Charcoal Air-con filter

Carlover76

Guys,

Anyone heard of such item called the Charcoal air-con filters?

If you know, do advise me where can I get it cos thinking to put into my car to prevent odour from the air-con caused by the building up of bacteria and mould from the air-con.

↡ Advertisement

It helps but I find that it's not so useful. better to get those tab from daiso instead.

strangely I still have mould on the filter that comes with charcoal on them

standard for mine as well but I find that paper filter is half the price and ok as well. thus I changes filter more frequently rather than uses the charcoal inset version which have mould on them after 1 year.

how's the situation like for those on Merc?

For Merc, it's default for air re-circulation to be off, so the charcoal filter is a must. C&C replaces as part of regular maintenance when required. With the filter, there's absolutely no smell from outside.

This is basic Merc design, to ensure fresh air whilst driving/idling.

Charcoal does not have the ability to kill any bacteria or mould or fungus. It is used to remove odours and hydrocarbon compound in the car caused by foods, people's fart, blah blah..

I had my air re-circulation to be defaulted as on even if charcoal filter coz when I had the charcoal filter which come as stocked, the outside fume still smells

No way in S'pore can we let ourside air in unless it's at nite whereby there's no car.

But I'm surprise that Merc is doing it so well now. Guess I shall smell closely next time when I pop over C&C

Actually I was thinking to do the Iogenic Treatment but found out the price is $850 which is very expensive so I think twice again.

No doubt that will help to remove the bacteria and odour off the car for at least 5 years.

Charcoal or ''Carbon Activated'' filters are good in removing odours. Some of these "CA" filters are made of cloth like material with a piece of carbon or charcoal coated cloth. In terms of air flow, if you were to notice, the white colour filter (made up of paper like fibers) will allow more air flow than those ''CA'' Filters.

For me, I would install those white colour filter (due to more air flow and at cheaper cost), coupled with those ''charcoal gel blocks'' that I could get for S$2.00 each at IMM Daiso and place it at different corners in my car (normally, 2 - 3 blocks will be enough, depending on the size of your car). It works well in removing odours.

Just to share my point of view, you may try it...

Thanks brother for your suggestion.

Below is my setup :

I have installed the CaireFresh Hepa air-con filter in my car, I have also purchased the Charcoal from Daiso and on the packaging, it states can be used in car. I have put 2 box of charcoal under both my seats.

I have also put the chiong type of Thirsty Hippo, it is called Thirsty Camel in my glove box.

Is my above setup good enough to remove moisture in my car to prevent further bacteria/fungus growth and remove the bacteria exist in the air-con coil?

Do I need to park my car under hot sun to activate the charcoal?

Me more kiasu than you

me put 1 pc charcoal block each at the 4 doors, 1 moisture absorbing block (charcoal type) under passenger, 2 packet charcoal at boot (this charcoal sticks need to be put under hot sun for a few hours every 1 - 2 mths).

Your car mat needs to be remove of dust every few days in order to maximise the lifespan of your filter as ur filter is at the passenger's side.

Hope my set up is useful to you...

I got got those ioniser..from CARMATE

BTW, what you do inside your cabin does not have the mold preventing affect on the air con coil..which is located inside your engine bay...

Edited by Byond

I went to the shop located at Clementi West, shop name as below :

Taste Original Pte Ltd 721 Clementi West

St 2 #01-122

Tel 6872 5854

They have advised me to put at least 1 - 1.5KG of Bamboo Charcoal in the car in order to be effective, they also told me no need to put all around the car, just one pack of 500g under one of the seats and the other 500g at the boot area will do.

Attached is the packing of the Bamboo charcoal in packet form, they have it in 500g and 750g, they have the charcoal spray but currently out of stock, the charcoal spray is very effective in removal the smell in the room or car with just one spray and leave it overnight. thumbsup.gif

post-8-1198755651.jpg

↡ Advertisement