Civic2.0 or mazda6 2.0 or sylphy 2.0 or Subaru S-GT

Patience

(edited)

did u consider JDM accord also? though outgoing for it looks damn good. i would pick the JDM accord over the civic anytime [nod]

Edited by En0203
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi,

I've driven the S-GT for 2 over months now, and currently getting avg of 9.5km/l. Still on mineral running Caltex 95. And...I started pushing to 7000rpm during run-in...much like the way I did for my previous Colt-Plus Turbo, which I clocked about 10.5 km/l. I computed manually and avg across last 9 weeks' : range from 9.0 to 10.0km/l with my wife and son most of the times. Morning (8.15am) and Evening (8pm) CTE JAMs are the usuals.

For days that i drive alone on 70% highway, I got 10.5km/l out of it. Not tried NS highway though. I am moderately heavy footed and usually the first off the line. I heard that using cruise control helps even better (not many chances to use it anyway)

It comes with Dual AVCS (much like Dual VVT-I)where both intake and exhaust camshafts timming are variable, and a new twin-scroll turbo. The chasis is much better-balanced than the previous gen (in stock form) and drives like a bigger car (90mm longer wheelbase). Good balance and composure over mid corner bumps etc, and feels 80% like a Legacy GT.

Although it does not have the S-Drive thingy, the 3-modes are still "silently" implemented in eco, normal and sports mode, much like the Intelligent, Sports and Sports #. My friend's unit had significantly better throttle response/power after ecutek (reprogrammed)tuned.

Though many web review commented its suspension, though firm, is family-tuned, but its ride quality is just great for me and family where comfort does matters in city driving. Miles better that my previous ride. Once once my wife and son are off, I do spirited runs too. More than enough unless you goes on track often.

On bad thing though...is that...most of my friend commented that the engine sounds too quiet/tame as a turbo Impreza. Well....nothing that an exhaust rework wouldn't fixed.

And...don't overly trust SE...imagine that I have correct my SE that this JDM does comes with Dual AVCS, twin-scroll turbo and factory-fitted immobiliser after much clarifications.

Go for a test drive. This car wasn't at all in my shopping list until I test drove it out of curiosity :-)

(sorry for the lengthy post though)

Edited by Palioni

since u mentioned JDM specs......

since AD also sell JDM car, so doesnt this seem like smacking the face of other ADs that claim that "JDM cars' engine isnt tuned for local useage"?

I think that statement was 'coined' by the ADs here to fend off the stiff PI competition.

IMHO, the very hot and humid/wet Japan summers are no different that what you would get in the tropics (i.e. here).

For example: The Okinawan hot summer is identical to Taiwan's .... and the distance between these 2 islands is nearer than say Okinawa is to Tokyo in the north!

Depending on which part of Japan, there are also the cold/snowy winters in the far north islands.

Thus, a JDM car designed for use in Japan only, is for sure, more than good enough for Singapore. The JDM cars have to be designed for a much wider operating range.

Really a whole load of BS from the ADs here in SG who do not carry JDM models.

I was also surprised that the SGT sounded so quiet for a 250bhp tc car. the acceleration was also smooth. but i felt that the interior is quite bland. lack of stuff. but it really drives well.

Anyway just a feedback to the guys whole replied me:

Mazda6

The seats were abit hard...and the suspension seems hard too. makin the whole journey bumpy.

quite good in acceleration compared to other 2L cars of its size. the interior is nicely done up n got quite a number of accessories.

Saab93 - tested for fun

interior's plastic is [jawdrop]...

the test car's plastic seems to be fading. not nice. doesnt seem to be worth the money. imho. i wouldnt say its good in acceleration though. maybe cuz its body is heavier.

SGT - look at 1st para

VW golf gt & jetta

shouldnt have tested it.now i have another car to consider...headache [sweatdrop]

both cars' acceleration seems to be more 'violent' compared to SGT. you'll have a kickback feelin when u accelerate. GT seems to be the more comfier ride though jetta is a sedan. GT's seats seems to be of better quality and its nimble in movements. but if u need bootspace, jetta really should be considered.

ok... thats my amateur feedback.

I wana ask u guys, VW GT seems noisy when accelerating thus giving me the impression it burns alot of fuel. But the SE claims the car can get 13km/l... how true is that?

2 things you need to know,

1. Jetta is made in mexico and Golf GT made in South Africa.

2. Golf GT sounds noisier because its a hatchback. Saloon is usually quieter because, 1. the boot insulates you from exhaust noise (which HB does not), 2. drag coefficient of saloon is usually lower than hatchback, hence less drag and less windnoise and possibly better fuel economy.

hi thanks for ur info.

anyway cars made in South africa shldnt be a prob right? since i see quite a number of golf (more gti than gt) running ard.

if i am not mistaken, a FC of 13km/L ls actually quite good, thus i'm questioning how credible this is? can a car that has SC n TC perform so well especially when the 1.4l engine seems to be straining (from the loud noise) itself all the time?

Neutral Newbie

you are right about the shove you get from the vw gt and jetta. Both runs on DSG gearboxes which is manual with little transmission loss. Normal auto loses up to 25% power.

In fact, my previous ride also feels faster with more push...and i figured that it is due to the much stiffer suspension setup which reacts more spontaneously giving that better push but at the expense of harsher ride quality. According to reviews, the jetta's side is pretty harsh and jittery. I have personally not tested it though.

(edited)
I was also surprised that the SGT sounded so quiet for a 250bhp tc car. the acceleration was also smooth. but i felt that the interior is quite bland. lack of stuff. but it really drives well.

Peng-Yu ah,

You need to understand the label 'GT' when it is given to a special car, not just any fast car.

GT means Grande Turismo.

It means that it is a car that is designed to do long-haul tours (journeys) ... applicable especially in continental Europe, covering vast distances.

Such a car will need to be:

(1) Powerful, since there are many mountainous terrains in central Europe, as well as the high-speed Autobahns

(2) Handles well, since such twisting roads hug the contours of the region

(3) Comfortable. The GT should not lead to ear-fatigue and bone aches after a cross-country journey!

So, a WRX STI or a Civic TypeR, while quick and powerful, can never be classified as GT cars.

Thus IMHO, Subaru has achieved its objective in design and by naming the S-GT as a GT car and not another WRX vairant. It thus meets the 3 criteria of a GT, as described above.

It cannot but be quiet, for the power it exudes!

p.s. However, it is a known fact that there have been some manufacturers who have anyhow slapped a 'GT' or 'GTi' label onto their more-powerful models, but with no guarantee whatsoever of a comfortable long-haul journey .... other than just winning red-light or car park races [laugh]

Edited by Jolie888
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Wah you really got stamina my pal. After my first test drive my heart became weak and bought the car haha.

Jetta is something like a budget car from VW hence the ride quality is not as good compared to its peers. The SC and TC works together to eliminate any signs of turbo lag. Having max torque at 1.6k make you feel the back hugging the seat feeling. S-gt is max torque at 3.2k(correct me if im wrong)?

Oh yea how much is the VW EOS now? I think that is one car you can look at also.

Sidetrack abit, bro is your S-Gt a red one? I saw one like yesterday at Bukit Batok. you are my virgin S-gt sighting haha.

Too bad subaru only coming out with 5 speed autos or twin clutch variants in the 09 model that is under development now. The Ej25* engines are quite tame when not revved but once you start revving it up the engine begins to growl. From the manual i have i think the S-GT gear ratios are quite spaced out hence the lack of back hugging the seat feeling while you go through the gears.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

For the S-GT, the max torgue comes in at 2400rpm, but smooth and certainly doesn't have that much push back feel as compared to the Tsi(s).

By the way...it's a JDM 2.0l EJ20 engine and redline at 7000 rpm. Quite a quiet but flexible engine.

By the way...felt curious and set it to 2WD (FWD)for a tank run, and guess what....got 11km/l for 70%highway/30%City drive! But torque steers kicks like a FWD should (screeching tires!) when pushing straight from stationary, and especially when accelerating out out of corners. [sweatdrop] Felt like driving my previous car.

Now back to 4WD....can really the drastic differences in stability and grip. Didn't know there was such big difference....

Edited by Palioni

I void Sylphy OUT! and Civic 2.0 out.

Civic better to get 1.8 the 2 litre other than some add on fancy stuffs...not worth the premium. Better get the M6. But not sure how basic is basic.

Camry 2.0 and Accord 2.0 will assure better value or the new Cefiro which is on the way?

Cos I think you not performace orientated ya...otherwise S-GT hands down.

↡ Advertisement