Wireless router for hubstation

Billcoke

(edited)

Hi All Bros,

Need some advice.

I intend to get a WIRELESS-G ROUTER WGR614 for the Starhub's hubstation, and connect the two devices via the ethernet port. Since the hubstation is a router itself, can I install wireless access point instead?

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routersand...ers/WGR614.aspx

Basically, I plan to have a wireless setup for the hubstation, with reasonable good coverage but at a low cost. What are my options?

BTW, any issue with G-router's signal strength if blocked by a solid wall?

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement

Hi All Bros,

Need some advice.

I intend to get a WIRELESS-G ROUTER WGR614 for the Starhub's hubstation, and connect the two devices via the ethernet port. Since the hubstation is a router itself, can I install wireless access point instead?

Basically, I plan to have a wireless setup for the hubstation, with reasonable good coverage but at a low cost. What are my options?

haven't tried with the hubstation, but the G-Router's signal strength is strong enough, 5-room HDB, whole house covered, and no lost in signal strength.

Go for the Linksys one.

Hi All Bros,

Need some advice.

Correction, Hubstation is having a modem, not router. Unless yours is new model/ver?

Hi All Bros,

Need some advice.

You will need a wireless network transmitter aka. wireless broadband router. Technically, the hubstation is NOT a router. It is a modem with a single ethernet port.

I can say most if not all wireless routers are able to cover a HDB 5room with no difficulty. My friend is using a WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router from linksys and i can receive at least 50% signal strength from the playground below his block while his router is 5 floors up in a closed bedroom. Used to play PSP wireless games from the playground using the network. Or just park my car under his block when in need of emergency internet access.

For added coverage, you can try WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router, i bought it for my place 2 years back for under $150. It has an illustration on the back of someone using a laptop in the pool. The illustration doesnt lie. 100% signal strength even in the garden and even across the street while the router is on the second floor of a 3-storey corner terrace.

Correction, Hubstation is having a modem, not router. Unless yours is new model/ver?

Yeah, you are right, it is actually a modem. But if I'm using Cat-5 cable instead of wireless, do I just connect the notebook to the hubstation?

Any special configuration at Network's control panel?

For added coverage, you can try WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router, i bought it for my place 2 years back for under $150. It has an illustration on the back of someone using a laptop in the pool. The illustration doesnt lie. 100% signal strength even in the garden and even across the street while the router is on the second floor of a 3-storey corner terrace.

I get signal strength below my block, but this I got to try, my company could use one with that kind of strength. [thumbsup]

You will need a wireless network transmitter aka. wireless broadband router. Technically, the hubstation is NOT a router. It is a modem with a single ethernet port.

I can say most if not all wireless routers are able to cover a HDB 5room with no difficulty. My friend is using a WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router from linksys and i can receive at least 50% signal strength from the playground below his block while his router is 5 floors up in a closed bedroom. Used to play PSP wireless games from the playground using the network. Or just park my car under his block when in need of emergency internet access.

No kidding, but I often wonder whether long exposure to these strong signal is bad for the body?

Neutral Newbie

once connected to the router, must configure wireless setup.. your neighbour also can receive.. [rolleyes]

Yeah, you are right, it is actually a modem. But if I'm using Cat-5 cable instead of wireless, do I just connect the notebook to the hubstation?

Any special configuration at Network's control panel?

Just connect the cable, sometime if can not get IP, maybe just off and on your hubstation again.

No kidding, but I often wonder whether long exposure to these strong signal is bad for the body?

I also have some doubt on heath issue but then, even if you are not using, your neighbor + Singtel + Starhub + M1 .......... all are having network around you [sweatdrop]

Supercharged

hubstation is a modem, not a wireless one.

so u will need a wireless router and connect to it.

i did it to my hubstation, using Netgear router.... its very good. 5 room unit. 122 sqm. even my toilet also can get the signal.

so once u setup the wireless, u can also set password so that yr neighbors can't tap into yr signal.

Supercharged

about health issues.... only switch on the wireless when u need it.

once no need already, switch it off....

anyway, we all can't avoid wireless signals now... our office, public places all got wireless signals......

our brains are been fried........

It's on radio frequency. What harm can it do?

Worry of getting cooked? [laugh]

Just dun put it near your family jewels...

Either way also will kana one lah. Go jungle expose to sun wait kana cataract. [laugh] [laugh]

hubstation is a modem, not a wireless one.

so u will need a wireless router and connect to it.

i did it to my hubstation, using Netgear router.... its very good. 5 room unit. 122 sqm. even my toilet also can get the signal.

so once u setup the wireless, u can also set password so that yr neighbors can't tap into yr signal.

Is yours G or N-router?

Supercharged

not sure its G or N....

i think its N because it's not using the latest technology model. I'm been using this router for 4 yrs already.

whatever it is, i got no problems at all.

↡ Advertisement