CAI tube

Theoldjaffa

hi all,

i've got a 75mm billion funnel. will like to buy a CAI flexible heat resistant pipe to connect to this. price is rather steep.. about $80 for 1.2m.

any idea where i can buy the pipe at a cheaper price?

thanks!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

try king george ave?

weng hock hardware..

sells all kind of tube..just give him ur diameter..will do...

near to lavender...close to hotel 81 lavender..

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

just wonderring...

the CAI tube usually connects to the air intake openning so that it can draw in cooler air from outside the engine bay right?

Suppose the CAI tube does not connect to the air intake (i.e. the air intake is still stock type), but just scoops cooler air from outside the engine bay, into the engine bay (near the air intake).

Will this help?

Edited by Sleepengine

There's minimal or even no effect at all..... Directing the cold air to the engine bay does not help at all....

If the intake is still stock, u still can direct cold air to it.... But u must remove the resonator or snorkel first then u can connect the hose to the air-box.... And u'll get the ram-air effect.... And the outcome is just like the Mugen setup... Provided that the stock paper filter is replaced with an aftermarket one...

will work most probably

but u need to sample the best position lst before deciding which is the best position?

Get what i mean?

dont put too near to the ground

at least must be knee level above..so lesser possibility of sucking up water

if can...put a net over the mouth opening..

added gateway to suck in dead leaves etc...

Neutral Newbie

actually, the reason why i dun wan to hook up the CAI pipe directly to the air intake is to get around the sucking up water problem.

i figured with a gap between the CAI and the air intake, if the CAI tube is flooded, the stock air intake can still take air from the engine bay (although the air may be hotter) the normal way

hmm..very chim..but i get what u mean..

what car u driving?

my car got limited options for ram air intake...unlike mit lancer.. :)

Neutral Newbie

I'm driving a chevy

actually, doesn't really matter wat car lah...

i keep reading that having a bumper CAI means having to worry about flooding conditions so was thinking how to get around it.

I also read somewhere that CAI is more about air flow than cold air, so I thought I just ask around to see how it goes....

actually, the reason why i dun wan to hook up the CAI pipe directly to the air intake is to get around the sucking up water problem.

i figured with a gap between the CAI and the air intake, if the CAI tube is flooded, the stock air intake can still take air from the engine bay (although the air may be hotter) the normal way

You are right. As long as there is no vacuum between the CAI pipe and the air intake, water will not get sucked up.

Btw, I'm using an open pod filter in my ride. Usually ppl using open pod will do up a closed heatshield box with the open pod enclosed inside and the CAI hose connected to the box. But for mine, the open pod isn't enclosed in any box. My stock air intake hose (without the stock airbox) and CAI hose are directed at the open pod. Then it's just shielded off from the rest of the engine bay to minimise direct heat but not covered.

Neutral Newbie

I dun really intend to do open pod cos i read that it'll lower lower end pwr for auto cars. think i'll just do up the CAI hose and blow it at the stock air intake.

hopefully a few splashes of water from rain or puddles will not kill my engine

Neutral Newbie

i have cai but the outlet is at the stock location above the front wheel.i tried to put at the grille but it is blocked by a metal piece.the only other option i have is to drill a hole and put a funnel on the front bumper.

my question is will putting the outlet on the front bumper be better or is the effect exactly the same??

By doing so, you will have ram air effect when moving. but when in jam, it's the same as sucking hot air from engine bay. unless u box up the open pod with heat shield material i.e creating a vaccum environment.

Neutral Newbie

so what u r saying is that puting it on the bumper would be better.

any ideas as to how much a billion funnel might cost and drilling a hole to the bumper might costs?

hi all,

i've got a 75mm billion funnel. will like to buy a CAI flexible heat resistant pipe to connect to this. price is rather steep.. about $80 for 1.2m.

any idea where i can buy the pipe at a cheaper price?

thanks!

my is ard 2.5inches 50CM got it from Kelantan Lane selling < 20 bucks....