Why Mandarin is hard: It needs more brain work

Acemundo

I think what can be done is following (note I am still a learning parent.. baby only 20months old)

This is based on what we are doing at the moment:

Baby looked after by my mum in the day time

(1) Wife speaks English to baby

(2) I speak English, Mandarin, and Hainanese to baby

(3) My mum speaks Hainanese, Mandarin, English (in order of frequency) to baby

(4) My dad tries to speak Hainanese and Mandarin more often

(5) My sis (who is staying with mum) speaks to baby in Mandarin, Hainanese, English

Result currently @ 20- months... Baby understands parts of her body in Mandarin, English and Hainanese. Not only that, she understands when we speak to her in all three languages/dialect.

Best time to learn Language is when they are young. Inculcate in them that all languages are important... I have seen that in my in-law's place. My younger bro-in-law and sis-in-law (5-10 years old), all can speak English/Mandarin/Bahasa Melayu/Hokkien/(little bit of Cantonese).....

Guess Malaysians have an edge in learning at least three languages..... and it shows that with the right environment, with the adults concientious efforts, learning different languages is possible......

We, as parents, also have to do our part. Use different languages, dun just stick to one.. otherwise, the younger ones will think that the commonly spoken language is the preferred/more superior language....

Just my $0.02.....

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
[nod][nod] i once asked my dad to teach me malay. he said concentrate on english and mandarin.... in time to come no one speaks dialects. so i never learn malay. i travelled to indonesia and malaysia fr business trips. talking half way with clients, they switch to malay with my local colleagues. i blur, piss but what can i do??

on the Malay... maybe can understand his point of view... but for Dialect.. i feel that we should still have our roots... so... if Hokkien should still comprehend Hokkien, likewise for Cantonese and others... this is how one can identify with one's ancestral land...

on the Malay... maybe can understand his point of view... but for Dialect.. i feel that we should still have our roots... so... if Hokkien should still comprehend Hokkien, likewise for Cantonese and others... this is how one can identify with one's ancestral land...

I totally agree with you, never forget one's root nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

Neutral Newbie

malay can be my third language mah.

good to know you are still thinking like you did. if you flip to today straits times, there is this reader who say that chinese do not need to learn chinese if they dun want, he/she claim that if one is a chinese, it doesn't make chinese the mother tongueand learning it is not necessary. i m sure he/she is a potato. feel like slapping his/her eyeballs. period!!

Malay as Third Language??.. yeah.. during my time, was only offered French, German and Jap. Took up French... but gave back to teacher few years after O levels cos never get to use it. Have always told my wife (Malaysian) that if i were given the choice of Bahasa Melayu in high school then (B Melayu option was only implemented in my fourth year high school), I would have taken up and be able to learn/use it now. Unlike now, so blur when in Msia. My brother and sister -in-laws (in malaysia) are all surprised that I dun understand B Melayu.. tehy find it STRANGE...

On the reader about Chinese not being the mother tongue.. wonder what anscestral roots he/she is from? Chinese Saying "Yin Shui Si Yuan".... (something like think about the origin of water when drinking it)

Feel so pai seh sometimes when you see the Europeans on TV spouting Mandarin (Beijing style)....

Neutral Newbie

learn malay good. indonesia, malaysia all so near us. you can get your wife to teach you mah.

yah lor, some ang moh speaks better and knows more about china history than us.

If you flip to today straits times, there is this reader who say that chinese do not need to learn chinese if they dun want, he/she claim that if one is a chinese, it doesn't make chinese the mother tongue and learning it is not necessary. i m sure he/she is a potato. feel like slapping his/her eyeballs. period!!

I actually agree with him. A 'mother tongue' is nothing but an external prerequisite, having no intrinsic basis. 'Culture' is similarly extrinsic - a Caucasian can be born and bred in China, and feel very Chinese, there's no shame in that. The shame comes from parties who believe that language should necessarily follow the colour of their skin - quite a tenuous argument IMO...

Edited by Seansene

malay can be my third language mah.

good to know you are still thinking like you did. if you flip to today straits times, there is this reader who say that chinese do not need to learn chinese if they dun want, he/she claim that if one is a chinese, it doesn't make chinese the mother tongueand learning it is not necessary. i m sure he/she is a potato. feel like slapping his/her eyeballs. period!!

hmmm.. don't know ler, i find singaporean prefer to speak english ler [sweatdrop]

in MY, we prefer to speak mandarin [thumbsup]

when there's a will, there's a way

& what's the Chinese version

'yiu zhi zhe shi jing cheng' [thumbsup]

Edited by En0203