Singapore bureaucrat's cooking trip sparks outcry

Chisiang

Imagine i go africa refugee camp, set up a table in front of them, laid out plates of food, from roasted meat to lobster, crab, pasta, soup etc and eat happily in front of them for them to see, what will these hungry ppl feel? In times like these, this fella no need go and report to media how well to do and how he spend his money, spore peasants whole life dun even get to see that amt of money in their a/c, juz like i eating tasty food in front of millions of african refugees that they dun even have tree bark and grass root to munch on.

before anything concerning civil svc goes to print, how many pairs of eyes will vet the article?

more than meets the eye...

↡ Advertisement

Imagine i go africa refugee camp, set up a table in front of them, laid out plates of food, from roasted meat to lobster, crab, pasta, soup etc and eat happily in front of them for them to see, what will these hungry ppl feel? In times like these, this fella no need go and report to media how well to do and how he spend his money, spore peasants whole life dun even get to see that amt of money in their a/c, juz like i eating tasty food in front of millions of african refugees that they dun even have tree bark and grass root to munch on.

[nod] [nod] [nod] [nod] [nod] [nod] I cannot fault the hungry refugee to condemn the diner, likewise I do not fault the s'porean who condemn beauracrat extravangance in the worrying times. Rights or not, exercising and insisting one owns right can hurt others unknowingly.

Edited by Ender

This guy is a good example of how our psc are wasting good money hiring academically decorated scholars that are so lacking in interpersonal skills and street-smartness.

We all know how well paid these scholars are and how they have a glittering career path carve out for them. But to show off at such an inopportune time shows they are sorely lacking in how to deal with people. Street-smartness also means you know when to say or write what at the appropriate occasion which clearly he has a poor grip of it.

If the Head of a Department or Ministry or Statutory Board can take 5 weeks leave, it is not so much about delegation anymore. It simply means he is not needed.

Edited by Acemundo

This guy is a good example of how our psc are wasting good money hiring academically decorated scholars that are so lacking in interpersonal skills and street-smartness.

We all know how well paid these scholars are and how they have a glittering career path carve out for them. But to show off at such an inopportune time shows they are sorely lacking in how to deal with people. Street-smartness also means you know when to say or write what at the appropriate occasion which clearly he has a poor grip of it.

If the Head of a Department or Ministry or Statutory Board can take 5 weeks leave, it shows that we waste money hiring such people.

If he can delegate so effectively over 5 weeks, it means he is not needed.

ha ha [laugh]

means he must take same salary and head 15x different departments in different stat boards... save 15 superscale salaries. [lipsrsealed]

If the Head of a Department or Ministry or Statutory Board can take 5 weeks leave, it is not so much about delegation anymore. It simply means he is not needed.

yes. and such acts and his thinking reflects the culture of the whole of the Ministry, and even the culture of the whole PSC. If there are many of such people around, imagine the amt of $$ wasted and excess resources in the Ministry?

This incident reminds me of NKF. When it was 1st announced that Durai salary was$600K+, there was a lot of hooha. But many also defended his pay. At that time no other faults were discovered, but I always feel that such a high-pay culture for a charity org is not right.

ha ha [laugh]

means he must take same salary and head 15x different departments in different stat boards... save 15 superscale salaries. [lipsrsealed]

my sentiments exactly......you see the value in being the Head is leadership not about just doing work. I agree work in the strictest sense can be delegated to subordinate most times once they are familiar with how to do it. But you cannot delegate Leadership and Decision Making to subordinates. For short period, we can still say hope that nothing unusual happens that subordinates don't have to take over the Leadership and Decision role. For 5 weeks, it simply means another person can take over that role successfully at a much lower cost.

yes. and such acts and his thinking reflects the culture of the whole of the Ministry, and even the culture of the whole PSC. If there are many of such people around, imagine the amt of $$ wasted and excess resources in the Ministry?

This incident reminds me of NKF. When it was 1st announced that Durai salary was$600K+, there was a lot of hooha. But many also defended his pay. At that time no other faults were discovered, but I always feel that such a high-pay culture for a charity org is not right.

a lot of them defended because the rationale they used to give high pay to TTD is the same rationale for the high payment for ministers - that you have to pay high to attract talents

There is nothing wrong to spend his salary but not when he boasted it is ok to take 5 weeks leave like we can...

It's just politically incorrect and insensitive to write about 2 things in his article openly, he is asking for trouble regardless of good time or bad time.

1) The amount spent. He can relate his experience but need not spell out the amount so CLEARLY (to boast about his wealth ?).

2) The few sentences of "being at the top". I can understand where he is coming from but this will be considered proud or boasting by many. I have never expected people of his level to make this kind of mistake. This leads us to the EQ of our so called elites.

On the other hand, why on earth ST did not do any editing before publishing it, oversight / ignorant ? Hard to believe........ [confused]

a lot of them defended because the rationale they used to give high pay to TTD is the same rationale for the high payment for ministers - that you have to pay high to attract talents

But high pay does not mean integrity. This guy is just like Durai at his peak. Durai was arrogrant and complacent and started sueing SPH even though he know he is in the wrong.

No, his money comes from his salary paid by the country whom we pay tax to.

so does your boss control how you spend money? and if he does, do you follow what he said or you don't bother.... coz you earned the money?

my sentiments exactly......you see the value in being the Head is leadership not about just doing work. I agree work in the strictest sense can be delegated to subordinate most times once they are familiar with how to do it. But you cannot delegate Leadership and Decision Making to subordinates. For short period, we can still say hope that nothing unusual happens that subordinates don't have to take over the Leadership and Decision role. For 5 weeks, it simply means another person can take over that role successfully at a much lower cost.

People are highly paid in leadership not because your job can be delegated to other people. You are paid highly because there is accountability. If something happens, you chop off the head of the leader.

Unfortunately, in SG, leaders heads cannot be chopped off. MSK case etc.

But high pay does not mean integrity. This guy is just like Durai at his peak. Durai was arrogrant and complacent and started sueing SPH even though he know he is in the wrong.

We don't look for integrity in leaders. We look of accountability. Clinton had Lewinsky suck his dick but do we care? No but the world economy then was really good.

We don't look for integrity in leaders. We look of accountability. Clinton had Lewinsky suck his dick but do we care? No but the world economy then was really good.

But for charity org and I think govt sector, integrity is also impt. Even for commercial org.

The suck dick eg is more of morality, not integrity.

But anyway if Obama is in the shoes of clinton now, global shares will plunge again!

People are highly paid in leadership not because your job can be delegated to other people. You are paid highly because there is accountability. If something happens, you chop off the head of the leader.

Unfortunately, in SG, leaders heads cannot be chopped off. MSK case etc.

haha i would agree with you on accountability part but still insist leadership is important. because if sole criteria is accountability and chopping off head, i don't mind stashing $1m every year and then to be chopped off after those years in the name of accountability....

but still in sg govt, it is unique.....accountability is not part of the trade off to a high pay....

so does your boss control how you spend money? and if he does, do you follow what he said or you don't bother.... coz you earned the money?

You don't get it do you? No offense but why don't you read carefully what

we were referring at before jumping in to reply. I really don't know how to answer

your question.

You don't get it do you? No offense but why don't you read carefully what

we were referring at before jumping in to reply. I really don't know how to answer

your question.

nah.. i'm just being singaporean by jumping to conclusion and being narrow minded... doesn't have to look at big picture but just nit pick on things [bounce1]

you don't really have to answer me.. I already got the answer before i post ...

ha ha... this one I think some boss will [lipsrsealed]

Imagine during recession whereby your boss is facing decline in sales, you came to work and park a shinny new BMW beside your boss Merc, and check time on a newly purchase AP watch, talking on new iphone, walking on new Prada shoes, or whatever, and still can ANNOUNCE loudly to your colleagues that you want to go for a long PAID 5 weeks leave with your wife and kid to Switzerland IN FRONT of your boss.

See how your boss react... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement