Which Make Offers the Best Stock Audio System?

Skanps

Neutral Newbie

Supposed continental or Lexus have better stock audio system but below is my understanding:

1.Understand that the standard BMW one is only soso but the Logic 7 is said to be good.

2.Standard Premium Sound System from Volvo is nothing to shout about but the models fitted with Dynaaudio system said to be top notch (BTW,which model or above comes with Dynaaudio system?)

3. Once test drove the new Merc C class and apparently the audio system isn't really impressive...donno if E or S class have a more superior system though?

4. Heard a Lexus GS300 with Mark Levinson system playing CD in showroom and sounds really good! But then, what bout the non-Mark Levinson system with say, Std IS model?

5. What about Audi/Jaguar/Volkswagen? Same audio system across all models or premium audio system for higher model? Good sound or also soso?

anyone?

↡ Advertisement

Mercedes W210 series, got OEM audio setup. No brand (as far as I can see from outside). Actually my personal opinion is that although there is no physical subwoofers you can see, but the bass from the rear panel hung speakers are small but yet is only giving out bass. Clarity wise from the 2 tweeters and speakers from each door are also very good.

Last time on W124, they were using Blaupunkt + Becker (CD Changer).

I'm waiting to try the new Audi B&O system...on paper the specs look really god and it has active EQ and TA with a mic that adjusts in realtime...hehe, when arrive in SG, maybe i will give it a test...

Just a comment about Volvo's sound system.

Premium Sound system is not standard except on the S80 T6, XC90 V8 and I think S60 T5. The standard sound system for rest of the models is the High Performance system (which imho is pretty decent and beats the stock systems from the majority of conti makes). The newer Premium Sound system (from MY 06 onwards) all come with Dynaudio speakers. Not sure about the quality as I haven't tried them yet.

I have listened to many brands' stock ICE setup. My personal opinion is that Volvo is the best overall, at least those models with the Dolby Prologic II systems. It is clean and crisp, with excellent staging. Mark Levinson systems on the Lexus cars have fantastic CD sound quality, but very muffled on FM radio which I listen to most of the time. The German premium brands, Audi, BMW and Merc are all pretty so-so. The Renault systems are surprisingly good.

Supposed continental or Lexus have better stock audio system but below is my understanding:

1.Understand that the standard BMW one is only soso but the Logic 7 is said to be good.

2.Standard Premium Sound System from Volvo is nothing to shout about but the models fitted with Dynaaudio system said to be top notch (BTW,which model or above comes with Dynaaudio system?)

3. Once test drove the new Merc C class and apparently the audio system isn't really impressive...donno if E or S class have a more superior system though?

4. Heard a Lexus GS300 with Mark Levinson system playing CD in showroom and sounds really good! But then, what bout the non-Mark Levinson system with say, Std IS model?

5. What about Audi/Jaguar/Volkswagen? Same audio system across all models or premium audio system for higher model? Good sound or also soso?

anyone?

In case u didnt know BMW's radio and CD changers are made by alpine...i prefered the older gen's top of the range sound system by Harmon/kardon though....if i'm correct the S-class comes with BOSE sound system?

Nicest stock audio system I've heard is a Bentley Continental GT's. Belongs to a friend in HK. Effortlessly powerful and balanced, with extended frequency response at both ends of the frequency spectrum. Non of the overwhelming bass that most people seem to like, but tight and deep.

Supposed to have 13 speakers, 2 subwoofers and pumps out > 1000w RMS.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

But is B&O system standard on all Audi? Or like Volvo, the Dynaaudio system only fitted on high model?

Edited by Skanps

Neutral Newbie

But then which Volvo model comes with the better system with Dolby Prologic II system? I've heard the system on a S40 and it isn't impressive at all....so probably the S40 is fitted only with a very basic soso system. On the other hand, I've listened to the normal (ie, not the Logic 7 system) system on a BMW 3-er and I thought it sounded better than the S40 one - well, probably because BMW even the 3-er has a much better sound insulation I suppose??

There's a chance that the S40 (2.4i I presume) you sat in belongs to the early batch which come with Performance Sound system (the really basic one, just 4 speakers). It's only in the later batches that High Performance is standard across the entire S40 range. The extra tweeters make a hell lot of difference.

BTW, the B&O system is standard on the higher end models in each range, like the 3.2s and the S or RS. The rest gets the Symphony system if I am not mistaken.

Neutral Newbie

The standard lexus IS's system is very good, this is the non Mark Levinson system, 13 speakers consist of 3 on each door and a sub. The ML is just slightly better and clearer, but u can hardly tell the diff if u are not a big audio fan. It's definitely better than the standard system on the 3,5 and even 7 series. Better than the previous generation S class to which sucks considering its a premium limo. The Audi Symphony in previous generation A4 1.8T can prob rival this system.

For 1.6 jap make, my vote goes for Mazda 3. The integrated system looks very nice and sound the best in the 1.6 litre category. It could do with a more powerful bass though

I understand that Pioneer and Clarion provides OEM for Jap cars. Some are Made in China. Blaupunkt is also OEM for several continental cars as well, one of which being Peugeot. But, contract can change, so you will really have to research.

↡ Advertisement