Is The 3 Year Warranty for New Cars a gimmick to suck people's money during servicing?

Stevegring

Is The 3 Year Warranty for New Cars a gimmick to suck people's money during servicing?  

77 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Neutral
    • Subjective

What do you use to carbon clean your engine - and every 1 or 2 weeks. Will not this cleaning frequency cause more damage to the engine seals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read most of your posts and i am amazed by your mechanical knowledge on cars. Are you a mechanic by profession ?

↡ Advertisement

Hi Guys

I just had my Swift on 31/8/07 and had clocked abt 7K so far. Alhough my servicing for 3 years are labour cost free, they are charging me $60 for mineral oil + filter and $95 for syntectic oil + filter.

So I asked if I could bring my own instead, the person told me that they will charge me $20 for the labour fee. I am puzzled. Wasnt it supposed to be labour fee free?

Bro, the price sounds reasonable to me IMHO [nod][nod][nod]

Since you are not using their oil & material, it's right that they do charge you a nominal fee else if everyone bring their own stuff during their labour free period then the company would have make nothing [;)]

3 years warranty is consider [thumbsup] cos you might not know what will kapo earlier i.e air compressor which i have replaced a brand new one when my ride was less than 1/2 year old, free upgrade to rear disc brake, replacement of IU bracket ... etc [;)]

Hi Guys

I just had my Swift on 31/8/07 and had clocked abt 7K so far. Alhough my servicing for 3 years are labour cost free, they are charging me $60 for mineral oil + filter and $95 for syntectic oil + filter.

So I asked if I could bring my own instead, the person told me that they will charge me $20 for the labour fee. I am puzzled. Wasnt it supposed to be labour fee free?

That is cheap...compared to C&C [sweatdrop]

Most cars these days are so much more reliable and can last beyond 3 years. Even if they break down pre-maturely their profit margin can cover more than the repair cost, and those servicing can even make more $$$ [whip]

Servicing for car is one of the biggest money spinner in SG. Look at the amount of "normal" workshop that only provide repair and servicing we have. [shocked]

Let me release some interesting industry figures here hey hey... The cost of buying a oil filter from manufacturer can go as low as $0.60. [crazy] And we are paying $12~$18!

A pair of front OEM brake pads cost $0.80 a pair from source. And you are paying???

A pair of OE head lamp cost $63 a pair from source. And how much it cost you???

[lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

DAMN! Juz got my rear brakepad changed @ a cost of $220 at agent! [furious][furious][furious]

Yes 90% are for auto mech, 5% for DIY and the balance are weighing scales, production overrun ballpoint pens & Giant Inflatable world globes.Very slow sales over the last decade , so have to slowly diversify away from my core business

Edited by Yeobh

Really nonsense!

No choice to pay $100++ to "re-activate" my warranty else they tell me need to pay $700+++. [knife]

Sometimes really think if these type of "Warranty" is to protect the buyer for the new car reliability or to tie the buyer down to go back for servicing.. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Ok, I understand. It's just your first post seems to point to inordinate amount of parts changed and quality issues.smile.gif

I drove a Ford once and was impressed by its handling.

But if owning a Ford or any brand that constantly has quality problems, then it's really food for thoughts.

The price of owning a car and depreciation is already so high in Sg. We don't need more maintenance worries.thumbsdown.gif

Hi Guys

If ur concerned about $20 labour, I think you will pengsan when u calculate how much the Dealer earns when you bought the car. [laugh]

Fortunately, I know how to my own servicing. After hearing from my friend (a wholesaler) that suzuki swift hardly fails for the first 3 years and that he voided his own car's warranty too, I think the money I saved from my own servicing will definitely be able cover any component repair that fails during the first three years. I am more bent on voiding my warranty.

3 components I can think of that will be great economic catastrophe if they ever fail:

(1) Gearbox

(2) Timing Belt

(3) Electronics (Engine/Gearbox/climate control ECUs)

I have had in the past expensive gearbox failures and endless trouble with the ensuing repairs. 1 was Jap and another was Conti. Both were out of warranty. Its this morbid fear that keeps me going back to AD for servicing during the warranty period.

Edited by Toeknee_33

Do you know how heavy is a car air cond comrpessor and the air parcel charges per kg charge from UK ? What if you get a lemon.Frankly , I reckon it's not economical and wise to buy in this manner.

u noe wat ur rite. never tot of tat. Its juz tat the cost is too damn expensive. i checked wif the stockist and its half the price but muz order and they wun confirm when it'll arrive.

wah bro u damn lucky ur aircon decided to go when ur car still under warranty. now my mk1 compressor juz went kong and its gonna cost me abot 1.6k if i get it from regent. now trying my luck on uk ebay.

you can try to buy from Hoover, should be much cheaper.

yeah its half the price but the guy said tat he cannot confirm when it'll arrive.

Stockists or importers will need a certain min units before placing order directly with factory. Without the min volume , the shipping and handling cost will be just too high.For sea freight normally importers will try to bring in at least " one entry" that is goods pack in std pallet volume of 1 cu m.

Wah, that is really nonsense. Since when servicing will even touch the headlamps.

thumbsdown.gif for C&C

Suppose to be "First class for cars", I thought the service also first class but... [shakehead][lipsrsealed]