If U have S$200K to invest........

Piyopico

Hi All,

Admist the economic downturn and uncertainties I am sure there must be some who have managed to escape unscathed.

This group of people, whether by sheer luck or brilliant foresight now have the opportunity to make good returns by bottom fishing either in the stock or property market. If you are one of them and presumably have S$200K to invest(cash and CPF), what will you do to maximise returns?

There are no right or wrong answers as risk appetite differ amongst individuals.

Personally, I am tempted to bottom fish for property and leverage on a bank loan to maximise potential returns.

eg. Look for a property that is about 800K, put up S$200K downpayment and take a loan of S$600K. This property should preferably have peaked at about S$1.4M in 2007 and thereabouts.

Then wait it out for 5 years. Hopefully the price goes up to S$1.2M and above and pocket a profit of S$400K, thereby earning a return of 200%(discount monthly loan payments).

Alternatively, wack S$200K on blue chips and hope for it to triple in 5 years time. Although finding one that will actually triple will be quite a challenge.

OK guys, which option makes more sense ???? ..............................

Edited by Piyopico
↡ Advertisement

Hi All,

Admist the economic downturn and uncertainties I am sure there must be some who have managed to escape unscathed.

This group of people, whether by sheer luck or brilliant foresight now have the opportunity to make good returns by bottom fishing either in the stock or property market. If you are one of them and presumably have S$200K to invest(cash and CPF), what will you do to maximise returns?

There are no right or wrong answers as risk appetite differ amongst individuals.

Personally, I am tempted to bottom fish for property and leverage on a bank loan to maximise potential returns.

eg. Look for a property that is about 800K, put up S$200K downpayment and take a loan of S$600K. This property should preferably have peaked at about S$1.4M in 2007 and thereabouts.

Then wait it out for 5 years. Hopefully the price goes up to S$1.2M and above and pocket a profit of S$400K, thereby earning a return of 200%(discount monthly loan payments).

Alternatively, wack S$200K on blue chips and hope for it to triple in 5 years time. Although finding one that will actually triple will be quite a challenge.

200k? seriously.....invest in SGS.....wait for mid2009, bottom fish in equity mkt. profit in 2010 to 2011. period. =)

200k? seriously.....invest in SGS.....wait for mid2009, bottom fish in equity mkt. profit in 2010 to 2011. period. =)

U mean SGX........

To triple, it must go down to S$3 and then move up to S$9............. hmmmmm, the price may not tank low enough.

Hi All,

Invest in stock market... the only tool can make you few hundred % gain in few years time ! palm oil counter , food & health care counters ....

Hi All,

Invest in blue chips like land & banking counters. Reap excellent dividends while awaiting for the value to double or even triple in 3-5 years time.

Hi All,

dun be greedy makes more sense.... life is a gamble

U mean SGX........

To triple, it must go down to S$3 and then move up to S$9............. hmmmmm, the price may not tank low enough.

i think he meant singapore goverment securities (SGS BONDS)

1. Properties are almost always laggards in economic upturn and downturn. You will see a stock market booms before property market booms, likewise, stock market will crash first before property market.

2. Properties investment tend to offer less liquidity. What if you need cash urgently in a prolonged downturn? You might not be able to sell your property or you might need to sell at a loss.

Personally, I will attack the stock market first, and tend work on the property market (it's early days yet, property prices still have some way to drop)

But most importantly, know your own risk appetitie, affordability, and take great care. Things can always go wrong, no matter how smart we think we might be. Juz my 1.99cents [flowerface]

Invest in blue chips like land & banking counters. Reap excellent dividends while awaiting for the value to double or even triple in 3-5 years time.

Looks like you guys dont have a good sense of whats really happening.

Wah lau $200k only.....better keep it in cash now, in case one loses his income.

I've the same thought too. Buy one entry conti already more than half gone [:(] .

Regards.

Hi All,

buy a good car enjoy life lar [lipsrsealed]

Looks like you guys dont have a good sense of whats really happening.

Past experience of investing blue chips and stuff somehow dont work for now..even the big titans were brought down to their knees.

No one is sparred..perhaps the least impacted will be countries with little or no economy. Just survive on hunting wild animals and agriculture.

Stable but returns is [thumbsdown]

Now I finally appreciate seeing hard cold cash in milo tin. But to invest in a big and secure safe, can HDB flat tahan the weight or not :D ?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement