FT slams Pro-SG Policies! ZzZ

Sleepyman

Neutral Newbie

every country takes care of their own kind.

otherwise why do we need government?

do u expect malaysia, australia, china to take care of us in time of needs? they will give priority to their ppl first!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

do u expect malaysia, australia, china to take care of us in time of needs? they will give priority to their ppl first!

I know you are very excited, but don't have to triple posts..

Neutral Newbie

Pro-S'porean policy in jobs, housing impractical

THE notion of a pro-Singaporean policy is noble but not practical. What many policymakers and many well-meaning citizens fail to recognise is that many Singaporeans are married to non-Singaporeans.

Non-Singaporeans may, for one reason or another, not be in a position to take up Singapore citizenship. This may be because they have elderly parents in their native country or they do not meet general requirements to take up citizenship.

As someone in this category, I find that this pro-Singaporean policy penalises this segment of the population. Over the years, we have contributed thousands of dollars to the Singapore economy, we pay taxes and levies and we have decided to setup of our family unit in Singapore. We have bought an HBD flat and look forward to being proud owners of a home in Singapore.

I am not in a position to take up citizenship, as it is my responsibility to take care of my parents in Malaysia. They have chosen their home and I cannot, in good conscience, force them to relocate here.

YOU MEAN U ARE NOW ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM WHEN YOU N FAMILY ARE STAYING IN SPORE ?...WHAT A PILE OF RUBBISH WHY?....DUN WANT YOUR KID TO SERVE NS say so ...!!!

Imagine this. Our flat will be ready only in 2012. Of our two incomes, I earn more than my wife. My income pays for almost everything, including rent (which has increased astronomically). The cost of living has gone up, and even cooking at home is no cheaper then eating outside. Paying utility bills, insurance premiums, car loan, education loans and so on leaves us with just enough to make ends meet. In recent months, we have had to dip into our savings to pay for many things.

We used to consider ourselves slightly better off than middle class, but now we are not even in that category. If I lose my job, because I am not a Singaporean, where would that leave us?

Consider this as well. I pay goods and services tax (GST), income tax, Central Provident Fund (CPF) and every other payment as Singaporeans do, but I get few if any benefits. I do not get GST refunds; nor am I a beneficiary of any other monetary initiative to relieve the sufferings of Singaporeans, despite the fact that I am forming a family unit with a Singaporean in Singapore.

Adrian Gopal

Edited by Ah_dude

Neutral Newbie

Definitely, it is only reasonable for the government to take care of its citizens. Citizen deserves 1st class benefits, PR 2nd class, others 3rd class.

But it is also true that PRs do contribute to the economy. But contributing does not entitle him to citizen benefits. Period.

On a side note, non-bumi Malaysian are considered 2nd class citizen, why would he not choose to be 1st class here.

what a load of bs..

did he serve NS? 2 yrs worth of sweat and blood from chiong sua..plus another 10+ yrs of reservist..

if not, then STFU...

Edited by Shull

Neutral Newbie

Actually, once his wife is a Singaporean, if his kids are born here, the child automatically becomes a citizen here. There's not running away.

he can bring his wife go Msia to give birth...then register there....

he can bring his wife go Msia to give birth...then register there....

Hmmm... Definitely possible, but then in this case, his children won't be able to get PR status here also. I doubt gahmen will grant. It's either citizen or nothing. I may be wrong though. To give up all the subsidies here for the sake of running away from NS, in my personal opinion, silly... Not to say he's from US or some UK countries with a lot of social benefits. Malaysia? Silly....

Gopal shld go CMPB n volunteer for NS

yes...

No NS no talk...

Mr Gopal please go to NS for 2 years, let me tekan jialat jialat, then let u have the extra $100 GST credit ok? [:|][:|]

Wah bro... if only going thru NS is to get the $100 gst credits, then by all means... even if the government is giving $100 for every year till i die, i'd pass and choose not to serve NS. Haha...

Compete with us for HDB flat, contribute to the higher HDB price, Chomp parking lot say sorry I not S'porean, given citizenship hide behind parent. Wat frak excuse is this. Typical Fraking foreigner, wat the frak u want? Go back 2 ur own fraking country, fraker.

Pro-S'porean policy in jobs, housing impractical

THE notion of a pro-Singaporean policy is noble but not practical. What many policymakers and many well-meaning citizens fail to recognise is that many Singaporeans are married to non-Singaporeans.

Non-Singaporeans may, for one reason or another, not be in a position to take up Singapore citizenship. This may be because they have elderly parents in their native country or they do not meet general requirements to take up citizenship.

As someone in this category, I find that this pro-Singaporean policy penalises this segment of the population. Over the years, we have contributed thousands of dollars to the Singapore economy, we pay taxes and levies and we have decided to setup of our family unit in Singapore. We have bought an HBD flat and look forward to being proud owners of a home in Singapore.

I am not in a position to take up citizenship, as it is my responsibility to take care of my parents in Malaysia. They have chosen their home and I cannot, in good conscience, force them to relocate here.

Imagine this. Our flat will be ready only in 2012. Of our two incomes, I earn more than my wife. My income pays for almost everything, including rent (which has increased astronomically). The cost of living has gone up, and even cooking at home is no cheaper then eating outside. Paying utility bills, insurance premiums, car loan, education loans and so on leaves us with just enough to make ends meet. In recent months, we have had to dip into our savings to pay for many things.

We used to consider ourselves slightly better off than middle class, but now we are not even in that category. If I lose my job, because I am not a Singaporean, where would that leave us?

Consider this as well. I pay goods and services tax (GST), income tax, Central Provident Fund (CPF) and every other payment as Singaporeans do, but I get few if any benefits. I do not get GST refunds; nor am I a beneficiary of any other monetary initiative to relieve the sufferings of Singaporeans, despite the fact that I am forming a family unit with a Singaporean in Singapore.

Adrian Gopal

After reading, I can only resort to doing what this FT does while speaking his native tongue. Shake my head from side to side. [sly]

Edited by Nirxe
↡ Advertisement