Falken Zirex ZE-912 tyres

Mikeyeo

I do not know if any of our members who are using the Falken Zirex ZE-912 tyres have encountered this experience. This tyre has been designed to provide good aquaplaning according to the write-up.

Just end of last month, I replaced my Goodyear Eagle LS2000 which I used for 15km to Falken Zirex ZE-912 tyres. I chose the latter after reading the specs on how good is the tyre design and aquaplaning.

This morning while driving my daughter to work in a hotel along ECP at around 5.30am, it was raining extremely heavily and the road was full of water puddles. Although the road holding is good, but the aquaplaning is below my expectation.

When going through puddles of water at 80km/hr, the "pull back" feeling could be felt although my previous Goodyear Eagle LS2000 tyres which had been used for 15000km, could still cut through puddles of water even at 90 km/hr without having any 'pull back.

I held on to the the steering wheel firmly in position to prevent the tyres from 'running off' when going over puddles of water.

I have sent an email to the President of Stamford Tires this morning providing him on my feedback that I encountered of this supposedly good aquaplaning tyres and awaiting his reply.

Meanwhile, I might be changing to another set of tyres that will provide me with good road holding on dry and wet and especially very good aquaplaning.

↡ Advertisement

If you want proven wet performance, go for Goodyear Eagle F1 (do not buy china made version).

I've personally used Falken ST115 driving 140-160km/h under heavy rain on NS highway, very good too.

I have sent an email to the President of Stamford Tires this morning providing him on my feedback that I encountered of this supposedly good aquaplaning tyres and awaiting his reply.

Please do keep us updated on what the president say. Thanks. thumbsup.gif

I was considering ZE-912 for my next replacement after reading the good review from Malaysia forum... Now reconsidering....

Hi Octopus,

In my email to the President of Stamford Tires, I quoted the following which I extracted from their newsletter on the description of the new tyre Falken ZE-912:

i believed you have chosen the wrong tyre for your requirement.

The ZE912 has a unique tread pattern which gives drivers a balanced performance -- 53% of the tread is optimized for dry grip and cornering, while 47% of tread is designed for handling in wet conditions. The tread pattern has a combination of grooves, sipes and tie-bars along with a new high-wear silica compound that improves wet weather handling

Edited by Help1

i dun really understand TS meaning on "pull back" effect...is it his action to release his accelerator and step on the brake when he felt that the car is floating over the water??? or the water is actually carried his car backwards which is very serious like tsunami [:p]

I take it that the pull back effect is the resistance when one hits the water.

Aquaplaning is floating over the water surface which is different.

So by having the resistance, isn't that the intended effect to prevent aquaplaning???

Good to know they allow you to change another set of tyres. I didn't know Stamford Tyre sell Bridgestone tyre?

From the thread pattern of ZE-912, looks like it does not have strong aquaplaning resistance. I assume the "wet weather handling" refer to wet grip, not aquaplaning?

I believe the thread pattern will affect aquaplaning, how fast can water be evaquated at high speed. But the material (such as silica) will affect wet grip, may not be a higher speed to loose wet grip, slow speed may also slide about if wet grip sucks.

i think you have misread the thread...

stamford do not sell bridgestone tyres

TS went back to the tyreshop where he bought the tyres from, stamford sales rep is there to do some PR and gather information from TS. TS lost confidence in tyres sell by stamford so tyreshop may have recommend BS to TS instead

When tyre hit water.. if it is unable to disperse the water backward or outwards, it will face more resistance and therefore feel more of the pull back effect.. if too much of the water cannot be dispersed then tyre will tend to 'climb' and ride on top of the water..

[reply]

i think you have misread the thread...

stamford do not sell bridgestone tyres

TS went back to the tyreshop where he bought the tyres from, stamford sales rep is there to do some PR and gather information from TS. TS lost confidence in tyres sell by stamford so tyreshop may have recommend BS to TS instead

I see.... Thanks for clarification. thumbsup.gif

well alot of times, the tyres are not the problem...the problem is the road condition which even good tyres may not be able to handle at times.

Errr.... actually, I find that the sidewalls are too soft.... still on my ride and about 12K kms so far. Won't be getting them again once they are worn......

Hi Help1,

I refer to your posting which you mentioned

"well alot of times, the tyres are not the problem...the problem is the road condition which even good tyres may not be able to handle at times".

Pardon me for saying, personally I do not quite agree with you. Just to share this with you are other forumers, there was a heavy downpour 2 days back and I was driving along the same stretch of ECP that I encountered with the Falken ZE912 tyres before but now with Bridgestone Potenza RE001 Adrenalin tyres at 90km/hr.

Surprising, the Bridgestone tyres just cut through pools of water with ease and could still feel the road grip on the road surface and at the same time providing very good comfort level.

Although there are many tyres that are better off than the Bridgestone that I used, what I like about this tyre is it's good roadholding grip on both dry and wet road surfaces, responsive, good dispersement of water, quiet and the edge of the tyre sidewall is rounded thus providing for good cornering grip.

I must say that I am now satisfied with this tyre that meet my critiria.

I wish to qualify and categorally state that the above is based on my personal assessment as a car owner's viewpoint of the tyre after using for less than a week.

Edited by Mikeyeo
↡ Advertisement