Would You Blast Them?

Osiris

Home > ST Forum > Online Story

Good Samaritans blasted for helping hurt motorcyclist

LAST Thursday night, we were in our car under the flyover at the intersection of Farrer Road and Bukit Timah Road, waiting for the traffic lights to change, to turn into Dunearn Road.

A motorcyclist coming from the opposite direction and turning into Bukit Timah Road, suddenly skidded in front of us and was thrown off. The young man was hurt and sitting on the road looking rather dazed and disorientated.

Immediately, we turned on the hazard lights and got out of the vehicle to help him. We redirected oncoming traffic to avoid him and then helped him push his motorcycle off the road. After he reassured us he was fine, other than cuts and scrapes on his hands and legs, we returned to our car and faced some rather irate drivers behind it.

We tried to gesticulate apologetically that we were helping the young motorcyclist who had been hurt in an accident. Instead of understanding, the drivers levelled a barrage of insults, telling us we should not leave our car there and to park elsewhere. Our car was already by the side of the road, in the extreme right lane of two turning lanes with the hazard lights on. It was late at night (about 10.15pm), the traffic was light, and these drivers could have easily overtaken us.

We were appalled and saddened that these drivers were concerned only about the inconvenience rather than the injured motorcyclist who could have been run over by oncoming traffic.

What has happened to humanity, tolerance and graciousness in our society when people can so easily ignore the plight of others? It does not bode well for Singapore.

Dr Lina Lau

Dr Bernadette Murugasu-Oei

↡ Advertisement

yup everyone is angry in singapore. angry and pissed at minor things. we need a war or outbreak of water/food shortage that threatens our lives will we learn to appreciate what we already have and understand what the other 2/3rds of the world is going through daily [flowerface]

yup everyone is angry in singapore. angry and pissed at minor things. we need a war or outbreak of water/food shortage that threatens our lives will we learn to appreciate what we already have and understand what the other 2/3rds of the world is going through daily [flowerface]

Sometimes i have to agree with u. Many of us don't appreciate what we currently have and r always complaining non-stop.

I would take their no and pray they would get into serious accidents and when I pass by

'neh neh neh neh neh neh'

a-----es......they dun realise one day this might happen to them....Ba$trds

Neutral Newbie

Knn... karma will fall upon these pple. next time if they happen to be injured on the road and waiting for help, all drivers will drive pass them slowly, stare at them before driving off. see how these farking pple will feel.

Knn... karma will fall upon these pple. next time if they happen to be injured on the road and waiting for help, all drivers will drive pass them slowly, stare at them before driving off. see how these farking pple will feel.

...not only that...scold them....knn, you dunno how to drive ah...and spit on them.....

Heaven have eyes!

I think those who blasted the Dr. for stopping the car there are from the next wave of traffic who did not know that there are accident in front.

I am sure those car immedidately behind the Dr. car would have filtered out and moved on thru the junction already!

The Dr. should be more patient, and understanding, since his car coulld have blocked the view of those car behind from understanding the real situation!

I don't know how the hell the motorcyclist can suddenly skid in front of the Dr. car.

I am not suggesting anything here hor.

Sometimes, thru instinct a motorcyclist will jammed brake, on sensing that a car has jerked/moved and going to cut in front of his path.

ya, those blasted might not know what's going on.

just like me, kenna blasted when i was trapped behind a road hogger doing 50 in CTE lane 2. waiting for chance to filter out but an idiot point finger at me. Idiot becos he think i am the hogger.

Neutral Newbie

just like me, kenna blasted when i was trapped behind a road hogger doing 50 in CTE lane 2. waiting for chance to filter out but an idiot point finger at me. Idiot becos he think i am the hogger.

Lesson learnt: Do not jump into conclusion immediately without seeing the whole truth and react like a hooligan.

There was once a bike skidded right in front of my car (4 or 5 car lengths in front) on SLE just before Woodlands exit.....I braked, switched on hazard light and stopped to help that poor old man.....After a while, few other bikers stopped to help.....Then one of the bikers started pointing fingers at me and asked the old man was I the one who hit the him? I was like wtf.....

Lucky the old man said he skidded on his own, if not, I would have been in big trouble just trying to help him......I'm still thinking of the consequences if that old man said "yes" back then......

Maybe that's the reason why some motorists refused to stop and help?? [thumbsdown]

Some stupid axxholes simply [inlove] to jump into conclusion when they didn't even get to know the truth <_<

Yah, much better than the doc in this incident

Emergency? Find another doctor, says clinic

I WOULD like to highlight an appalling and disturbing incident that occurred recently.

On Feb 24 at about 7.35pm, I was making my way home from Bedok Interchange when I saw a crowd gathering around a woman who had fainted. A quick check by a passer-by confirmed that she had a pulse and was breathing. However, as she was not responding to our calls, I decided to look for a doctor from a nearby clinic for assistance.

The clinic I approached was Bedok Day and Night Clinic at Block 418, Bedok North Avenue 2. The doctor on duty was a Dr Wong. The assistant at the counter told me he was attending to a patient and would be out soon, so I waited for him outside the clinic.

About five minutes later, I saw the patient come out but the doctor did not emerge. A second check with the assistant and I was told he was 'doing something'. I was even asked to go to the clinic next door to get another doctor.

Moments later, the doctor finally came out in a nonchalant manner and without any sense of urgency. Eventually, the ambulance arrived, even before the doctor had gone to the woman's aid.

I was very disappointed by the doctor's attitude. I was appalled by the clinic's take when an emergency arose. I have always felt it is a doctor's professional responsibility to respond to any medical emergency, within or outside his work area.

In this case, I assume it may be helpful for the doctor to do a first responder check on the casualty to ascertain her condition so he can give a first-hand update to the paramedics. This should be done whether the condition is deemed serious or not.

Ang Deyao

Supercharged

Yah, much better than the doc in this incident

Emergency? Find another doctor, says clinic

I WOULD like to highlight an appalling and disturbing incident that occurred recently.

On Feb 24 at about 7.35pm, I was making my way home from Bedok Interchange when I saw a crowd gathering around a woman who had fainted. A quick check by a passer-by confirmed that she had a pulse and was breathing. However, as she was not responding to our calls, I decided to look for a doctor from a nearby clinic for assistance.

The clinic I approached was Bedok Day and Night Clinic at Block 418, Bedok North Avenue 2. The doctor on duty was a Dr Wong. The assistant at the counter told me he was attending to a patient and would be out soon, so I waited for him outside the clinic.

About five minutes later, I saw the patient come out but the doctor did not emerge. A second check with the assistant and I was told he was 'doing something'. I was even asked to go to the clinic next door to get another doctor.

Moments later, the doctor finally came out in a nonchalant manner and without any sense of urgency. Eventually, the ambulance arrived, even before the doctor had gone to the woman's aid.

I was very disappointed by the doctor's attitude. I was appalled by the clinic's take when an emergency arose. I have always felt it is a doctor's professional responsibility to respond to any medical emergency, within or outside his work area.

In this case, I assume it may be helpful for the doctor to do a first responder check on the casualty to ascertain her condition so he can give a first-hand update to the paramedics. This should be done whether the condition is deemed serious or not.

Ang Deyao

Did the author tell the clinic that someone has fainted outside and needed a doctor immediately?

It depends how he communicated the emergency.

If he goes to the clinic and say "I want to see the doctor now".....any clinic will tell him to wait. Or his attitude was bad like as if the clinic owes him a living, then of course the clinic will dilly-dally.

Making people to act is a communication skill.

There was once a bike skidded right in front of my car (4 or 5 car lengths in front) on SLE just before Woodlands exit.....I braked, switched on hazard light and stopped to help that poor old man.....After a while, few other bikers stopped to help.....Then one of the bikers started pointing fingers at me and asked the old man was I the one who hit the him? I was like wtf.....

Lucky the old man said he skidded on his own, if not, I would have been in big trouble just trying to help him......I'm still thinking of the consequences if that old man said "yes" back then......

Maybe that's the reason why some motorists refused to stop and help?? [thumbsdown]

Maybe that's why people don't want to help. They don't want to get into trouble.

But you did a good deed. Give yourself a pat on your shoulder. We should have more people like you on the roads.

A good lesson learnt....next time MYOB. This is Singapore. Most ppl will not appreciate or give a d am n when you render help. Well, there might be exceptions.....if its a pretty [gorgeous] victim, for eg.

ya lor...if u stopped to help, then the victim died before saying a word...ppl may start accusing u although there sld be some scratch marks on ur car if really u did it.

↡ Advertisement