CAG - Split of Partnership

Koolaba

Realised that partners at CAG workshop have decided to go their own ways when I enquired about the cost to perform a 45,000km service on our Superb. Alex is running his own vehicle servicing and repair business and operating out of the Paya Ubi premises.

Anyway, the charges quoted by Alex is no longer competitive compared to Servotronic. Labour + oil filter charges are $20 dearer compared to what Servotronic has quoted.

As a first-time patron of Servotronic, I must commend that Dennis and Philip, together with their team of mechanics, are dedicated in their work. The brake pads on our ride were thin enough to warrant replacement, although the brake pad change indicator (on the dashboard) has not lit up.

For a total price of $290 inclusive of labour for oil change (with self-supplied engine oil), oil filter, front and rear brake pads replacement, I would say that the price is fair.

↡ Advertisement

hey TS, what actually prompted you to try Servo other than the "uncompetitive" charges ? I gathered that you have always visited CAG ?

Well, read from VAGSG tt the split is not recent. Alex now runs his own "biz" as RS Tuning ..... For me, I may try CAG cos its nearer to my house .....

Neutral Newbie

I have tried both. I prefer Servo for their price and service.

Alex (RS tuning) is now alone with 1 or 2 assistance. When he is busy, he has no patient to talk to you or advise you. Normal servicing cost me close to $200. [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

15K up already, but the computer never prompt me for servicing! [confused] I think the computer [hur] after CnC reset at 10K. [laugh]

Anyway, too busy now...will go down to service soon. Then....... [sly]

Did one oil change at CAG so far. Well, Alex was trying very hard to push a rather unknown engine oil to me and he was downplaying other brands of engine oil when he realised that I was self-sufficient with my engine oil.

Servotronic managed to identify a blown fuse on my VAG.COM port, which neither CA nor CAG did. The VAG.COM diagnostic system cannot run a diagnostic, more so pick up fault/error codes in the presence of an open circuit in the VAG.COM system. For the record, CAG simply used the trip reset method to reset the service reminder.

The Servotronic workshop may seem messy, but I value expertise and competitive pricing over aesthetics.

If your engine has accumulated sufficient engine (running) hours to trigger off the service reminder before the 15,000km mark. IF you have been stuck in start-stop traffic conditions very often, you are more likely to encounter the service indicator 1st.

Neutral Newbie

O.k, now I understand how the computer work. Thanks [wave]

I have tried CAG in-house oil, the engine feel smoother but less responsive(or power?)

Come to think of it, my ride gave the best FC when I was on c*rlube although the engine tend to be a bit rough and noisy around 6000km.

Now I'm on SPC Syn Ace 5w40, engine quite quiet (even after 6000km) but ride quite sluggish frown.gif

Think I'll switch back to c*rlube since I make it a point to change every 7500km. Cheap and economical.

Think the RRP is $88 (or something like that) per 4L bottle. Well at least that's what the car mag. subscription says anyway.

↡ Advertisement