How to self-import a car ?

Alveron2001

Hi guys.

Have read a number of posts that talk about bad experiences with PI's and how we have no choice if we want to get certain makes of cars.

What about importing on our own ?

Anyone here knows what is needed to self-import a car ?

Here are the basic rules I found out. Maybe more experienced bros can give more details...

1. Car cannot be more than 3 years old from exporting country.

2. Car must come from a country with equal or stricter emmision rules than SG.

Questions:

1. How to pay those ARF/PARF taxes?

2. How to find a shipper ? (Hello DHL.. I got a car, you charge by size or weight, ahh ?)

3. How much is shipping insurance ?

Interesting right ? Maybe if someone can try it out and post his experience, bros here be their own PI. Can save anywhere from 10K to 20-30K for luxury brands... Good enuf to cover the lack of local warrenty ???

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Self importing indeed is interesting. If it is monetory reasonable and practical to do it, I'm interested!

Out of curiosity, wad car u intend to self import?

• Praise 1

you thinking of self importing? what I understand is that it is only worthwhile for the luxury/highend brands. for warranty, can try to go with brands that comes with worldwide/international warranty, like BMW, Merc etc... the local ad will have to service the internationl warranty. i guess you will have to pay a fee for the services.

• Praise 1

I am interested too. I think some of the PI really dont deserve to exist given the kind of crap business they provide.

WE singaporeans hv always been too soft n sometimes take things too easily, and prefer the most convenient way to do things. I think its time we start thinking of self importing. Someone once told me an M3 cariolet was self imported, which saved $100k. That is one hell of $$n saved.

I have imported plants n livestocks myself instead of asking companies to do for me. I would like to hear more.

Edited by Ahbengdriver
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Errrr....

If you import by plane that'll be super expensive. What I heard n seen is mostly via ship which will take between 2 to 3 months (depending of FOB location unless you import from Malaysia or Thailand). Lives @ sembawang always see cars being moved out of shipyard by those trailer.

Not too sure abt shipping insurance though but generally this is to insure yourself and shipper of ship sinking, pirates attack or ship exploded.

Edited by Neokn
  • Praise 1

I am interested too!

1) Another constrain is that the car you buy must be fully paid for, as no banks will be likely to give you loan on a car that's not visible or credible to them.

2) There is another constrain as well. The car imported must be holmogated by LTA, else the owner will have to pay for the holmogation fees, but i'm not sure of the price.

In fact, we can start by checking out the prices of JDM cars that's sold in japan, and the price in singapore.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I think the easiest way is to befriend some PI boss.

Get them to help you to import your car for a fix commission fee of say S$5000. Many are willing to do it for you. Of course you have to hand-on on many matters together with the PI boss. Once the car is in Singapore, you can bring all the original manufacturing papers to LTA for homologation(if its one of a kind car), or like M3 or Lambo then just need to do the normal registration with the proper custom, manufacturer's invoice at LTA.

The difficult part is getting the shipping company and insurance to cover the car from factory to Singaproe port. PI boss got lobang.....so you can get them to do the shipping.

Vincar, GarageR or World of Wheels will do it for you if you pay them for their effort.

If you only want to import in a car WITHOUT registering it on the road (meaning you only want to tow it to Kallang/PasirGudang for racing...then the procedure is MUCH MUCH simpler. As simple as buying something off ebay as you do not need too much paper work for LTA. You just need to pay the GST on the import items to gov.

I saw in my friends garage in holland area, two super cars that he ship in just for his own pleasure. A old Farrari Testorasa and a still stunning Lambo coutech( both cannot drive on Singapore road since it cannot be registered with LTA). He also has afew motorcycles like those you see in American choppers show. Real cool bikes also for show only.

• Praise 1

Found the complete LTA guidelines and rules here.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onem...ile.tmp/car.pdf

But I guess the more important stuff is the Actual HOW-TO like KISS29 mentioned.

1. Shipping lobang

2. Insurance Lobang

Wonder if anyone has tried self import before....

Haha... Wait After someone post his experience.... about 50-100 more bros here start self PI biz.... Aiyohh.. More PI's in the market.....

Neutral Newbie

If the so called 'ah-beng' and ah peh can be PI boss.

I don't see why anyone of us cannot read thru the LTA rules and import in the car ourselves.

I read the procedure is not at all difficult. Its only TEDIOUS and METICULOUS. You have to lias with the overseas vendor, maybe visit him. The coordinate the shipping matters and paper works. ALL TAKES ALOT OF TIME AND EFFORT..at least for those on the first attempt.

If your daily working hours is very flexible then it will be a breeze. But the problem is many of us have full time jobs that restrict our time and energy to do a proper importation.

Neutral Newbie

Hi

This is really a interesting route to explore. I was wondering anyone here actually had done this before? Maybe can share their experiences.

Oh, anyone can provide the link in the classifieds here that one UK chappie was trying to sell his cars here. I couldn't seem to find it now [:/]

• Praise 1

From friends who do self import, the comment is that it may not be cheaper because:

1. Most PIs "under declare" OMV. If you self import, are you willing to do that?

2. PIs do have volume and cheaper transportation arrangement, unless you have lobang here to beat them

BUT maybe for luxury contis ride it may be cheaper because of the gross premiums they command here.

But people still self import because it provides them the option to customize alot of factory options.

Hi guys.

Have read a number of posts that talk about bad experiences with PI's and how we have no choice if we want to get certain makes of cars.

What about importing on our own ?

Anyone here knows what is needed to self-import a car ?

Here are the basic rules I found out. Maybe more experienced bros can give more details...

1. Car cannot be more than 3 years old from exporting country.

2. Car must come from a country with equal or stricter emmision rules than SG.

Questions:

1. How to pay those ARF/PARF taxes?

2. How to find a shipper ? (Hello DHL.. I got a car, you charge by size or weight, ahh ?)

3. How much is shipping insurance ?

Interesting right ? Maybe if someone can try it out and post his experience, bros here be their own PI. Can save anywhere from 10K to 20-30K for luxury brands... Good enuf to cover the lack of local warrenty ???

Heh Heh... self importing is a piece of cake.

Shipper is the least of your worries.

Answer:

1) Pay cash, nets or cashier's order at LTA. So... you need to have the cash on hand before you can do self import. Otherwise, you have to suck it up and go through a dealer or someone who can do it for you (nothing comes free).

2) Shipping insurance is dependent on invoice value.

Errrr....

If you import by plane that'll be super expensive. What I heard n seen is mostly via ship which will take between 2 to 3 months (depending of FOB location unless you import from Malaysia or Thailand)

Shipment via Suez Canal from Europe (be it Rotterdam, Hamburg or Bremerhaven) takes at most 25 days.

I2) There is another constrain as well. The car imported must be holmogated by LTA, else the owner will have to pay for the holmogation fees, but i'm not sure of the price.

Just produce the EC Certificate of Conformity during registration and get the vehicle inspected by STA or Vicom prior to registration. Thats all it takes.

Neutral Newbie

Bro you sounded very expert, you're a PI [:p]

Anyway, the question i oso wanna ask is anyone successfully in securing local car loan to pay the overseas dealer for the purchase? Maybe can use current car or house or something as security?

Edited by Kinetics
↡ Advertisement