Are Parallel imports (PI) the equivalent of pirated CDs?

Kelpie

Are Parallel imports (PI) the equivalent of pirated CDs?  

179 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

1. Ok, this one was extracted from another discussion thread and was based on BT 18/4.

2. "Parallel imports (PI) are the equivalent of pirated CDs, declares Teo Hock Seng, managing director of Komoco Motors. This is despite the fact that there are no parallel imports of Hyundai cars, of which Komoco is an authorised distributor.

'Parallel imports affect everybody because of their pricing,' says Mr Teo. But more importantly, he is concerned that buyers of PI cars have no recourse because of the lack of warranty on the product and a possible credibility issue with the seller.

As a result, safety standards could be compromised and this is dangerous.

'Parallel importers have no warranty costs and no obligations to the buyer,' says Mr Teo, adding that they don't have high overhead costs either. 'I am so irritated that I am thinking of going into the PI business too.'

'PIs affect everybody because of their pricing,' explains Mr Teo. 'The high brand equity of the Japanese makes, at the same price as a Korean car, is eating into my market.'

What do you think?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

not fully like that lah!, PI also got very good car such as Wish, Airwave, Axio..etc [thumbsup]

but compare to KM Civic FD, feel PI Civic FD abit pirated [:p]

Edited by Quantum

You miss out some parts where PI under-declaring OMV was mentioned.

If that is true, and i think it is, but some agents also effectively doing it (just look at wrx's low omv), then perhaps Mr THS is right.

He is just jealous that the sales of his cars are dropping due to PIs. Come on, the introduction of Parallel import makes the car prices more competitive. [thumbsup]

Mr THS is no saint.

Komoco was well-known to do false mark-ups on their cars in order to secure high loans for their customers.

What right has he to say that PI are like CD pirates.

But he's smart in a way, because nobody can/will sue him for saying that.

For this analogy to hold, the parallel import cars that coming in must be manufactured by someone else!

Whether a car is a Jazz or a Fit, both are manufactured by Honda! So a Fit is not a "pirated" version of the Jazz!

A more appropriate analogy is buying your CD from HMV/Tower records or from your HDB CD shop. The former provides you air-con etc when you buy, but the CD is usually more expensive. The latter may not offer much of a shopping experience, but you get your same CD (not pirated, mind you) at a lower price!

Only thing is, unlike cars, you don't usually require after-sales service for CDs.

Neutral Newbie

Think he is seriously drawing a wrong reference by comparing it to pirated CDs.

Pirated CDs are much cheaper compared to the "original" as it is an illegal duplication of the actual thing.

PIs don't duplicate the car, they still get the car coming from the same source but can afford to sell it cheaper because of lower overheads. The main difference between authorized agents and PI have always been on the reliability and of course the warranty issue. Obviously the main problem lies in the fact that people don't find that extra assurance that agents are more reliable...

He must have never prepare his scripts before he goes into the press room as to compare PIs to pirated CDs [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead][thumbsdown]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

it's a free market. pirated CD means the source of the product is dodgy. the makers r some sweatshop. the shippers well they dun bunk at PSA.

mr teo should migrate to malaysia where they protect certain individuals with guaranteed long term income.

1. Ok, this one was extracted from another discussion thread and was based on BT 18/4.

2. "Parallel imports (PI) are the equivalent of pirated CDs, declares Teo Hock Seng, managing director of Komoco Motors. This is despite the fact that there are no parallel imports of Hyundai cars, of which Komoco is an authorised distributor.

'Parallel imports affect everybody because of their pricing,' says Mr Teo. But more importantly, he is concerned that buyers of PI cars have no recourse because of the lack of warranty on the product and a possible credibility issue with the seller.

'Parallel importers have no warranty costs and no obligations to the buyer,' says Mr Teo, adding that they don't have high overhead costs either. 'I am so irritated that I am thinking of going into the PI business too.'

'PIs affect everybody because of their pricing,' explains Mr Teo. 'The high brand equity of the Japanese makes, at the same price as a Korean car, is eating into my market.'

What do you think?

Regards,

Pirated CDs? I think he is just too upset over the High Overhead and lower income thingy.... [:p]

Pirated CDs? PI cars are also from the same manufacturer? Just that one from Japan and the other from UK, Thailand, etc....I think Pirated is not the thing to say....

Turbocharged

PIs are like the grey market. Similar things happening for cameras and HPs as well. You get the same product, maybe got some small differences here and there, produced by the same manufacturer via another merchant. Only thing is that warranty for PIs may be an issue.

He is just shooting his mouth off saying PIs are like pirated products. Where does the "piracy" come from when they come from the same source? If PIs are eating into his market share, perhaps he needs to understand why his pricing is higher and how he can lower it to gain back the mkt share rather than making such statements.

Neutral Newbie

What do you think?

Regards,

Of course not equivalent. when we talk about Parallel Import Cars, it's more about the products, not who's going to sell. Be it SE or PI.

Export Cars are also manufactured by the legitimate manufacturer for SE/PI, even if it's not maturfactered by orginator, but at least it gives the RIGHTS to manufacture Cars for export purposes, whereas Pirated CDs are from illegal/illegitimate makers. Polices won't catch you for driving Parallel Imported Car, but having Pirate CDs(Yes)..Prirated CDs are not authroized by the Sole distributor of the originator.

This guy is shooting himself in his foot. Talk about his servicing standards in KMC. I don't think it is up to standards. So hard to claim warranty from them, they give loads of rubbish blah blah blah. Their avenue of recourse sucks big time. [thumbsdown] Some PIs offer better after sales service than KMC. [rifle]

Turbocharged

actually hor, Piracy means it's a fake goods mah and obviously in this case, this word should not be used.....

for example: it's just like taka sell item A, metro sell item A, robinson also sell item A and some of our neigbohood shop also sell item A... each of them has their own source of supplier and at what price they sell their item A, it's up to them and who should consumer buy the item A from, consumer has every rights to decide...

if consumer bought item A from some ulu shops at very low price and later find out that items has expired, it's btw the consumer and that shop ,, service good or not from the ulu shop, consumer has to gauge themselves....so, i dont understand what's the fuss about... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement