Are Parallel imports (PI) the equivalent of pirated CDs?

Kelpie

Are Parallel imports (PI) the equivalent of pirated CDs?  

179 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Neutral Newbie

One day Mr Teo [rifle] Jobless....see he wanna continue sell cars or not? hahahaha

Really wonder how he can be MD!

Thanks to PI...we are not under the MERCY of Agent monopoly....

Edited by Guitar77

Neutral Newbie

[reply]1. Ok, this one was extracted from another discussion thread and was based on BT 18/4.

2. "Parallel imports (PI) are the equivalent of pirated CDs, declares Teo Hock Seng, managing director of Komoco Motors. This is despite the fact that there are no parallel imports of Hyundai cars, of which Komoco is an authorised distributor.

'Parallel imports affect everybody because of their pricing,' says Mr Teo. But more importantly, he is concerned that buyers of PI cars have no recourse because of the lack of warranty on the product and a possible credibility issue with the seller.

As a result, safety standards could be compromised and this is dangerous.

'Parallel importers have no warranty costs and no obligations to the buyer,' says Mr Teo, adding that they don't have high overhead costs either. 'I am so irritated that I am thinking of going into the PI business too.'

'PIs affect everybody because of their pricing,' explains Mr Teo. 'The high brand equity of the Japanese makes, at the same price as a Korean car, is eating into my market.'

What do you think?

Without PI the so call AD can call the shot .. i think there why KM is take order for the new STREAM cause they don't want the whole sillypore to flood with STREAM but all are from PI( like what happen to WISH ) the so call AD their servicing can cost a bomb

and take up the whole day to change just engine oil, as we know changing of engine just take 2 to 3 hrs but they always claim they need to change this and that but in the end after serving car still breakdown. If you have friends working in those so call AD they will tell you how NICE their live in there mornings coffee breaks,, afternoons coffee breaks...etc

For this analogy to hold, the parallel import cars that coming in must be manufactured by someone else!

Whether a car is a Jazz or a Fit, both are manufactured by Honda! So a Fit is not a "pirated" version of the Jazz!

A more appropriate analogy is buying your CD from HMV/Tower records or from your HDB CD shop. The former provides you air-con etc when you buy, but the CD is usually more expensive. The latter may not offer much of a shopping experience, but you get your same CD (not pirated, mind you) at a lower price!

Only thing is, unlike cars, you don't usually require after-sales service for CDs.

so by that mesure proton and perdua are pirates albeit legal ones [laugh][laugh][laugh]

1. Ok, this one was extracted from another discussion thread and was based on BT 18/4.

2. "Parallel imports (PI) are the equivalent of pirated CDs, declares Teo Hock Seng, managing director of Komoco Motors. This is despite the fact that there are no parallel imports of Hyundai cars, of which Komoco is an authorised distributor.

'Parallel imports affect everybody because of their pricing,' says Mr Teo. But more importantly, he is concerned that buyers of PI cars have no recourse because of the lack of warranty on the product and a possible credibility issue with the seller.

'Parallel importers have no warranty costs and no obligations to the buyer,' says Mr Teo, adding that they don't have high overhead costs either. 'I am so irritated that I am thinking of going into the PI business too.'

'PIs affect everybody because of their pricing,' explains Mr Teo. 'The high brand equity of the Japanese makes, at the same price as a Korean car, is eating into my market.'

What do you think?

Regards,

I think PI are more like those export sets audio CDs... Original CDs but not originally intended for SG...

Neutral Newbie
[laugh] What a load of rubbish!

PI and AD are the same one lah. Sure got some good and some bad lah.

ya... agreed....!! sometime... PI car are even better....

1. Ok, this one was extracted from another discussion thread and was based on BT 18/4.

What do you think?

Regards,

i think its an understatement to call JDM models grey imports or "pirated"

if u know wats really in a car, u'll be amazed by wat kind of low specification the local agent bring in due to the tax system here. this could somehow explain why some of the agent's OMV are so much lower.. lack of driver's airbag, extra options etc... tell me abt Hyundai having better safety standards, where's the driver/passsenger airbag in the small cars that the agent brings in??? Dun tell me Korean got higher standard than the Japanese..

who in the right mind would bring in a Parallel Imported Hyundai when the agent is selling so cheap already.... i think maybe the agent should start looking at bringing in more higher specs model.

there are typically 2 types of models from Japan, Export Model & JDM... both may be having identical body/engine, but when u go into details, there are many more differences apart from the interiors, available options, etc...

i dun suppose anyone can get Spec-C WRX or S204, EVO-9 MR, Evo-6 TME, GTR-34 V-Spec, RX-7 Spirit R, Civic Type-R EK9, Integra Type-R, Civic Sir-II, Accord Euro-R, Vitz Turbo, Stream RSZ..etc from any of the exported model....

the Japanese always keep the best for themselves... the downside abt getting PI is the availablity of spare parts readily...quality wise i think need no further explaination..

Hope that Mr Teo is still alrite...

If the PI agent put a toyota badge on Civic, or honda badge on corolla, or hyundai badge on picanto... that is pirated.

Those PI car is manufactured by the original manufacturer... how can it be consider as pirated? If PI is consider pirated, I believe the car manufacturer will take action long b4 Teo Hock Seng say anything (eg, toyota sue toyota, honda sue honda, guess that will be a very interesting situation.

The only pirated car I've seen almost everyday in SG are those Harrier putting on Lexus logo.. well, you can also call that immitation if u want to. [cool][cool][cool] unless Lexus is gg to sue these toyota owners, else, dun think anyone can say anything about that...

Mr Teo, if you ever see my post, I would personally advise you to consult a doctor to ensure your are mentally stable... just my recomendation, no its not a must but it will be good for your family and friends if you were to do so... [sweatdrop][gossip][gossip]

Neutral Newbie

Well, I had a bad experience with my new car esp I booked one at 18/1/07 and till now, they still cannot believed even when I have promised me that I was supposed to collect the new car at the end of April. In the agreement, it is agreed to be to believe on early April.

They even claimed to be one of main PI...but all are ********. In fact, they will sell you their mother if the price is right. They really have no pride....all ********.

My advice is not to go to them...but too bad that the authorised dealers don't carried certain models. They too...are not giving their customers choices.

Supercharged

did your contract with them state any compensation for you if they did not deliver on time?

go demand compensation on a per day basis, eg. $100/day of delay.

Neutral Newbie

Even now...they written on a piece of paper without their company's letterhead or company's stamp that I will collect the new car on 15/5. They say...if they don't deliver on time 15/5 I can claim whatever I want. To me....another bxxxxxxt, nothing in the piece of paper stated that. When I told them this...they gave other excuses.

I remember that when I called them after 18/4...they kept saying that the car was still in the harbour or this and that.

The worst thing is that I have introduced them 3 clients...bloody idiot! Then they became honest with me. The more I think about it...the more I get angry.

What do you think?

Regards,

Parrallel import lah, pirated CDs lah.... they bring down prices to affordable level.... I call it sensible price level. [lipsrsealed]

Neutral Newbie

That is why....I want to log-in here to check with the many brothers to see what is the best way/method to settle this problem with the PI. Frankly...I am not trying to get the salesman or the manager of Hua Yang into any trouble with their boss. All I want is to get the issue settled asap...and I can move on. Really giving me lots of headache and made me look like a big bxxxxxxt as them ( Hua Yang )

Neutral Newbie

hi bro,

Any trusted PI out there in the market? Me and my bros have to change our cars soon becoz we bought our cars during 2003....high COE plus the cars are started to sound funny.

Neutral Newbie
not fully like that lah!, PI also got very good car such as Wish, Airwave, Axio..etc [thumbsup]

but compare to KM Civic FD, feel PI Civic FD abit pirated [:p]

Hello bro,

Yes, I agreed with you. That is why I bought a Toyota Axio from them. Their problem is that they have this "bad habit" of not carried out their promise as stated in the agreement that damaged their company's name and businesses.

I agreed they have some good cars to sell....they are so stupid and greedy if not they can be a force to be reckon for the Authorised dealers. No fight with their better and wider choices of cars!

Neutral Newbie

Parrallel import lah, pirated CDs lah.... they bring down prices to affordable level.... I call it sensible price level.

Yes! frankly they should know if they can clean up their actions and become "honest and reliable". They can have a bigger piece of the pie! They must open their eyes to see their potential. What is waste? Their reputation is at staked due to some black sheep.

Neutral Newbie
Well, I had a bad experience with my new car esp I booked one at 18/1/07 and till now, they still cannot believed even when I have promised me that I was supposed to collect the new car at the end of April. In the agreement, it is agreed to be to believe on early April.

They even claimed to be one of main PI...but all are ********. In fact, they will sell you their mother if the price is right. They really have no pride....all ********.

My advice is not to go to them...but too bad that the authorised dealers don't carried certain models. They too...are not giving their customers choices.

Bro,

Be warned....shithead! again another delaying game. Supposed to collect my new car today but till now no sound from them. I called up the salesman...he went MIA.

Sad that these people don't really know by doing what they are doing will condemn their reputation or they are like those durian sellers in GL. No pride!!!

↡ Advertisement