Teacher wins appeal against insurer (NTUC) over legal costs

Ahyoo2002

Teacher wins appeal against insurer over legal costs

By Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 03 October 2007 1351 hrs

SINGAPORE: Primary school teacher Jonathan Lock won his legal battle on Wednesday when the Court of Appeal ruled that he does not have to pay legal bills amounting to S$120,000.

The Appeal Judges, including Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong, ruled in favour of 35-year-old Mr Lock and ended the legal tussle that spanned over 18 months.

CJ Chan described Mr Lock's case as "incredible" and said judges have not seen one "like it in all their years in law".

Mr Lock's ordeal started with a motor insurance claim to his insurers, NTUC Income.

Last year, the Primary Dispute Resolution Centre (PDRC) at the Subordinate Courts awarded him S$188 and ordered the other vehicle owner to pay S$1,200 in costs.

But NTUC Income, which is also the insurer for the other vehicle, appealed and brought the case to the High Court.

It claimed the Centre was not a court and its judges did not have the power to issue court orders. In May, a High Court ruling agreed with NTUC Income.

Mr Lock appealed and was eventually pulled into a legal tussle.

NTUC Income offered to waive the S$45,000 legal bill and even offered S$25,000 as a goodwill gesture on condition that Mr Lock drops his appeal

↡ Advertisement

I post this one here bc both insure by Aunty Lucy, yet they make the case so big.

I doubt I will ever buy my insurance from Aunty Lucy.

but some bo pian, like huge claims before or high end coupe. those other insurers dun dare to take up, aunty lucy just swallow [lipsrsealed]

Guest Julio369
Neutral Newbie

true true..as it is mandatory for every vehicle in S'pore to be insured, they have some public obligation to do fulfill that...of course new cars normally don't go for them, only coe, old, ex & rare cars.

I strongly believe they need to seriously look study their marketing strategy...

Neutral Newbie

Last time taking Aunty Lucy is because they are cheap. Now no longer the case liao, and possibly put yourself into deep sxxt. Thought buying insurance is to protect yourself but seems not at least for Aunty Lucy. [thumbsdown]

Kudos to the judge [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

they so desparate?

desperate for free advertisement.. but on the negative side....what other stunt they can come out with to shocked us and screw themselves???...... [hur]

Guest Julio369
Neutral Newbie

they just did, suing own insurance agent...

that was another classics example...but already over and not the first time...... im just keeping my eyes and ears open for next mth or so on any new shocking stunts from them... [laugh]

maybe they turn around and decided to sue the judge to recover the $$$??... [lipsrsealed][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Quote: "It claimed the Centre was not a court and its judges did not have the power to issue court orders. In May, a High Court ruling agreed with NTUC Income.

I had followed the whole story but nothing mention about the High Court judge who (she) agrees in the first place with NTUC lawyer that PDRC is not a court and cannot decide on the settlement. Her decision had led to this issue and she had failed to note that PDRC is set up by previous CJ Yong and preside by a District Judge (DJ). Another honest mistake I presume. [sly][sly]

↡ Advertisement