Why Mandarin is hard: It needs more brain work

Acemundo

Neutral Newbie
yar! me too, than better get this reader to change his/her race on the IC to something else instead of Chinese, a real banana mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

[nod][nod] he/she is a shame to chinese

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
If you flip to today straits times, there is this reader who say that chinese do not need to learn chinese if they dun want, he/she claim that if one is a chinese, it doesn't make chinese the mother tongue and learning it is not necessary. i m sure he/she is a potato. feel like slapping his/her eyeballs. period!!

I actually agree with him. A 'mother tongue' is nothing but an external prerequisite, having no intrinsic basis. 'Culture' is similarly extrinsic - a Caucasian can be born and bred in China, and feel very Chinese, there's no shame in that. The shame comes from parties who believe that language should necessarily follow the colour of their skin - quite a tenuous argument IMO...

but we are now talking about a chinese, born in singapore and bred in singapore. that's the different.

Neutral Newbie

agree, many singaporean are now switching to english, that is why the gahmen is trying to encourage people to study chinese. if i hv kids, i would want them to understand both.

In Reply To

If you flip to today straits times, there is this reader who say that chinese do not need to learn chinese if they dun want, he/she claim that if one is a chinese, it doesn't make chinese the mother tongue and learning it is not necessary. i m sure he/she is a potato. feel like slapping his/her eyeballs. period!!

I actually agree with him. A 'mother tongue' is nothing but an external prerequisite, having no intrinsic basis. 'Culture' is similarly extrinsic - a Caucasian can be born and bred in China, and feel very Chinese, there's no shame in that. The shame comes from parties who believe that language should necessarily follow the colour of their skin - quite a tenuous argument IMO... [/reply]

>>>>>>>but we are now talking about a chinese, born in singapore and bred in singapore. that's the different.

i guess a person's cultural being is usually linked to the language he uses but this may not necessary always be the case:-

for example, he may be deeply rooted in say chinese culture/tradition and he thinks and behaves in a very chinese way (if there's such a thing), but it may not necessary follow that he speaks the language. i have met chinese who speak very little chinese or not at all but they are true blue chinese in their way of life etc...

on the other hand, some good chinese speakers are really not chinese in terms of behaviour and thinging........

having said this, i guess it's still good, if possible, that we know our mother language coz it does help us to understand our root better although this is not the only way to learn our root... smile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by Super7

Neutral Newbie

without breaking the hurdle of language, learning the culture is a double up hill task.

how many kids are addressing their relatives by gugu, ah yi, su su, etc etc.... nowadays it is all uncle and aunties.

I actually agree with him. A 'mother tongue' is nothing but an external prerequisite, having no intrinsic basis. 'Culture' is similarly extrinsic - a Caucasian can be born and bred in China, and feel very Chinese, there's no shame in that. The shame comes from parties who believe that language should necessarily follow the colour of their skin - quite a tenuous argument IMO...

but we are now talking about a chinese, born in singapore and bred in singapore. that's the different.

Different? You mean Chinese born and bred in Singapore and feeling Singaporean (as opposed to Chinese) should feel ashamed? Much as many people don't want to accept it, Singapore is not China - please refer to the nearest world map for details. In fact, the most authentic Chinese of the region I can think of are the Peranakans, who are neither ashamed of their roots nor their present dwellings. They, more than most, recognise that 'culture' is not a stagnant thing. Otherwise we'd still be swinging our pigtails and tottering in bound feet.

I both accept and am proud of who I am. But it has nothing to do with who my long-gone anscetors were. I am who I am today because I have learnt from the people I love and cherish - grandparents, parents, wife, children and friends. If the ancient Chinese (or Egyptians for that matter) did something worth emulating, then we should all look at it. The person who sees only one 'culture' becomes blinkered, and doesn't allow himself the full understanding of the lessons of history, not least the reasons why those once-great civilisations are no more (at least in the form that they are now 'worshipped').

Otherwise we'd still be swinging our pigtails and tottering in bound feet.

er...just one thing, this isn't Chinese's (Han Ren) tradition or practise but Manchu's & when they occupied China, the Chinese (Han Ren) are forced to follow them. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

yesthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif, i look for lessons in history and do not confine myself to my own culture, as long as the lesson is worth learning, doesnt matter if its from another culture smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

if there's something i feel "not right" in 'my own culture', i will not hesitate to give up that part of the culture..... nod.gifnod.gif ........ at the same time, i am happy to adopt whatever is good from other cultures thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

i guess in each culture there are things which are neither good or bad eg music/custom etc, these are things i tend to keep abit lah..... smile.gifPosted Image ..... but not to the extent that i place them above same from other cultures....

Edited by Super7

without breaking the hurdle of language, learning the culture is a double up hill task.

how many kids are addressing their relatives by gugu, ah yi, su su, etc etc.... nowadays it is all uncle and aunties.

you are quite right........... how about calling me su su 7 thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif ...... seriously, first we must have genuine love/respect for the person, whether we call him su su or uncle is a way of vocal recognition.... what's in our heart is abit more important..... anyway, i like 'su su'.... but 'uncle' also can.... laugh.giflaugh.gif