Screeching sound when braking

Drive_carcar

On 11/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, Mkl22 said:

Original brake shoes? If not, use original and change the drum. Should be cheap and last another 10years

sadly to say , mine is original shoes ..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

12 minutes ago, sake said:

https://youtu.be/fUNHb9O52WQ

brake squeal explained porsche style. 

no squeal, not considered porsche. 😃

This stupid Video is made by Porsche because too many Owners cannot accept brake got Sound....Esp in S'pore where a Porsche could be over $300k....AD Service Advisor ''sick'' of telling Customers this is ''Normal''...so they make this Video show to Customers Worldwide....by the way,who can accept an expensive Car the Brake make noise.?

Edited by ER-3682
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
7 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

This stupid Video is made by Porsche because too many Owners cannot accept brake got Sound....Esp in S'pore where a Porsche could be over $300k....AD Service Advisor ''sick'' of telling Customers this is ''Normal''...so they make this Video show to Customers Worldwide....by the way,who can accept an expensive Car the Brake make noise.?

once you realise there is nothing wrong with your car and there is nothing you can do about it, you just get used to it.

• Praise 1

On 11/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, Pr1nse said:

yes true, Brake shoes do leave some mlld negligible squeak , when its dusty inside but this screach is exceptionally high. Let me walk u thru the  the steps I got into.

1) My first encounter  , thinking of solving  the problem I changed my brake shoes when in fact the ext'g was good for another 40% usage , as told by my mechanic.  But my cry baby  came knocking again , after 3 weeks , n to my surprise it sounded like my old shoes .

2) 2nd , when to a workshop referred to by my friend. He opened up and cleaned the drum , and did some sanding of the inner lip and the shoes. He said shd work alright and as a precautionary measure he gave me a so called excuse, that if the noise reoccur my drum would have lost its form or alignment, even after telling him I have not knocked hard on anything to have caused it. Told him to skim the drum , but said he would if I insist and advised me against it for the time being. So coming back to my story. Not long after,  and yes cry baby , was starting back its tantrums.

3) Enquired some  shops told me they only have skimming services for disc and not for drum.After some research , came to know that workshop avoid skimming for drums as its time consuming and tedious compare to disc.

4) Last attempt is mycarforum Gurus before I start driving without brakes:)

Bro, are you sure the squeal is coming from the drums? Mine had squeal and i changed my front discs and pads. No more noises then on.  

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Buadongdong said:

Bro, are you sure the squeal is coming from the drums? Mine had squeal and i changed my front discs and pads. No more noises then on.  

Positive , bro  from the number of checks I did,  its the drums . Just to reconfirm , initially I got the mechanics to diagnose, and all of them claimed its rear. 

• Praise 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:58 PM, Pr1nse said:

I agree, but mine is not a common scenario. Its not disc its my drum for the rear wheels which Is emitting the screech. Anyway to upgrade to disc or to purchase a new set of drums doesn't make sense , coz my ride has a lifetime of 2 over years only. ( COE)  Alternatively , was intending to skim , but I rather get to the workshop with in-house skimming directly, than , having a workshop send it ,which might safe the waiting hours.

Screeching noise from drum means the drum shoes are worn out already la.

And nobody does skimming for drums if I remember correct.

On 11/3/2019 at 6:49 PM, Fcw75 said:

He mentioned his car left 2 years plus.

i also faced the same issue. Bought original Suzuki brake shoes from Popular Motor and installed it. Cleared the brake dust too but also got the noise.

The last step is really changing the drum liao. 

The drums are also wear and tear part like discs, and also have a minimum thickness, like discs... they last long but they don't last forever.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Beehive3783 said:

The drums are also wear and tear part like discs, and also have a minimum thickness, like discs... they last long but they don't last forever.

True.

Noted with thanks.

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

True.

Noted with thanks.

My current car also using rear drums... will have to get them checked and serviced during next brake fluid flushing hahaha

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Drum Brake are measure inside Diameter[usually is written on the Drum itself]..not thickness...

• Praise 3

On 11/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, Beehive3783 said:

No arguments about tat bro.

• Praise 1

On 11/5/2019 at 4:45 PM, Beehive3783 said:

Screeching noise from drum means the drum shoes are worn out already la.

And nobody does skimming for drums if I remember correct.

Some workshops do bro, my friend has done it , at Defu lane but the  wkshp is relocated elsewhere. God knows where to bro..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Pr1nse said:

Some workshops do bro, my friend has done it , at Defu lane but the  wkshp is relocated elsewhere. God knows where to bro..

Those who Skim Drums are usually for those Big Lorries.where it cost too much to replace,yours is just a Toyota Wish,just find out what is the OEM Drums costs like...then consider again,if not just drive with a bit of noise,most important is Brake are effective.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Pr1nse said:

Anyway... skimming is only done when the surface of the disc (or drum for your case) is not completely flat, i.e. vibration during high speed braking.

If only screeching sound and high speed braking is smooth, I don't see a need to skim the drums at all.

• Praise 1

On 11/7/2019 at 9:28 AM, Beehive3783 said:

Anyway... skimming is only done when the surface of the disc (or drum for your case) is not completely flat, i.e. vibration during high speed braking.

If only screeching sound and high speed braking is smooth, I don't see a need to skim the drums at all.

hmm, it might come in handy with a nice clean feel with the inner lip of the drums being skimmed..

On 11/7/2019 at 7:11 AM, ER-3682 said:

Those who Skim Drums are usually for those Big Lorries.where it cost too much to replace,yours is just a Toyota Wish,just find out what is the OEM Drums costs like...then consider again,if not just drive with a bit of noise,most important is Brake are effective.

there hasn't been any compromise on the response and effectiveness of the brakes, which leaves me with the only contention tat , im safe.

↡ Advertisement