Mass Airflow sensor failed

Freeman

My MAF sensor failed last week.

I was on K&N filter but got it changed back to stock before sending the car back to AD to claim under warranty.

As what I've expected the first thing asked is whether I'm using K&N filter & was told that this is not a common part that fail unless I'm using oil-base filter.

Of coz I got it claim eventually but just want to check with you guys that is it true K&N filter often cause problem on MAF sensor?

Those on K&N filter, can I have some feedback from you guys on how long have you been using it & have you encounter such problem after certain number of year usage.

Just want to have some feel on whether mine is suay suay fail or highly due to K&N.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

I was on K&N filter but got it changed back to stock before sending the car back to AD to claim under warranty.

As what I've expected the first thing asked is whether I'm using K&N filter & was told that this is not a common part that fail unless I'm using oil-base filter.

Of coz I got it claim eventually but just want to check with you guys that is it true K&N filter often cause problem on MAF sensor?

Those on K&N filter, can I have some feedback from you guys on how long have you been using it & have you encounter such problem after certain number of year usage.

Just want to have some feel on whether mine is suay suay fail or highly due to K&N.

Thanks

I have used K & N since 89' on my first car till now, it's my on my 6th car or rather MPV, I also used it on my 99 Harley Davidson bike, no problem with my MAF sensor at all. You just have to ensure that you have not over oiled the K & N after you have wash it.

Read this, if it's true that the oil on the K & N will failed the MAF, K & N will not be so popular with after market filters.

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

I have used K & N since 89' on my first car till now, it's my on my 6th car or rather MPV, I also used it on my 99 Harley Davidson bike, no problem with my MAF sensor at all. You just have to ensure that you have not over oiled the K & N after you have wash it.

Read this, if it's true that the oil on the K & N will failed the MAF, K & N will not be so popular with after market filters.

Yes, Ive heard about the warning of over oiling.

All the while I've been very careful with it.

I've also visited the K&N official website before. Saw all the tests & pledge for consumers they have.

But somehow think that they are just too far away to be of any help to us here.

Bro, probably you got to leave down the how-to-oil k&n filters tips here and ask the mods to make it sticky.

I see you repeating all over the old threads in this forum.

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Feel

Ya, I'm worried about over oiling too.

I've heard people recommend cleaning the sensor using contact cleaner which I did so regularly.

Not sure is it the contact clearner itself causes the problem.

As for Vtim,

your first car is on 89 & now you're on ride number 6.

Hence, on average you only keep your car for about 3+ yrs.

What is the longest time you have used the K&N on a single ride?

Thanks

K & N filter is one of the best after market filters in the market. Many other brand with siimilar features then came on board with the same concept after K&N has been in the market for yrs.

If you use the proper K&N cleaning kit and oil the pleats accordingly. But do not over oil. It serves no purpose. You should have no problem whatsoever from the use of such filters.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks

if you agent asked about it, then there might be a slight possibility that your air filter might NOT be so compatible with your ride. With due respect, KnN makes good air filters, but there are also many unsatisfied customers out there. Maybe you should try to clean your MAF sensor/thermistor from time to time between servicing intervals. Get a 3M oil free contact cleaner from Sim Lim Tower. Good MAF sensor cleaning habits can actually drive down your fuel consumption.

I have been using K&N for many of my cars. The main problem that most people are excessive oiling....having the mentality of more is better which is not the case. Many under estimate the power of suction generated by the engine...it will pull the oil out from the cotton filter if its saturated with oil.

How to oil...

After washing, you can air dry the filter but if you rushing for time, you can use a hair dryer minus the heat.

After drying, run the oil with one pass across the filter panels. For those areas that you miss...just dab a drop here and there. The red colour is just a dye for you to see....it does not mean that you have to oil until the whole filter looks red then its fully oiled.

I normally do not oil the side that is facing the engine....ie I only oil the exterior of the filter.

I have been using K&N for many of my cars. The main problem that most people are excessive oiling....having the mentality of more is better which is not the case. Many under estimate the power of suction generated by the engine...it will pull the oil out from the cotton filter if its saturated with oil.

How to oil...

After washing, you can air dry the filter but if you rushing for time, you can use a hair dryer minus the heat.

After drying, run the oil with one pass across the filter panels. For those areas that you miss...just dab a drop here and there. The red colour is just a dye for you to see....it does not mean that you have to oil until the whole filter looks red then its fully oiled.

I normally do not oil the side that is facing the engine....ie I only oil the exterior of the filter.

But how long have you been using the K&N on any single car you have?

Many people just claim that they have use K&N for many of their ride before but every 3 to 4 years they change new car.

So how many can actually justify that there's no problem in a long run?

Thanks

My Car been using K&N filters for about 50,000km now. So far so good ley. After oiling, I normally will air dry the filters for another half a day before I install back. I also will place a paper below to check whether I had over oil while air dry in progress.

I was on K&N before. Then it started giving me problem after 5000km. Engine will cut off at time while travelling. Reason: The throttle body got too much carbon/dirt/soot. I dump the K&N filter (heart ache) after that. Stick to stock paper filter thereafter. No problem ever since.

But how long have you been using the K&N on any single car you have?

Many people just claim that they have use K&N for many of their ride before but every 3 to 4 years they change new car.

So how many can actually justify that there's no problem in a long run?

Eh...longest was 5 yrs....shortest 2yrs.

5 Years Civic...from brand new till exported. Mileage 145k km

2 year Picnic....bought 2nd hand....put in around 70k km

not how long you own the ride...but how much distance you drove with it.

BTW...if K&N users follow instructions and still cause the engine to kaput....you can write to K&N and make noise....they have been around for donkey years....and I am sure that they bother about their reputation.

I remember once that there was a report on K&N filter was the filter that the US Army used when they were fighting in Iraq....the Apache could not fly for long period of time cause of the sand keep clogging the filters. So they design one for the Apache....

But that said....everyone has their own preference on brands and products....so long as the product that you prefers dun give you problem....so be it lor.

Bro, probably you got to leave down the how-to-oil k&n filters tips here and ask the mods to make it sticky.

I see you repeating all over the old threads in this forum.

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

well, I have been a user of K & N and have no problem since 89' [sly]

do a search and there are a few members also recommend how to wash and oil the K & N, not sure still can find the thread after the migration.

Ya, I'm worried about over oiling too.

I've heard people recommend cleaning the sensor using contact cleaner which I did so regularly.

Not sure is it the contact clearner itself causes the problem.

As for Vtim,

your first car is on 89 & now you're on ride number 6.

Hence, on average you only keep your car for about 3+ yrs.

What is the longest time you have used the K&N on a single ride?

Do not used contact cleaner too often on the MAF sensor unless you are sure that there are oil being coated on it.

my first car I keep for 1yr, 2nd car for 2yrs but my 3rd was the longest for 8yrs [nod] , 4th about 2yrs and 5th is 2yrs+.

Edited by Vtim
↡ Advertisement