Some mega churches affect students adversely

Altivo

i dunno bout the experiences u have with them. but what i have with them is a good 1. religion wise i find them [thumbsup]

church wise i [confused]

what they have contribute and done in society have impress me.

the way they do thing amaze me and surely 1 of the 1st in sg.

↡ Advertisement

when i was younger my dad tough not a christian often ask my relatives and friends to bring me to church. cos he say church have all the good people and good company, which my friends at that time are not that good. and sometime he will just bring me to random church hoping that i like. weird dad uh

I will join this one.

But not keen to worship some hot air inside a rubber tube. At least have a statue lar, like that temple in Japan. Got festival somemore. [thumbsup]

No membership right? Got free FR right?? [laugh][laugh]

haha.. the one is Japan is shaped in a dildo rite??? [laugh]

i ate the sweet b4 [laugh] and i got the key chain [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

dont even need to attend one. just one preach from a person, tts it. its more like a trend now to go to church than the old faith and religion itself. sad but true. and i still dont understand why must one give (or donate if put in a nicer way) part of your salary to the church on basis. if its donation, isnt it out of free will? all brainwash.

*disclaimer: i have nothing against religion. i respect all.*

well City Harvest Church encourages tithing through Giro.... and there are even ATM machines for you to do tithing on demand, if you did not make an arrangement using Giro

10% the minimum... all the more the better..

you are strongly encouraged to tithe when you go for service, cell groups and etc....... shan't comment much on this how they go about encouraging u to tithe more and more............................................................................

*disclaimer: this is based on 1st hand experience*

Edited by Cheerios

Hmmm I guess u dont have the experience. Some churches do not allow u to leave its fold. In fact sometimes they will insist the members only have friends within the church so if you wish to leave the church u will lose all ur friends. Your "friends" will then be instructed to ostracise you. Is that free will?

Agree with you. Some of these churches prey (yes, prey) on young and impressionable teens who are lonely, have low self-esteem, few friends, and lack confidence. Suddenly, they find themselves in the midst of a group of people and are told that they are loved and that they "belong" etc. It may not be brainwashing but it is a very powerful influence.

I think peer pressure exists everywhere. At least in SG, the state do not restrict change of religion, unlike our nothern neighbour.

Those young teens lack self-confidence, and if someone can give them that and help them grow into a better person, why not ... if the help is genuine. The end objective of the Christians doing that may be to share Christ with them, but that does not necessarily cause their help and intention to be less genuine.

Just like our parents may have one end objective of wanting us as children to support them when they grow old, hence they give us a good education etc. But does that make them less a lesser parent and their intentions dubious?

I would say it's a duty and it goes along with what Christianity stands for. Of coz, no one monitors how much u give except God, and unless the person has pledged the amount and willingly submit his giving to scrutiny by the church. But that's the purpose of pledging - that is accountability.

It's interesting to note that the absolute amount does not matter at all, the percentage does. A billionaire giving $10mil to the church vs a pauper giving $100 from his $1000 bank account, it's actually the latter that has given more in the eyes of God.

It may sound weird but from administration point of view it makes sense. Coz those people who collect the money every sun are volunteers too, and imagine they have to carry huge amounts every sun to the bank. sweatdrop.gif

...Now, i dare to say most (not all) youngsters look upon religion as a fad... their motives for going to church are to make frds lah, beo chio girls etc....

What kind of worship is that?? Sounds more like whoreship [lipsrsealed] ...

I have to agree with you on this. Lots of 'chio bu' are the attraction now [sly] , and the way they dress is like going clubbing [sly] No dress code?

But the theology behind giving does not mention GIRO-ing regular amounts, and the 'peer pressure' to donate [rolleyes] It's supposed to be entirely voluntary and quite anonymous, like in the old days when they used to pass a hat or a bag around the congregation.

the 10% contribution requirement is when society was mostly agrarian. the idea was that the food will sustain the monks. now a days imagine the farmer give 10%, the buyer who brings the farm food to market gives 10%, the city dweller who needs the food also gives 10% etc etc..

the whole thing is just twisted

well City Harvest Church encourages tithing through Giro.... and there are even ATM machines for you to do tithing on demand, if you did not make an arrangement using Giro

10% the minimum... all the more the better..

you are strongly encouraged to tithe when you go for service, cell groups and etc....... shan't comment much on this how they go about encouraging u to tithe more and more............................................................................

*disclaimer: this is based on 1st hand experience*

Bro...nothing in the world is free. Not even FAITH. [sweatdrop]

IMHO...there is nothing wrong with having faith in something. But u have to understand whomever they are, be it a high prist, church leader, they are just "administrators" acting on-behalf of GOD. And not GOD himself. They are made up of ordinary ppl from all walks of life, good ones bad ones, same like any organisation. Each group will claim they are closer to GOD than others. Its only wrong when they divert away and become something like the Al Qaeda.

Edited by Hiphiphoray

if you go to most churches, you see that members compete see who give more, thn who talk loudest. its become a show off fest. especially mega churches. and very politic some more.

its the humans who just go power hungry, show off and want to control the church, really disgusts me

↡ Advertisement