Making payment thru' PayPal

Alcapone

I was about to make a purchase online thru' PayPal, but I never knew I already have any account with them. I was not able to log into PayPal, so I requested for password to be sent to my email. When I retrieve my email, I was shocked to see someone's name and address registered using my email account. How is that? And, how do I cancel the account?

Edited by Alcapone
↡ Advertisement

"your" existing paypal acc is linked to any credit cards? if yes, then what are you waiting for? [sly][laugh]

seriously it could just be some blur fellow, with a quite similar email as yours, created this acc erroneously using ur eamil, but then cannot access liao....

I never created the account with PayPal. I was curious so I requested password to be sent to be email. Someone had used my email to create the account, but there's no credit card information in it. In fact, I did a search in my email and found several notices from PayPal that new addresses had been added to my account, and someone tried to log into my account several times, and someone with a foreign IP tried to log into my account, but I'd ignored all those messages, since I never purchase anything online then. But now I am going to purchase something online and hence my query on PayPal.

that may means some problem

anyone can use any valid email address to create an account, but to activate it, paypal will send a activation email.

If you are sure that someone has not activated the paypal,has not gotten access to it (i suppose your email is not compromised [sweatdrop] ) and you have changed the password, then you can change the profile to yours and use it.

Thanks for the info. I think a few people tried to do the same by adding new addresses to my unauthorized paypal account but failed to log in, and paypal informed me about that, however I'd ignored all these messages as I'd never make online purchases then. Also, I had never confirm activation of paypal account under that email account. I decided to close the account instead.

Even if you've never had that before, it will occur when you open up the paypal account.

I also get these messages from paypal stating this all the time. But everytime I check my account, there has not been any unauthorised transactions.

Just be safe and not even open up those "phishing" messages. Just go directly to your account and see.

So far, I've been alright.......

I was about to make a purchase online thru' PayPal, but I never knew I already have any account with them. I was not able to log into PayPal, so I requested for password to be sent to my email. When I retrieve my email, I was shocked to see someone's name and address registered using my email account. How is that? And, how do I cancel the account?

Found this from the Paypal website: How do I close my PayPal account?

Answer :

Before you close your account, please note that all your incomplete and scheduled transactions will be cancelled. If you have a PayPal account balance, we'll post a cheque to the address that's listed on your PayPal account.

Here's how to close your account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.

2. Click Profile at the top of the page.

3. Click Close Account in the Account Information column.

4. Follow the steps provided.

As suggested by some of the replies, most likely that fellow while setting up an acct for himself, typed in the wrong email address. anyways he can't do anything with the acct because it needs you to register a credit card or bank acct to the Paypal acct and verifed before can make any transactions.

[/size]

suggest you to cancel the account and set up a new one. personally been using Paypal for many online purchases and i feel it's really convinient and safe.

BEWARE, your account has been hacked. DO NOT continue usage.

immediately email Paypal to close that account.

i have purchased paintings and automotive parts via Paypal and have experienced a situation where the hacker used my account to purchase items to be sent to his address.

Luckily, it was discovered before any delivery was made and the problem was arrested.

Neutral Newbie

yes ..payment using paypal is safe, your cc account wont be disclose to seller. only disadvantage for foreign online purchase is the exchange rates where paypal make.

yes ..payment using paypal is safe, your cc account wont be disclose to seller. only disadvantage for foreign online purchase is the exchange rates where paypal make.

actaully if ur acct is linked to Credit card, u have a choice between paypal exchange rate or the credit card bank's exchange rate. so usually i'll compare the 2 before deciding.

Neutral Newbie

oh..i didnt know..usually the bill from CC shows the charge by Paypal. where do i have the choice of selection of CC rate of Paypal rate? from Paypal website?

eh... i'm given the choice when i make purchases from ebay... at the checkout page, they'll have a link to click on to chose option of handling currency exchange of something like that.

as for other online websites that i'm not too sure.

if i'm not wrong, u can also transfer money from ur bank acct first into ur paypal in whatever currency, so when u make the online purchase paypal will deduct direct from the credits in ur paypal

log into ur account, under "My Account" click on "Top up account" for instructions.

Edited by Tunge

Neutral Newbie

If pay by paypal, there is only one rate that is fixed by paypal, regardless which credit card u choose to debit to.

If I expect our S$ to appreciate against foreign currency, I may wait for a few days before sending payment. Otherwise, I have some amount of US$ kept in my paypal account for use if the exchange is not favourable.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks Pal yes..paypal is like an 'current' account where you can transfer money.

But as i know when paypal convert our local currency SD, paypal will base on their exchange rates, draw/ charge the amount to CC.

Next time, i keep a note if i can take advantage of exchange rate as you mentioned.

i notice if use debit card..the exchange rate is higher than a CC..last week i use debit card..kana charge 1.57+ for USD [furious]

and they also charge for conversion [:|]

btw beside paypal,which service can i use online without the 3.5% for the seller charge?

western union and moneygram no online one right?

Edited by Freestylers09

i notice if use debit card..the exchange rate is higher than a CC..last week i use debit card..kana charge 1.57+ for USD furious.gif

and they also charge for conversion unimpressed.gif

btw beside paypal,which service can i use online without the 3.5% for the seller charge?

western union and moneygram no online one right?

wah super eat money man the banks, cut throat exchange rate! my lastest purchase off ebay citibank gave me 1.54 for USD also quite bad.

as for other payment services, i'm not sure, but u can always include the seller charges to the item u r selling yah

i am always the buyer for importing in..paid seller 3.5% liao nvm..paypal conversion rate and currency rate also absorb myself nvm..worst is i give my customers at low conversion rate

lucky my shipping i can get super discount..if not i lost alot [:|]

↡ Advertisement