TVR Speed 12 Prototype

Jgoh

Neutral Newbie

Here's the outrageous STG245,000 TVR Speed 12 Prototype with its 800 bhp V12, capable of 0-60mph/0-100kmph in 2.5 secs, with a top speed of over 240 mph...

post-3-1053187223_thumb.jpg

post-3-1053187224_thumb.jpg

post-3-1053187225_thumb.jpg

post-3-1053187226_thumb.jpg

post-3-1053187227_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Noticing that the rear rims and the front sets are different in the last picture. But the rest, all 4 are the same. Whats the imprecation for such setups?

Neutral Newbie

Yes, the rear wheels are wider to handle the outrageous 660-bhp-per-tonne!!! That's even 20% more than the McLaren F1's 550-bhp-per-tonne. This prototype (1997) never made it into production because it was deemed too expensive and impractical for road-use. The Cerbera Speed 12 was developed instead, for racing...

I remember driving itsly.gif..... really fast, and very loud engine... thumbsup.gif

of course that was in a computer gamelaugh.gif... Need For Speed III if I recall correctly.nod.gif

I'm sure Super7 will know what I'm talking about.thumbsup.gif

Apparently TVR boss Peter Wheeler said it was so fast he couldn't trust anyone with it [sweatdrop] Knowing the 'regular' TVR cars' reputaion for waywardness, that's not hard to believe...

Neutral Newbie

Does the game also provide a vibrating 'mat' to sit on so that you could feel the engine rumble through the seat of your pants??? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifsweatdrop.gif

Neutral Newbie

Monstrous, it is! To say it is Intimidating is to call it, Cute!!! sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

Neutral Newbie

Yes, it was Peter Wheeler who put the brakes on further production development on this prototype. That was in 1997. Then, in 1998, TVR took the idea and developed the Cerbera Speed 12, and have been racing it ever since.

The idea of a road version Speed 12 (see pics below) never left the TVR engineers who always wanted to expound the 7.7 litre V12 to its full potential, because racing regulations subjected the engine through restrictors which limited its output to 660bhp. You must've heard the story of the TVR engineers wanting to measure the max power of the engine without restrictors, but blew up the dyno that was measuring it before they were barely halfway there!!! sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

Helps to appreciate the development challenges faced by the Bugatti Veyron chaps. nod.gif

post-3-1053282151_thumb.jpg

post-3-1053282152_thumb.jpg

with my stomach condition, I'd probably have to go to the toilet after each race laugh.gifshakehead.giftongue.gif

Incidentally, that was the only computer game my wife played (she's averse to gaming)... She actually got quite "into" the game thumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

800BHP !!!

wooo... that's mad...

and see that 0-100 time... that's crazy..sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

That must be exactly what Peter Wheeler himself said when putting a hold on the road Speed 12. Guessing him, this exercise must have been just to tell the motoring world that TVR could do it, if they wanted to! nod.gif

Neutral Newbie

Trust things are going well for ALL at home... smile.gif

↡ Advertisement