SPC 95 vs Shell 95 - My findings

Pool100

Hello folks... I'm driving a Vios and not sure if any of you have done a test on both grades of petrol mentioned above... but here're my findings:

SPC 95: Consistently giving me 16-17km/l... highest was 17km/l 2 weeks ago (648km for a full tank and topped up 38L to 1st click on the pump). I normally standardize by reading the mileage when last bar starts to blink.

Shell 95: Just switched to shell for my last tank and when the last bar started blinking today... the mileage read 550km only! Took me 38L to fill up too and so FC is around 14.5km/L only... KNS.

I noticed for each bar on the fuel gauge (vios uses digital fuel gauge with total 8 bars), SPC can travel around 90-110 km average... whereas for Shell, each bar gave me 70-80 km only...

So much for the excellent mileage claim from shell... all a load of BS it seems. Think I'll monitor a few more tanks to verify the results.

Btw, before anyone jumps on me, I must qualify that driving habits and routes are almost the same coz I'm the one driving.. so I know.

Edited by Pool100
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

always use SPC 92,cheapest in down. [flowerface]

To be frank, you may check the pump machine slight different, that give you different petrol for shell that why different milage. Personally i should see all should be more or less same for different brand, as they are from crude oil and give the same burning energy. [gossip]

I've done a test on SPC95, Shell95 & Techron95 on my ride. Same routes & driving habits too. Only driver too.

In terms of FC, it goes in this descending order, 1 being the best:

1) Techron95

2) SPC95

3) Shell95

In terms of $/km:

1) SPC95 (I have SPC & DBS card)

2) Techron95 (I have HSBC card)

3) Shell95 - only 11% discount. Don't know what other cards can give you more at Shell.

So, I'm very doubtful of the mileage claims by Shell. Unless it only applies to V-Power (didn't try) which is an absolute waste because my ride is designed for RON95 fuel. Furthermore, V-Power costs MUCH, MUCH more. Not too sure if it will give a return of equivalent mileage increase compared to the costs in percentage count.

For me. it's the opposite.

I tried SPC for about 3 tanks and gave up...there's a loss of power and milage as compared to Shell95 which i'm using now.

But i'm taking into consideration that my ECU was remapped to work with Shell95, so maybe that's why SPC didnt work well for me.

But personally, i doubt there's any difference, since both octanes are the same..you shouldn't see much diff in petrol...must see how your ECU handle and how it gets used to it lor..

But if you very free, try this la..take SPC05 and Shell95, same amount, put in a cup ans see which evaporates faster...i'm pretty sure SPC will...cause its been tested like this before :)

VPower will not give u better mileage as compare to Shell 95... it'll burned better to give u smoother feel n more power... infact the mileage drop when i pump Vpower... hitting 420km/l on 40litres of Vpower... normally i hit 480km/l on 40 litre of shell 95...

hi

how many times u fill up with Shell before u

come up with the average FC?

if it's only one full tank i reckon u shld

try a for about 3 full tanks before u have a

better ave.

i think the reason being is that ECU take time

to adjust the combustion.

personally, my gut feel is that Shell do give me

a better mileage.

but 95 - 98, have no diff in FC for me.

cheers

Thanx for sharing your findings..

But dun you think that SPC petrol does not seem to burn that well and, the engine seems to be wokring hard and acceleration is not smooth?

Ride feels better with Shell petrol though.

Actually that I agree with you... shell somehow kinda gives me a better driving feeling... but I'm still trying to see if it's mind games on my part...

But it's just amazing how SPC can give me consistently better FC... maybe I'll try caltex and esso one of these days too...

Just to share my personal experience with SPC98, Caltex98 and Shell98:

Shell98 12.90km/L (6 tanks)

Caltex98 12.77km/L (6 tanks)

SPC98 12.62km/L (3 tanks)

Driving pattern is 70%highway 30%city

I guess Shell's excellent mileage claims works for my car and driving habit [;)]

Shell98 gives me the smoothest drive [thumbsup] , SPC most sluggish [thumbsdown] . But currently using Caltex with WheelsAsia "$3 off for $40" coupon as it gives the most value [thumbsup][thumbsup] .

i pressume urs is manual and a very good FC .... uumm... maybe i should try SPc one of this day..... i only get 11~12km/l on mobil with my Auto vios... [shakehead]

Neutral Newbie

actually when u switch to another brand.. ist tank usually drink. coz it need to clean up the previous brand.

maybe u try 2nd tank. its will improve alots

nod.gifnod.gif after trying do share your findings..

I too share your sentiments that Shell have a better driving feel.. acceleration is smoother and dun feel that the engine is working very hard. drivingcar.gif

Neutral Newbie

Aiyah, all petrol feels the same to me cept SPC.

Only SPC give me Lau Hong feeling.

The rest Shell, Exxon, Caltex all feels just about the same. Take note i pump all at 95RON.

Whatever your results are, they are invalid. There is no double blind test. The only surest way to get unbiased results is from a double blind test.

Forget the testing. Just get the cheapest (most discounts) and best mileage from your experience and drive.

Nobody will fault you for it and nobody is going to prefer SPC, Shell or Mobil just because of your results.

Heard that some mentioned EssoMobil is more powerful than Shell and vice versa.

Personal view is that EssoMobil mileage is slightly lower than Shell, but more responsive.. probably that is what contributes to the lower mileage.

Has yet to try Caltex though.. always see lotsa taxi uncles gather there.. make me feel like Caltex is for cabbies.. laugh.giflipsrsealed.gif

No offence intended.

flowerface.gif