Need advice for rear view cam + monitor

Alb3ruang

Hi everyone, I'm seeking advice and recommendations on installing a rear view cam and monitor for my Odyssey. The roof mounted monitor(10 inch) when in use blocks my rear view mirror hence thinking of getting the cam. Not only to be used while reversing but anytime the roof mounted monitor is in use, so i guess an extra switch needs to be installed too?

Appreciate any and all advice, thanks in advance... [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement

Hi everyone, I'm seeking advice and recommendations on installing a rear view cam and monitor for my Odyssey. The roof mounted monitor(10 inch) when in use blocks my rear view mirror hence thinking of getting the cam. Not only to be used while reversing but anytime the roof mounted monitor is in use, so i guess an extra switch needs to be installed too?

why not install the monitor on the headrest of the front driver and passenger seat? that will solve all issues. [:)]

Edited by Sniperben

I think the cute 2" lcd cum rear camera on the new Merc E200 should be ideal for you. This is a local install item.

The LCD is installed just beside the rear view mirror...makes it very ergonomics to see th rear view mirror and the small lcd together while parking.

Can ask the Merc SE to recommend who is their installer.

If you are going to use the your existing 10" LCD, then its easier.

1) Install the camera, the camera will tap power from your rear lights when you engage reverse gear. Then each time you engage reverse gear, you have to MANUALLY switch from Video1(DVD/Digital tuner source) to Video2(rear camera). That is provided your LCD allows 2 seperate inputs(most does).

2) You will be lucky if your 10" LCD has the automatic priority source switching function, meaning it will automaticlly switch to Video2 whenever it sense the rear camera signal coming in. (I know most 7" Head Unit, has this automatic source switching function). Then you don;t have to manuall switch the video source each time you are reversing.

3) Of course you can also install a separate power switch for the rear camera to be on/off at you own time own target, while still retaining the reverse gear turning on the rear camera power!

Most car-hi-fi shop can do it for you. Only $$$ is the limit.

Can also install four camers and use a multiplexer to display all four images on the 10" screen!

thanks bros for the various suggestions...the 2' lcd + cam sounds good. Any idea or recommendations on cost BTW? Maybe a slightly bigger screen and IR(night-vision) cam too [thumbsup]

Also, just sidetrack a bit...any idea whether this will break any LTA rules? I recall seeing a rule about video displays to be off when driving. [drivingcar]

Alpine ! Clear and bright

Also, just sidetrack a bit...any idea whether this will break any LTA rules? I recall seeing a rule about video displays to be off when driving. [drivingcar]

Only display when reversing.

Oh yeah now that u mention it I'm also confused regarding the pros and cons between CCD and CMOS cameras. [confused] Anyone care to comment? [nod]

So technically I will be breaking a rule if I use the rear view cam while in motion?

↡ Advertisement