Sounds when braking

Brock

I just changed my brake discs and brake pads. On the 2nd day, I heard some sounds coming from the front of the car. I'm not sure whether is it the brakes or not. When I move off slowly and gently press the brake, everything is fine. However, after travelling at higher speeds (e.g. 40km/h) and I start to brake, initially it would be fine. However, when the speed slows down to 25km (approximately) or lesser, there will be this 'grock grock grock' sound and it gets slower as the car moves slower until it comes to a complete stop. This has been happening for the past two days.

Is this normal after a brake disc + pad change? Or is there a problem? If it's the latter, what is roughly wrong with it?

↡ Advertisement

There are quite a few topic spoken about this. However, it sounded like new brakes scrubing in..if the disc rotor is warp, there will be vibration to the steering upon braking.

Neutral Newbie

i also have his problem too...but i dun think its new brake scrubing in leh coz mine is like going 6mths old...could it be the brake housing not well lubricated??? i just guessing..

Thanks for the reply. It's a new brake disc. Changed a new pair of front brake discs, including the brake pads.

Thanks for the reply. I did not feel any vibrations to the steering wheel upon braking. Just heard the sounds. Hopefully it's just new brakes scrubbing in. I'm just worried about safety that's all. The installer told me to run it for 20km. Not sure whether is that enough or not.

There are many reasons to this, lack of lubrication on the brake parts and cold brakes is also an issue (always reminded my wife about it). Safety is definitely a concern, then try hard braking and feel it, make sure you do that in a safe environment.

I oso have this 'grock grock grock' sound when I apply brake to slow the car just 2 mths ago. Send back to TCM & they say that is due to the rotor & replace it foc.

everytime for the first 2-3 braking of my car, the brakes will have a screaming sound...

check with my friend who previously owned an ATOS, it's quite common for old cars...

driving a G7 corolla here.

Neutral Newbie

me too, damn sian, last servicing i complained and they just removed some parts out and lubricate...now it still gives out the sound occassionally... [:|]

Neutral Newbie

think like wat one bro mentioned could be sign of rotor going to kaput. complain last servicing, they just removed some parts and lubricate and i still have the sound occassionally [:/] going to complain again next servicing...hard braking grip is still good, just dun like the sound [:/]

Neutral Newbie

it is possible with new brake pads, but should be going in a few days.

did you check yuor brake disc, maybe warp and need some trimming.

There are many reasons to this, lack of lubrication on the brake parts and cold brakes is also an issue (always reminded my wife about it). Safety is definitely a concern, then try hard braking and feel it, make sure you do that in a safe environment.

Thanks for the reply and will try it the hard braking in a safe environment. There's a pretty long stretch of empty road near my place...every week there's illegal racing there too. [sly]

↡ Advertisement