting desktop

Ehonda

Neutral Newbie

any it expert here?

my current desktop going to up the lorry .. need to get a new desktop ..

thinking of getting those branded one, like those from Court or Best Denki etc .. anything i should look out for?

by the way .. my budget only $1,000 .... [drivingcar][drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement

bro...you may consider getting one from Dell, the lowest avg desktop roughly cost abt S$800 plus...

for me I just bought one two months ago, this is my 2nd Dell desktop, the first one i used nearly abt 5 yrs....including monitor (21' wide screen), 500GB HD with 3GB ram mem, speaker + subwoofer etc...is abt S$1400 plus..., of course over your budget ! But seriously you can consider Dell.

Happy searching.... [wave]

Turbocharged

Go SLS/Funan ask them to build one for you. CPU + licensed OS alone should be less than $1k depending on what you put inside. Usually 1 yr warranty. You can always reuse your old monitor.

My second built CPU from them already. All still functioning after 3 years with no breakdown.

But this type of thing heng sway one.

Or buy a cheap netbook and hook it up to your monitor? Less than $700.

if possible consider a laptop.

my laptop is 15.4" if you need bigger

they also have 17"

although size isn't everything!

Neutral Newbie

i believe you still have your monitor not going to change that. My system also went kaput recently and i managed to trade in my old system and got a new one for about $550. Specs are decent (dual core, 320GB, 6.1 sound on-board, nvidia 9400GT, 2GB ram, 450W Power, card reader, XP or Vista OEM etc) and should be able to handle most games and software.

I think most shops in SLS lets you trade-in your old PC. PM me for more details if you want to know.

If u into gaming or doing 3d works/graphics etc, I'd advice u to get a desktop with a dedicated graphic card nothing less than a Gefore9800.

Go for a system with at least 2GB of ram - nothing less if u want to enjoy smooth computing.

Harddisk go for one that is at least 7200rpm with 32MB cache if you don't want to wait donkey years for an application to load.

1K budget will be more than enough for you to get a system with the above specs (if you recycle ur monitor).

Repair your current one if it still serves your purpose..... save the $$$

Was considering another PC or notebook.... then decided against it since current one was serving its purpose well. Just that it was dying. So did abit of reading up (hardwarezone) and did some monitoring of the system thru' the advises that were posted in the forum. Narrowed down to PSU or motherboard.

I just replaced my PSU as the old one (~ 5 years) was dying and not supplying sufficient 3.3V voltage to the system. Symptoms was the PC would just shutdown on its own or hang halfway.

Fix cost $39.

any it expert here?

thinking of getting those branded one, like those from Court or Best Denki etc .. anything i should look out for?

Build urself la!

Neutral Newbie

any it expert here?

DIY will be best.

go for cheaper alternative like AMD processer. choose on DDR2 instead of the new DDR3 to cut cost. if you not into gaming, just get 1 board with integrated graphic. a stable power supply unit is essential, please get something reasonable good. lastly, recommend ram to be 3GB at least. [thumbsup]

any it expert here?

is you PC for gaming, watcing video or fporgeneral usage (surfing + doc processing) ?

$1000 is more than enough for a general usage machine, but not enough for hardcore gamers.

any it expert here?

Compaq with 20+" screen $999. Go check it out at Challenger.

I'm also in your shoes a few months back , with the help of the bro's here I finally bought a 16'' Lap Top instead of the desk top .

Here's the discussion : http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2634349

Hey bro. good choice. I gave my Compaq notebook to my son, going U few months from now.

Next round, you MIGHT want to consider, i poison you first. kekekek.....

Lighter and smaller. Ram put up to 2GB. Serves my purpose well enough. [thumbsup]

Half the size of my old notebook. Cheep cheep. $600+. Got lohbang. [sly]

I got a Compaq Mini Notebook. hp-mini-2140-notebook.jpg109085.jpg

knn.....but I have to agree ,IT stuffs changes much faster than we change underwear.

For now , I'm contended .Period . [laugh]

VPC100-1.jpg

Viewsonic unveiled their all-in-one PC at the CES 2009. The VPC 100 has an 18.5-inch 16:9 LCD screen and is only 35mm thick. The system features a 160GB hard drive, 1GB RAM and runs on an Intel Atom 1.6GHz CPU. It also has a 1.3mp webcam, a DVD +/- RW drive, built-in stereo speakers and a 3-in-1 card reader. Installed with Windows XP home.

I think is priced under $900 for this PC show.

↡ Advertisement